Ebron, Donald or trade down

I'm not convinced that is the case...Whaley said the last thing you want to do is show your hand...If the Bills trade up this year one thing is crystal clear...They showed their hand big time because everyone and their mother is saying they want to do so...

I think in the end the Doug's...and Brandon... are going to stick to their plan to best assure their future...And I doubt very much their plan ever called for giving up too much as far as Draft picks go...Both Whaley and Brandon were mentored by Nix, for better or worse, and it was not Buddy's philosophy to give up premium Draft picks...I certainly could be wrong, but I don't see these guys as the panic types...I think they would love to get their hands on Watkins or Evans, but I also think they understand you can't get em' all, and in the end if the top 8 does not fall your way there are FAR worse things then trading down a bit and picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd...I think they look at last year and see they landed one of the best young players in the league (Kiko) by scouting well and trading down...I think Brandon/Whaley/Marrone view the 2013 Draft as a great success and a HUGE step in the right direction...And I think when you have success doing things a certain way you stick to it...

So if anything, I would expect a trade down if Watkins and Evans are gone as expected...I think if the top OT's, Watkins, and Evans are gone, and they stay at #9 because they can't find a trading partner, they will go ahead and take Ebron because they feel he is the guy at that point that can help EJ most...In a trade down scenario I think they'll still be hoping for Ebron to slide a bit...But if not I expect Martin to be the target...I think the sleeper in a trade down situation will be Kouandjio assuming his knee checked out... B-)

In terms of having a vision for building a 21st century football team, Buddy Nix was way behind the times. His objective was to build a team and then get a QB, which is exactly opposite of what teams are doing and the slowest way of rebuilding. Buddy Nix was renowned for letting the draft come to him and yet last year Whaley (and I know Nix was there) made the trade to drop down. Buddy's first pick was a RB...the league is now throwing the ball. As a result of his tenure the Bills were forced to draft a QB high when Nix was presumably pushed to the side in 2013 when Brandon took control.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but there's a completely different dynamic to this year's draft: pending ownership change. And I believe that new owner wants to win now after investing big dollars to buy the franchise. The Doug's know this and need a player to help them win in 2014, not next year or 2016.

We don't know where these rumors are about Buffalo wanting to trade up. McShay reported something and it's come up elsewhere. Perhaps it's subterfuge, perhaps not. But the writing is on the wall for Buffalo to win in 2014 or else.

In terms of having a vision for building a 21st century football team, Buddy Nix was way behind the times. His objective was to build a team and then get a QB, which is exactly opposite of what teams are doing and the slowest way of rebuilding. Buddy Nix was renowned for letting the draft come to him and yet last year Whaley (and I know Nix was there) made the trade to drop down. Buddy's first pick was a RB...the league is now throwing the ball. As a result of his tenure the Bills were forced to draft a QB high when Nix was presumably pushed to the side in 2013 when Brandon took control.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but there's a completely different dynamic to this year's draft: pending ownership change. And I believe that new owner wants to win now after investing big dollars to buy the franchise. The Doug's know this and need a player to help them win in 2014, not next year or 2016.

We don't know where these rumors are about Buffalo wanting to trade up. McShay reported something and it's come up elsewhere. Perhaps it's subterfuge, perhaps not. But the writing is on the wall for Buffalo to win in 2014 or else.

Totally agree on the winning thing...No question that is a fact...

And like I said about Nix as mentor thing...For better or worse...I would hope you knew by now my disdain for Buddy...I tried to tell everyone here personally...Did you not get my note?... :lol:

Edited by KOKBILLS

I like the trade down option. I don't like the idea of Ebron. A no-block TE that hasn't demonstrated that he is a significant scoring threat in the red-zone is nothing more than a WR - and I prefer several WRs in this draft to Ebron in that capacity.

If they pick Ebron, I'll hope that he pans out into a good offensive weapon, but I would rather let another team take that risk.

YouTube: Miami vs North Carolina...the full game is on there, you'll see he's every bit the blocker we need and you'll see how amazingly fast he is, when he runs away from the Miami defenders. He dictates coverage, yes he has flaws, drops the occasional pass, but he can correct the mistakes.

With the NFL middle as soft as it is, we need a guy who can take a 5 in route and make it a 20 yard gain...Ebron can.

YouTube: Miami vs North Carolina...the full game is on there, you'll see he's every bit the blocker we need and you'll see how amazingly fast he is, when he runs away from the Miami defenders. He dictates coverage, yes he has flaws, drops the occasional pass, but he can correct the mistakes.

With the NFL middle as soft as it is, we need a guy who can take a 5 in route and make it a 20 yard gain...Ebron can.

He is certainly athletic and fast. I know that he is a good prospect, I just don't think he is a great prospect. I do worry about him not living up to his potential. I like the players who are described as ultra hard workers that are dedicated to being the best player that they can be and I haven't seen that written about Ebron.

Not sure we need to take a tight end this year, though would be fine with Ebron. Not sold on Jenkins. Love the idea of trading down. We need two O-Line and a DE. Plus would like a couple of skill players. Means one more year of needing picks in numbers. Roster talent level is up, IMHO, but not quite there yet. Down to 12 get a second, take Martin at 12, RB plus WR or TE with our 2 seconds, guard in the third. Loving something like that.

Not sure we need to take a tight end this year, though would be fine with Ebron. Not sold on Jenkins. Love the idea of trading down. We need two O-Line and a DE. Plus would like a couple of skill players. Means one more year of needing picks in numbers. Roster talent level is up, IMHO, but not quite there yet. Down to 12 get a second, take Martin at 12, RB plus WR or TE with our 2 seconds, guard in the third. Loving something like that.

I could go for that Marlin

In a trade down from 9 to 12 it's likely the best the Bills could hope for is a 3rd round pick in return...And seeing as though the Giants would probably be coming up for either Ebron or Martin, I'm not sure they are the best trade partner for the Bills...If the Giants came up to get Martin, then Detroit took Ebron, the Bills would seemingly be out in the cold with only an extra 3rd to show for it...

The Bills are in a tough spot if only one of those QB's goes in the top 8...Unless there is a big surprise and a player like Barr, Mosley, or Donald somehow sneak up to Atlanta, Tampa Bay, or Minnesota... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Not sure there is a big difference between a second and third this year. Giants' third is a high third. Plus, not sure your right that we can't get a two. And if I was trading with Gints, I would make sure they were after the one of Ebron/Martin I did not want.

I agree with you about possible tough stop for our Buffalos though. If the three tackles are gone, i don't like it. Possible silver lining: If the tackles are gone and the quarterbacks all there, our pick could become quite valuable to a team needing a QB!

Not sure there is a big difference between a second and third this year. Giants' third is a high third. Plus, not sure your right that we can't get a two. And if I was trading with Gints, I would make sure they were after the one of Ebron/Martin I did not want.

I agree with you about possible tough stop for our Buffalos though. If the three tackles are gone, i don't like it. Possible silver lining: If the tackles are gone and the quarterbacks all there, our pick could become quite valuable to a team needing a QB!

From 9 to 12 I would say I'm likely to be 99.9% right...On the trade chart you're talking about a difference of 150 points...The Giants 2nd round pick is worth 470...Believe in the Trade chart or not, that's a sizable gap...If we wanted the Giants 2nd round pick to trade down 3 spots at the very least we would have to give them back our 3rd...And even that leaves the Giants short value-wise...NY is not Oakland...You're not going to get over on them that easily...

I agree they may be in a nice spot if all the QB's are still there at #9...If Manziel remains at #9 I think the Bills are in business...And I expect the Cowboys to at least try to come up...Now that trade would result in a 2nd round pick for the Bills... ;)

I am torn. My guess is that there will be someone the Bills covet and has a good chance of falling to them at 9. Who they covet as a player though is the question. I don't think it is a TE or WR. If I am gauging Whaley correctly, it will be an impact player on either the OL or DL. That could be a tackle, DLman, LB. My guess is that the Bills may be looking at moving up if one of those players is still available at say the #5 spot and actually trade up. Oakland needs a lot of help and could be looking for extra picks.

Maybe the Bills get a top rated LB like Mack or one of the dominant OTs, in a trade up.

If the guy they really covet is gone before that, no trade up. So looking at staying at #9, I can see Buffalo still sticking with the game plan of OT, DL, LB. It just won't be the one they covet the most.

Now the trade down scenario is a bit different. They may not have to go for the most impactful lineman. They may then go with skill positions first like WR or TE first and then address the lines. Depends on how the draft plays out. I just don't think the Bills really feel the TE or WR position is something you address top 10 in the NFL. This is dominant linemen and franchise QB territory. Skill positions can be addressed in mid rounds and later in the 1st round.

I know a lot of people are looking for the next Jimmy Graham or Andre Reed but the likelihood of hitting is too great with your top ten pick. You need to be sure you are putting the most dominant men in the trenches before you go looking for this kind of player. Plus, the lines on this team have greater weaknesses on this team, especially at RT and LB. TE and WR are not as weak.

Edited by Rockinon