Getting a new job while starting a new job: Advice, please?

boyst

Well, being that farming does not pay me much I keep a regular job. Nothing fancy, mostly logistics and running warehouses.

In 2010 when laid off as that company closed I began looking for new jobs that were the next step up and all of them told me that I need broader experience. I came across a fairly nice paying job running a production group operating the machines for the crew. It paid me very well for no experience and I got a lot of experience. Well, that company, Thomasville, closed, too. So, I began looking for work. I put out 100's of resumes, applications, etc. I did not hear much back so immediately took the job that looked the most flexible and had the most upside - one of the largest employers in the county.

So, I started there two weeks after I finished my last job. It's been a bit of a tough time for me because it's about 3 steps back in my resume and experience and a major drop in pay. But it beat unemployment despite the 12% pay cut and I will be getting a 5% raise after 90 days. The job looks promising, though, and I have an opportunity to move ahead already since one of the supervisors has left the 2nd shift Group Leader. I was told I would likely get a shot at interviewing, though the responsibilities are tremendous and the pay would only go up marginally.

However, yesterday I get a call back from a company that was looking for a canidate to take a position with the machinary I previously ran for 3 years at Thomasville. I am more then qualified and I was in a position to play hardball. I did and was offered an interview for a position which would start me out 25% then currently paid and 12% above what I was making at Thomasville. This isn't glorious position but hte pay seems good and it is in textiles on a machine that few people can run in the workplace. The drawback - I would have to start work as a temporary employee and work so many hours before being hired and then go thru a 90 day probationary period to be eligible for benes. At the end of 90 days the pay would go up to what amounts to 35% more then I make now.

Am I a fool to be apprehensive to take the position? The long term of textiles in this country is shoddy, where as logistics and supply chain positions like I have generally had are much more flexible.

The opportunity at the company I am with may one day be greater but that is unlikely for the next 2 or 3 years. They aren't going anywhere and are one of the leaders in this country in their line of work.

Do I take the short term outlook, go for the money and keep looking to get back in the field I want for the money I want? Its going to burn a bridge at the current job if I leave there so quickly I must imagine. And I am not sure how it will look on a resume down the line - or if I would even include it.

Soooo, any advice on this one fella's?

Can you try to take a bit less in pay in exchange for them waiving the temp period and starting the 90 days probation immediately? You're trading pay for stability. They might go for it seeing as how you have the experience on those machines already.

Can you try to take a bit less in pay in exchange for them waiving the temp period and starting the 90 days probation immediately? You're trading pay for stability. They might go for it seeing as how you have the experience on those machines already.

Great idea. I thought of asking if they would consider hiring me on directly in any way but that might be a bargaining chip.

I meet with the plant manager Friday to go over all of this. He has viewed my resume and has expressed great interest in hiring me because of my background.

Follow your heart. But if you do jump ship, don't even mention current employer on your resume.

My heart says by the time I am 40 I will be doing the farm full time. This income goes all to retirement, no joke - like 30-35% goes to my retirement. Which will be at 40, either way...but, ya know.

I think if you've been a high quality person through the process, and you are honest that it's simply too good an offer to pass up most people worth working for would understand and not blackball you completely for future opportunities. Especially if you give them notice and don't disappear with no warning or coast through leaving

Keep it off the résumé if you leave.

Edited by NoSaint

Great idea. I thought of asking if they would consider hiring me on directly in any way but that might be a bargaining chip.

I meet with the plant manager Friday to go over all of this. He has viewed my resume and has expressed great interest in hiring me because of my background.

My heart says by the time I am 40 I will be doing the farm full time. This income goes all to retirement, no joke - like 30-35% goes to my retirement. Which will be at 40, either way...but, ya know.

I'm a full time farmer now, just not making enough money at it right now.

Unicorn.

I didn't read your reply, but I just wanted to say something to make you think I was giving you attention.

I read your reply and thanks for the attention but I don't need the attention. I've got my hands full with people paying attention. :D

I read your reply and thanks for the attention but I don't need the attention. I've got my hands full with people paying attention. :D

I thought those were just a tissue, mirror and some lotion.

edit: Come to think of it, that wouldn't make much sense. You did say a handful.

Edited by jboyst62

Mirror??? Are you trying to give me advice?

I deemed you narcissistic enough to enjoy the mirror. But, you are right. You go hard core and go after a role model of yours like Chef Boyardi or the guy who made Papa Johns.

Play hardball. Tell them you can start immediately but only as a full time employee, and no probation. They will probably agree to the full time position and shorten the probation. If not you can take the termporary job and watch them waffle on the full time commitment. If you are going to jump ship make sure that you have something better without conditions.