The Chuck Pollock article about fans reactions to the draft

Those who think this was a bad draft do so because they think the Bills should have used either this year or next years first round pick on a QB. Neither of those things were ever going to happen.

Again, I ask anyone "Who is this great QB in next years draft that's going to take the Bills to the playoffs and beyond"?( not named Jameis Winston) I really believe that many of the EJ Manuel bashers are pissed that the Bills didn't draft Johnny Manziel. I wonder how the draftniks would rate the draft had they somehow acquired Manziel?

You had me until you started discussing Henderson. I'm sorry, but even though he has the physical tools to be a first round talent, he has never shown on the field that he can put it together and perform like a first round talent. He was never the dominate force the Hurricanes expected him to be when he signed with them. He was a constant disappointment. Add to that the character issues and I don't see anyway this guy becomes an effective NFL player. I noted this in his thread, every other player that dropped or did not get drafted in the past with character issues who had success in the NFL, were high impact players at the college level. Moss, Lewis, Honey Badger to name a few. The only one who fell and did not perform well in college that worked out (that I can think of at least) is Vontaze Burfect. I mean, how seriously is Henderson going to take his career if he can't even quit smoking the bud for a known upcoming drug test (combine) and the enormous impact he would (and did) feel from failing this test. You can't fix stupid.

I hear your concerns about Henderson. I guess my comment was more that they got him in the 7th round, and if somehow his stupid is fixed, he is a 1st round talent. The talent has always been there. I'm sure they vetted him well, and from what I've read he performed well at Miami, when he was actually playing. I think you can (sometimes) fix stupid, but you can't create talent like that.

I hear your concerns about Henderson. I guess my comment was more that they got him in the 7th round, and if somehow his stupid is fixed, he is a 1st round talent. The talent has always been there. I'm sure they vetted him well, and from what I've read he performed well at Miami, when he was actually playing. I think you can (sometimes) fix stupid, but you can't create talent like that.

Some people take longer to mature than others. Hopefully the thought of nearly blowing his shot in the NFL motivates him to make better decisions. Debate about ability to rehab stupid aside, you can't teach size or natural athleticism. Maybe he's ready to try to reach his potential now that it's now or never.

Edited by transient

Again, I ask anyone "Who is this great QB in next years draft that's going to take the Bills to the playoffs and beyond"?( not named Jameis Winston) I really believe that many of the EJ Manuel bashers are pissed that the Bills didn't draft Johnny Manziel. I wonder how the draftniks would rate the draft had they somehow acquired Manziel?

This is just laziness based on not knowing. Just because you don't know anything about next year's draft doesn't mean there aren't top-tier QBs available. The year RGIII came out he was a third-round pick who many thought would have to switch positions (not me as I correctly predicted he would win the Heisman and be a high pick). Marcus Mariota is arguably already better than Winston. Then there is Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty and a few more potential first-round picks.

The notion that there is no chance that the team would consider a QB high in the 2015 draft is laughable. If EJ gets hurt multiple times (or once major) this year or just plays terrible then they'll look at other options. You don't sit around and wait in this league anymore.

This is just laziness based on not knowing. Just because you don't know anything about next year's draft doesn't mean there aren't top-tier QBs available. The year RGIII came out he was a third-round pick who many thought would have to switch positions (not me as I correctly predicted he would win the Heisman and be a high pick). Marcus Mariota is arguably already better than Winston. Then there is Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty and a few more potential first-round picks.

The notion that there is no chance that the team would consider a QB high in the 2015 draft is laughable. If EJ gets hurt multiple times (or once major) this year or just plays terrible then they'll look at other options. You don't sit around and wait in this league anymore.

So RGIII was considered a 3rd rd pick? The Redskins gave up a king's ransom for a 3rd rd pick? And your bashing the Bills for giving up a 2015 1st rd pick for arguably the best player in this years draft? You sound as though you work for Fix news. When was RGIII ever considered a 3rd pick that possibly had to change positions? I'd like to know the source of that information. Now as for the QBs you listed as potential candidates in the 2015 draft many of them aren't any better than those that went later in this years draft. Hundley, Petty, Mariota there was a reason they stayed in school and it wasn't academics. If you really think that Mariota is as good/better than Winston then I question your football aptitude. Winston played 1 year in college and took his team to the championship. Mariota had a talent laden team for years and couldn't accomplish this feat. Teams don't sit and wait for QBs to develop anymore, then apparently you didn't listen to what the Jaguars said they were going to do with their 3rd pick in the draft. I guess I'm not the only lazy one for not knowing!

Had to break down the poor points in your post... Here goes.

So RGIII was considered a 3rd rd pick? The Redskins gave up a king's ransom for a 3rd rd pick?

This part was because of a mistake on my end. I know I said "the year he came out," but I meant going into that season. He was projected as a third/fourth round pick going into his final year at college. McShay (an idiot) said that he may have to change positions. Then he had that crazy season and shot up the boards.

And your bashing the Bills for giving up a 2015 1st rd pick for arguably the best player in this years draft? You sound as though you work for Fix news. When was RGIII ever considered a 3rd pick that possibly had to change positions? I'd like to know the source of that information.

I'm not bashing the Bills. I am just saying that blindly stating that there are no QBs in the 2015 draft AND stating that there's no chance Buffalo will consider one if EJ fails is laughable.

Now as for the QBs you listed as potential candidates in the 2015 draft many of them aren't any better than those that went later in this years draft. Hundley, Petty, Mariota there was a reason they stayed in school and it wasn't academics.

Actually, Petty did return for academic reasons. He promised that he would stay and get his degree, and he's fulfilling that promise. He would've likely been a first-round or, at worst, an early-second round selection had he come out.

Mariota likely went back because he wants to win a championship with Oregon. He would've been a top-five pick, and, quite possibly, the number one overall pick of this draft had he come out.

Hundley stayed in because, while he would've gotten high grades and went high, he knows he has a little bit more to work on. By 2015 he could very well be complete and find himself in the top ten.

If you really think that Mariota is as good/better than Winston then I question your football aptitude. Winston played 1 year in college and took his team to the championship. Mariota had a talent laden team for years and couldn't accomplish this feat.

I didn't say this. I said arguably. Some experts already say that Mariota is better. Or have him going higher because he hasn't done the dumb things that Winston has done. Mariota is nearly as talented and far less risky off the field.

Teams don't sit and wait for QBs to develop anymore, then apparently you didn't listen to what the Jaguars said they were going to do with their 3rd pick in the draft. I guess I'm not the only lazy one for not knowing!

There's a large difference, and it's stupid to ignore. The Jaguars are sitting their guy because they think he's best suited waiting a year. Manuel has already played. Teams aren't as likely to sit there for three years and watch a guy get hurt constantly and then perform poorly. Manuel will have to step up and stay healthy sooner rather than later.

Edited by SBUffalo

I think the Bills have had a good draft and off-season in general.

I was really glad we selected 3 OL in the draft - all with potential to be starters. Our offensive line needs to get better. The talents of good skill position players can be negated by bad line play.

While I'm excited about Sammy Watkins, I do wonder if the price was too high. Using two first-round draft picks to acquire one first-round talent isn't a sound draft strategy. Apparently, though, Whaley thinks Watkins will be special as a pro. I hope he's right.

A lot, obviously, is riding on EJ. If EJ plays well, our draft will look better because we'll earn some wins.

I think the opinion that Whaley wants to win now is both right and wrong. Of course he wants to win this season. He should be fired if he doesn't. But Whaley is clearly thinking long term, surrounding EJ with a lot of young talent.

Pollock is simply writing about his experience receiving a lot of negative commentary. None of it really matters. We fans typically don't know jack about the quality of a draft. Let's see what happens in the fall.

A lot, obviously, is riding on EJ. If EJ plays well, our draft will look better because we'll earn some wins.

I think the opinion that Whaley wants to win now is both right and wrong. Of course he wants to win this season. He should be fired if he doesn't. But Whaley is clearly thinking long term, surrounding EJ with a lot of young talent.

In principle, I agree. I do, however, think the current draft is somewhat reflective of an urgency that this FO senses to prove EJ was the right pick last year. Whaley essentially admitted after the draft last year that his fate was tied to EJ, and if he struggles this year, a new owner is likely to clean house, irrespective of this year's draft, IMO. While an argument can be made that this year's draft should help in years to come, I feel the intent of all of the trades (Williams and Brown included) was meant to bring immediate help to EJ, specifically, and the team by extension.