In ground Pool question

Gordio

Okay so I opened my pool about 3 weeks ago. Since the weather in WNY has been let's jusat say on the frosty side this spring I told myself I better check the heater this past weekend to make sure it fires up just for the odd chance that we get a few days above 65 degrees in a row before the 4th of July. The pilot will not light at all. I first tried to use the ignition & then I tried to light it manually. It is not getting no gas. I think something must be cloggng it because I could smell a little gas when I press down on the pilot. Has anybody ever had this problem?

My 2nd part of the question/idea is this. I called 4 different pool places today & everyone said they are booked solid with pool openings until July. I moved in my house 8 years ago & for the first three years I would pay Majestic $300 to open my pool. One year I decided to watch them do it & I said jesus what am I paying these guys for. All they do is unscrew the plugs, poor the $20 starter kit in the pool & flood the filter. So the last 5 years I have been opening my pool myself. The closing I have one of my friends come over & we close it together. My thought is getting a side business going that just opens pools. I don't really want to get into closing the pools since it is a little more complicated & I don't want to be responsible for screwing up & having someones pipes freeze. I would just do it on the weekends try to get maybe 10 closings a weekend & just do it from April to memorial day. I could probably make 7/8 grand doing it with what would amount to a couple hours of work for maybe 8/9 sat/sun a year.

Edited by Gordio

Probably the gas control valve. Why would a gas line be clogged? After the brutal winter, the valve took a beating. Is there anyway to change the whole thing out? I never dealt with a pool heater, is it like a hot water tank?

Anyway... Glad you got a heater! Two words: solar cover. I hear they swim outside in Sweden too in the winter... With the help of heaters that is.

;-P ;-)

Sorry Gordio... I had to get the "tundra" digs in! Most of Lake Erie is already in the 60's now... That's perfect!

All in good fun, I feel your pain. ;-)

Check the gas line for clogs, spiders are notorious for clogging gas lines. If you have an air compressor, try to clear the lines with that, otherwise, visually check the venturi tubes for spider web, carcasses.

Check the gas line for clogs, spiders are notorious for clogging gas lines. If you have an air compressor, try to clear the lines with that, otherwise, visually check the venturi tubes for spider web, carcasses.

Okay, my father in law going to come over and bring his air compressor. When I googled it it seems like this is what likely happened. Hopefully that is all it is because I don't feel like dropping a lot of money to get this fixed.

Illinois - the pool came with a heater. It also came with a solar cover but I ended up throwing it out. The heater works way better. It heats up the pool about 1.5 degrees an hour. So if I know the kids want to go swimming the night before I will fire it up before I go to bed at night & the next morning it is usually in the low 80's. I usually don't use the heater from mid June to mid August because the water is ually around or little above 80 naturally but it extends the pool season for the kids from May until we have gone in it as late as the first week of October. But without the heater with the cool nights we have your looking at really only about a 2 month season.

BTW, the solar covers suck imo. My deep end is 10 feet deep & the solar cover only heats the top of the pool. & it was a pain in the ass to put on & off & a eye soar to look at. That is why I threw it out.

Edited by Gordio

That would be gas line past the shut off @ the control valve?

Gordio: Do you continue to smell gas or was it just a one time deal? I would think if something is clogging the valve, a continued smell of gas (even slight) would be noticed.

That would be gas line past the shut off @ the control valve?

Gordio: Do you continue to smell gas or was it just a one time deal? I would think if something is clogging the valve, a continued smell of gas (even slight) would be noticed.

Well I have a shutoff valve going into the heater & I have that turned off since I can't get it lit. I did smell gas when it was on but it was not a ton. Just a slight smell.

I have had spiders clog my gas lines in my grills many times. I would bet it is simply this.

Fun Fact: Jack Roush, of NASCAR fame heats his pool and keeps it open all year round with a temperature always above 80F.

#themoreyouknow

Edited by jboyst62

I feel your pain, my wife wont go in the pool till the water temp is about 90

That's disgusting! ;-P Yuck!

The way the year is shaping up, hope Gordio gets his heater fixed! I think we are going to have a lot of cool days even though its going to be in the mid 80's for a bunch days during the next 10 days... Just feels a lot cooler this year. I have only fired up my a/c a few times so far and it is mid-May! My parents in Buffalo have had an in-ground pool (fiberglass tub type) for the past 35 years and all they ever used was a solar cover. That takes it into the high 70's.

Speaking of WNY and pools, what's the phenom with all the pools in the area? I think I read one time where the area is one of the highest for pools per house? Is that still true? My parents don't even have a/c, but they have had a pool forever... Heck, last time I bought a car in WNY, I didn't even get a/c in it? Can you still buy a car withOUT a/c? I think it is standard now???

That's disgusting! ;-P Yuck!

The way the year is shaping up, hope Gordio gets his heater fixed! I think we are going to have a lot of cool days even though its going to be in the mid 80's for a bunch days during the next 10 days... Just feels a lot cooler this year. I have only fired up my a/c a few times so far and it is mid-May! My parents in Buffalo have had an in-ground pool (fiberglass tub type) for the past 35 years and all they ever used was a solar cover. That takes it into the high 70's.

Speaking of WNY and pools, what's the phenom with all the pools in the area? I think I read one time where the area is one of the highest for pools per house? Is that still true? My parents don't even have a/c, but they have had a pool forever... Heck, last time I bought a car in WNY, I didn't even get a/c in it? Can you still buy a car withOUT a/c? I think it is standard now???

It is kind of wierd given the cooler climate. When my subdivision was being built Majestic must of been giving deals on inground pools because there are a ton of them in my neighborhood. My pool is pretty big. It is oval & I think it is 34x16. I never understood like down in Florida that people don't have nicer inground pools. They only have those little utility pools that an average size bathtub is bigger then.

Why am I imagining a future picture of Gordio sans eyebrows?

Funny, that is exactly what my dad said when I told him . I got my father in law coming over Friday to take a look at it. He is preetty handy. Your right if it was me doing the work there would be a good chance my house would of been blown up to the other side of the neighborhood.

Edited by Gordio

Funny, that is exactly what my dad said when I told him . I got my father in law coming over Friday to take a look at it. He is preetty handy. Your right if it was me doing the work there would be a good chance my house would of been blown up to the other side of the neighborhood.

Luckily you have a pool full of water nearby. No need to "drop and roll" just run and dive baby!!

BTW here in CA it used to be that the gas company would come out for free for those things at least in the restaurants where I worked. I'd have them come out on a regular basis and clean out all the burners for free. One guy would actually get pissed if I did it myself.

Luckily you have a pool full of water nearby. No need to "drop and roll" just run and dive baby!!

BTW here in CA it used to be that the gas company would come out for free for those things at least in the restaurants where I worked. I'd have them come out on a regular basis and clean out all the burners for free. One guy would actually get pissed if I did it myself.

Not a bad idea, maybe I will give them a call before I do anything.

Not a bad idea, maybe I will give them a call before I do anything.

I would. It's worth a try. I was surprised they did all that for free. "Part of our service sir." But then again they're the ones that blew up a town here in the Bay Area a few years ago. Miss driving by the fireball by 20 minutes.

I would. It's worth a try. I was surprised they did all that for free. "Part of our service sir." But then again they're the ones that blew up a town here in the Bay Area a few years ago. Miss driving by the fireball by 20 minutes.

Just called national Fuel, the lady told me I need to call a license contractor. Thanks for nothing national Fuel, god forbid you try to help someone out right before the holiday weekend.

Just called national Fuel, the lady told me I need to call a license contractor. Thanks for nothing national Fuel, god forbid you try to help someone out right before the holiday weekend.

Well at least you tried. Your eyebrows probably need a trim anyway. It's not a bad look actualy.

uncle%20leo.jpg

LoL... They should take care of everything before the meter. Speaking of natural gas (National Fuel), my father-in-law worked for them for years as a welder before retiring... He said always make sure the vent @ the meter/regulator is clear... There is a screen underneath it (vent), clear that out, keep it clean (bugs, dirt, cottonwood pollen, etc..) Especially in the winter if the snow drifts up to it.

Gordio, you don't got a snow drift piling up against the vent... Do you? As I duck... Just kidding... Hope your FiL can get it squared away on Friday!

Oh... Is it in an open space, well vented?... Then no worries what Jim said about blowing up, but he is right about jumping in the pool! ;-) ;-) Run around a bit (for added effect) before diving in! ;-) ;-)

Good luck!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Okay I will admit I am too stupid to live. My brother in law comes over last night takes one look at it, goes in the house says the gas is not turned on going to the outside, turns it on & it fires up. It is weird because I thought I smelled a little gas before. I don't know, maybe it was just me farting. 25 years of boozing, my sense of judgement is not what it used to be.

Edited by Gordio

Okay I will admit I am too stupid to live. My brother in law comes over last night takes one look at it, goes in the house says the gas is not turned on going to the outside, turns it on & it fires up. It is weird because I thought I smelled a little gas before. I don't know, maybe it was just me farting. 25 years of boozing, my sense of judgement is not what it used to be.

Thanks for the laugh man. And it takes a man to admit that kind of mistake. Now pour yourself a beer, mix the wife a margarita or three and enjoy your long weekend!