We are doomed

Beerball

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad I do not have any children. I'd likely make a good father but seeing society as it is and seeing how some of the people here I look up to parent - I just don't know how ya'll do it. My bonnet is tipped to all the parents and Beerballs of this thread.

edit: Does anyone with free time know of any time a coach was charged with abusing an athlete for making him run sprints or punishing them? I'd have to think somewhere someone was unfortunate enough to have found this to happen to them.

Edited by jboyst62

• 3 weeks later...
. . . Does anyone with free time know of any time a coach was charged with abusing an athlete for making him run sprints or punishing them? I'd have to think somewhere someone was unfortunate enough to have found this to happen to them.

Here's one, but the athlete died, so it's not your average sprint as punishment situation:

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/legislation-stemming-from-high-school-football-player-s-death-affects-kentucky-coaches.html

As an example of the potentially dire consequences of negligence in this area, he points to David Jason Stinson, Gilpin's rookie coach at Pleasure Ridge Park High School, who has pleaded not guilty to a criminal charge of reckless homicide for making the 6-foot-2, 220-pound sophomore run sprints with his teammates in 94-degree heat last August.

• 1 month later...

No way in hell I let my 7-year-old son walk alone to a park a half-mile away.

Though there's a difference between child endangerment and stupidity.

Why? What has changed in the last generation where this is no longer permitted. Now granted I grew up in a rural area but we were allowed to go and play anywhere alone including the local gravel pit where my uncle died in a cave in. My mother used to say "ok have fun but be careful you know your uncle died there. Yeeeeesssss mom :rolleyes:

Why? What has changed in the last generation where this is no longer permitted.

Too much time on people's hands. Every news story, gory story is plastered all over the place causing fear. Lawyers. Zero tolerance sue happy society. People worry too much and want to be "proactive." Society is less toelrant of failure/mistakes, see lawyers/sue happy society.

Why? What has changed in the last generation where this is no longer permitted. Now granted I grew up in a rural area but we were allowed to go and play anywhere alone including the local gravel pit where my uncle died in a cave in. My mother used to say "ok have fun but be careful you know your uncle died there. Yeeeeesssss mom :rolleyes:

One fear: child predator. They're everywhere, especially at parks in nice neighborhoods where everyone trusts each other. They are quick to grab, throw them in the car and take off. There are enough amber alerts in SoCal for me to ever think twice about letting a 7-year-old go for a half-mile walk to a park on his own.

One fear: child predator. They're everywhere, especially at parks in nice neighborhoods where everyone trusts each other. They are quick to grab, throw them in the car and take off. There are enough amber alerts in SoCal for me to ever think twice about letting a 7-year-old go for a half-mile walk to a park on his own.

Get him a concealed carry permit. Or he can bite his pop tart into the shape of a gun before he heads off. That's scary looking enough to scare them away right?

I am so glad I do not have any children. I'd likely make a good father but seeing society as it is and seeing how some of the people here I look up to parent - I just don't know how ya'll do.

I like to focus on the quality of the competition they'll face.

I am so glad I do not have any children. I'd likely make a good father but seeing society as it is and seeing how some of the people here I look up to parent - I just don't know how ya'll do it. My bonnet is tipped to all the parents and Beerballs of this thread.

Honestly, every generation has thought this way. Heck, even the Puritans thought society was going to hell in a handbasket. Well, I guess you could could kinda expect that with them. Yet, somehow we made it by living better & longer quality of lives... For most that is.

You gotta block out self-doubt. Well, within reason of course. Everything in life is moderation.

Its like waiting for a train. Every train that goes buy is full and you wait for the emptiest one. But the empitest one never comes. If you wait too long, you are counter-productive and never get to where you want/need to go. Eventually, you just have to board a full train. This doesn't mean sell yourself, ideals short, or lower your standards. Just stop trying to be too damn perfect.

To quote Wadsworth:

"If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth."

Notice the word little? Life is about using Kentucky windage well when you set your sights.

It's okay to dream grace, dream perfection and still live life.

Honestly, every generation has thought this way. Heck, even the Puritans thought society was going to hell in a handbasket. Well, I guess you could could kinda expect that with them. Yet, somehow we made it by living better & longer quality of lives... For most that is.

You gotta block out self-doubt. Well, within reason of course. Everything in life is moderation.

Its like waiting for a train. Every train that goes buy is full and you wait for the emptiest one. But the empitest one never comes. If you wait too long, you are counter-productive and never get to where you want/need to go. Eventually, you just have to board a full train. This doesn't mean sell yourself, ideals short, or lower your standards. Just stop trying to be too damn perfect.

To quote Wadsworth:

"If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth."

Notice the word little? Life is about using Kentucky windage well when you set your sights.

It's okay to dream grace, dream perfection and still live life.

I am visiting Kentucky next month. A friend and I have taken every other weekend this year for a day trip. We chose Kentucky to visit because there was no reason to go there and that was good enough reason to try it out. It's freaking Kentucky.

I am visiting Kentucky next month. A friend and I have taken every other weekend this year for a day trip. We chose Kentucky to visit because there was no reason to go there and that was good enough reason to try it out. It's freaking Kentucky.

See... Make sure you compensate.

Our day trip this weekend will be the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin... Going to kayak the Big Lake that we hiked on the ice in March... Hopefully we can get the same pictures by boat.

• 2 weeks later...