Congrats to Michael Sam

Gugny

I'd offer a free facepalm for you, but I'm going to go pull a stunt with my wife instead.

I understand he should be able to do whatever he wants. I understand it shouldn't be a big deal for society. But it is. He knew cameras were on him and he did it anyway. Which drums up even more controversy and will end up hurting him more than helping. If he just hugged his boyfriend, like everyone else does, instead of what he did, there would be less hate and manufactured controversy thrown about. He's on a fast track to be the media spotlight and give the Rams more excuses to cut him. Tebow wasn't drummed out of the league because of the way he acted, it was the way the media and populace fed off the way he acted. You might see the same thing happen to Sam.

It may seem insensitive to preach "baby steps" when changing cultural norms, but it works. Just look at all civil rights movements in this country.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand he should be able to do whatever he wants. I understand it shouldn't be a big deal for society. But it is. He knew cameras were on him and he did it anyway. Which drums up even more controversy and will end up hurting him more than helping. If he just hugged his boyfriend, like everyone else does, instead of what he did, there would be less hate and manufactured controversy thrown about. He's on a fast track to be the media spotlight and give the Rams more excuses to cut him. Tebow wasn't drummed out of the league because of the way he acted, it was the way the media and populace fed off the way he acted. You might see the same thing happen to Sam.

It may seem insensitive to preach "baby steps" when changing cultural norms, but it works. Just look at all civil rights movements in this country.

Yeah, no other drafted player ever kisses their girlfriend when they get drafted. I think you're just uncomfortable because you got turned on a bit. :)

It amazes me that the "gay dudes make me puke" and the "gay dudes kissing are trying to turn my kid gay" crowd can't see how hilariously backward they are.

Seriously, you are the people that were against black people using your drinking fountain.

You are the people that were against women being able to vote.

Bigoted, closed-minded people like you have been, and will continue to be on the wrong side of history. 40 years from now, people will look back and laugh at your antiquated, simpleton views with the same disdain they have for the misogynists and the racists. They will roll their eyes at you and feel sympathy for how dumb and sad you must have been while trying to look back and imagine how people could have possibly been so silly in the olden days.

Yeah, no other drafted player ever kisses their girlfriend when they get drafted. I think you're just uncomfortable because you got turned on a bit. :)

Nope, I'm uncomfortable because it's been a hot button issue since he's been drafted. On news sites, tv, espn. These are places that don't mind separating themselves from, yet constantly bringing up homophobic and hateful remarks in order to be interesting. They build up the story with whatever ammunition they find. And Sam gave them a buttload (ha).

He says he wants to be a football player first, gay second. He should have been more discreet. That's all.

Edited by FireChan

He says he wants to be a football player first, gay second. He should have been more discreet. That's all.

I guess he should have tackled his boyfriend first to show his technique before he kissed him.

I'm waiting for, "Ya know, if they allow this then next they'll allow football players to kiss their dogs."

I guess he should have tackled his boyfriend first to show his technique before he kissed him.

I'm waiting for, "Ya know, if they allow this then next they'll allow football players to kiss their dogs."

You'll be waiting a long time.

This was done in a country where gay rights is an issue. A country where there's a large portion of religious citizens. So this story is plastered about and talked about as naseum. Is that a distraction?

I know it's impossible for things to be partly anyone's fault in this culture. When the Rams get swarmed with Sam questions and cameras, and they finally cut him, they'll be bigots and Sam will be a golden boy.

Edited by FireChan