Gil Brandt looks at the six teams with the longest playoff droughts.

Buccaneers, Rams could end playoff droughts in 2014 season

The NFL offseason is a time for hope to blossom, buoyed by the twin fonts of optimism: free agency and the draft. The feeling that anything can happen when the season kicks off is pervasive, exciting even the fans of those teams whose most recent playoff appearances are but a distant memory.

But as those same fans can no doubt tell you, offseason excitement does not always -- or even often -- lead to in-season satisfaction. The teams mired in truly serious playoff droughts -- hello, Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns -- have been down this road before.

I don't know, I see four teams beating on each other and knocking each other down. I see San Fran improved. I see Seattle still good. I see Arizona young and hungry with a stable franchise and a very talented Rams team.

San Fran beats Seattle twice, Rams beat each one of their rivals once, San Fran loses 3 in he division, Arizona goes 50/50 in the division... I just don't know, I could see it going any which way but I would not count the Rams toward the bottom or say they do not look good enough to reach the playoffs.

I give them better odds then Cleveland.

^^

This! I am saying we win the AFCE this year. Said it a few weeks ago too and I am not backing off my prediction.

Cool!

Can TJ Graham be the 2014 season MVP, too? I just can't be that optimistic, at least, not yet.

#realityofbeingbillsfan.

I don't know, I see four teams beating on each other and knocking each other down. I see San Fran improved. I see Seattle still good. I see Arizona young and hungry with a stable franchise and a very talented Rams team.

San Fran beats Seattle twice, Rams beat each one of their rivals once, San Fran loses 3 in he division, Arizona goes 50/50 in the division... I just don't know, I could see it going any which way but I would not count the Rams toward the bottom or say they do not look good enough to reach the playoffs.

I give them better odds then Cleveland.

Can't see Arizona taking out SF twice. I do agree they will beat up on each other, though.

I also don't like Tampa's odds that much either. The NFC in general is much stronger.

Can't see Arizona taking out SF twice. I do agree they will beat up on each other, though.

I also don't like Tampa's odds that much either. The NFC in general is much stronger.

I didn't say Arizona takes them out twice, but you can't win the division without sweeping at least one opponent, and at this rate I do not think any team is capable of doing that.

Tampa, that gets interesting. New Orleans? Carolina? Atlanta? New Orleans might final buckle under the pressure they have building and what has been going on for so long. Carolina may go from first to worst this year, they remind me of the late 90's early 00's Eagles. Atlanta has a lot of ground to clear and rebuild on but if anything are slowly pulling up. Tampa is poised to finally gel, they have the talent.

I'll do this here so its on the books.

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Atlanta

New England

Buffalo

NJ Jets

Miami

San Fran

Seattle

St Louis

Arizona

Chicago

Green Bay

Detroit

Minnesota

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Jacksonville

Houston

San Diego

Denver

Kansas City

Oakland

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Dallas

NJ Giants

Washington

^Bold = playoffs

#yeah,we'rein.

Edited by jboyst62

I didn't say Arizona takes them out twice, but you can't win the division without sweeping at least one opponent, and at this rate I do not think any team is capable of doing that.

Tampa, that gets interesting. New Orleans? Carolina? Atlanta? New Orleans might final buckle under the pressure they have building and what has been going on for so long. Carolina may go from first to worst this year, they remind me of the late 90's early 00's Eagles. Atlanta has a lot of ground to clear and rebuild on but if anything are slowly pulling up. Tampa is poised to finally gel, they have the talent.

I'll do this here so its on the books.

New Orleans

Tampa

Carolina

Atlanta

New England

Buffalo

NJ Jets

Miami

San Fran

Seattle

St Louis

Arizona

Chicago

Green Bay

Detroit

Minnesota

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Jacksonville

Houston

San Diego

Denver

Kansas City

Oakland

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Dallas

NJ Giants

Washington

^Bold = playoffs

#yeah,we'rein.

You said SF takes out Seattle twice and the Rams beat each of their division rivals once and SF has 3 losses total in the division. The only was that happens is if AZ beats them twice.

I am kind of shocked that your'e putting San Diego atop the AFCW. Unless Peyton regresses badly, they are the clear #1 in the AFC again this. They've had massive upgrades on defense and Clady & Miller will return from injury.

I also think we're going to top the Jets.

You said SF takes out Seattle twice and the Rams beat each of their division rivals once and SF has 3 losses total in the division. The only was that happens is if AZ beats them twice.

I am kind of shocked that your'e putting San Diego atop the AFCW. Unless Peyton regresses badly, they are the clear #1 in the AFC again this. They've had massive upgrades on defense and Clady & Miller will return from injury.

I also think we're going to top the Jets.

I didn't do that much math. Ok, Arizona and SF tie, 6-6 in the first matchup. How's that?!

San Diego is good, I like the team and see Rivers as the league MVP this year. Plus, I don't want to see Denver look so damn good and then choke when it matters.

"Realistically, I don't see Buffalo competing for a postseason berth until 2015."

Which might come too late to save this regime.

This meme has been repeated so often people take it as gospel. Not happening. Russ, Doug and Doug aren't going anywhere, new owner or not.