Sammy Watkins - #30 Fantasy WR

Conservatively, I'd peg him at about 750-800 yds and 6-8 TDs, so it's hard for me to argue with that ranking. Rookie WRs rarely put up big numbers, but I wouldn't really be surprised if he surpassed 1,000 yds.

I was positive this was going to be a I can't believe they have him all the down at 30 on their list and more buffalo hate

Watkins can easily be a boom or bust fantasy player as it will like everything else come down to EJ and Hackett

As a fantasy football enthusiast, I almost always grab one of the most highly touted rookies available. Other than the odd running back here or there, rookies (WR in particular) almost never have any real fantasy football impact. If they do, it normally comes very late in the season.

Edited by Buftex

ESPN has Sammy Watkins listed as the #30 WR and #73 overall player for 2014 Fantasy Football. Too high? Too low? or Just Right?

Link

I think its a fair initial ranking given so much unknown coupled with so much promise. Its true that a rookie WR doesn't typically make a big first year impact as others have said, however, there are not many rookie Elite Prospect WR's of his level that come into the league. And its not uncommon for an Elite prospect like him to produce well in his rookie year.

I actually think he will exceed the top 30 ranking pretty easily...here is why I believe him to be a candidate for the exception and not the norm:

1. He's obviously an Elite talent, but more importantly, one of the things he does best is make plays with the ball. That means he's not a guy who depends on the long ball only to make an impact giving him more opportunity.

2. I know we only won 6 games, but we were 5 plays or so away from winning 10. This is a much more talented team than many give it credit for. He's coming into a situation where there are a lot of weapons on this team and the potential to be explosive is there.

3. He's essentially the #1 WR out the gate. No disrespect to Woods or Williams (who are very talented as well), but they didn't trade up for him to be anything other than a #1 target. And with all the other talent at WR, its going to open up lots of opportunity for him.

4. He's got great hands, runs great routes, and has a work ethic that matches his talent. Lots of WR's coming into the NFL are talented in one way or the other...this kid is talented in all areas of the WR position and he is going to out work, out study, and out prepare just about everyone else based on how he handled himself in college and so far in rookie camp (first on the field, last off).

In the end, I think this kid is going to catch 80+ passes, 1200+ yards, and 8+ TDs as a rookie. And not because I am a Bills fan, because of the kids talent coupled with his opportunity and situation here in Buffalo.

In terms of fantasy, I would be happy nabbing him in the mid rounds. I think he's more likely a 5th to 8th round pick in most draft formats, all really depends on how preseason goes. I would be very satisfied with him as my #2 WR in fantasy and grabbing him in the 6th, especially if it allowed me to load grab a top QB, 2 RB's, a top 5 TE and a #1 WR ahead of him.

Go Bills!!!!