HFT (aka the market is rigged)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

silly me. i though publiclty traded meant publicly traded.

Data costs money. My broker gives me real time updates on Canadian equities because it's part of my fees.

If you want real time data, get a Bloomberg terminal assuming you have about 30K lying around annually.

Data costs money. My broker gives me real time updates on Canadian equities because it's part of my fees.

If you want real time data, get a Bloomberg terminal assuming you have about 30K lying around annually.

Shouldn't we have immediate access to every bit of financial information for free since stocks are publicly traded? Its not fair that birddog should have to crawl through SEC filings and build his own models when the information is public.

Shouldn't we have immediate access to every bit of financial information for free since stocks are publicly traded? Its not fair that birddog should have to crawl through SEC filings and build his own models when the information is public.

:lol:

Companies pay billions for data management and companies make billions of dollars selling the data.

Welcome to Capitalism.

:lol:

Companies pay billions for data management and companies make billions of dollars selling the data.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Bandwith should be free!!

I love hearing a guy whose only holdings are some S&P tracking ETF and Vanguard's "Medium Risk" fund B word about how markets aren't fair. Yeah, that's why you aren't managing your own.

True- but if you were smart and saved a bunch of cash during the ride up, there was a garage sale of good property in close to the city in great locations to be picked up at 25-50% discount from price highs. So, right now as people are bidding up with Equities- I know nothing about stocks, but I assume the financial crisis in 08 was a good time to buy up round lots of stable companies that were almost surely to go back upRigged? Don't know enough to add much to the discussion here, so I can't answer that question- but to me, for most Americans the gimmicks of the financial industry do not negate common sense, patience and a long-term approach to building wealth and stability.

go with what you know! Sounds like you got it figured out on your front. I prefer to go with low cost indexed mutual funds and certain stocks that i have researched. The 401k industry I do not trust and buying houses ain't my thing. I'm a pretty aggressive but conservative investor, I invest a lot of my pay check but in a diversified way. Edited by gatorman

go with what you know! Sounds like you got it figured out on your front. I prefer to go with low cost indexed mutual funds and certain stocks that i have researched. The 401k industry I do not trust and buying houses ain't my thing. I'm a pretty aggressive but conservative investor, I invest a lot of my pay check but in a diversified way.

But how could you possibly be diversified if you don't have instant correlation information across your portfolio.

The game is rigged.

go with what you know! Sounds like you got it figured out on your front. I prefer to go with low cost indexed mutual funds and certain stocks that i have researched. The 401k industry I do not trust and buying houses ain't my thing. I'm a pretty aggressive but conservative investor, I invest a lot of my pay check but in a diversified way.

Ain't that the truth! I see alot of Docs around the hospital talking Equities and giving each other advice on what to buy and sell. I'd like to know their success rate, or if it is all blustering...

To me, Land always has value, always has always will- the key is knowing where to buy.

It does shock me the people I know who literally have and invest nothing- crazy.

Ain't that the truth! I see alot of Docs around the hospital talking Equities and giving each other advice on what to buy and sell. I'd like to know their success rate, or if it is all blustering...

To me, Land always has value, always has always will- the key is knowing where to buy.

It does shock me the people I know who literally have and invest nothing- crazy.

My mom's farm in the mid west is worth ten times what she paid for it ten years ago. No telling how long that will last, if food prices fall, so will land value. So then when is as important as the where, but point well taken

silly me. i though publiclty traded meant publicly traded.

"Public" refers to the nature of the ownership of a company, not the nature of a trade. You are perfectly free to trade publicly listed stocks away from the markets.

"Public" refers to the nature of the ownership of a company, not the nature of a trade. You are perfectly free to trade publicly listed stocks away from the markets.

Don't help him out. I'd like to hear his definition of a "publicly traded"

Don't help him out. I'd like to hear his definition of a "publicly traded"

If I thought he would pull his ass out of his "dark pool" long enough to answer, I wouldn't have replied.

Plus...I figure he'll reflexively disagree with me in that pansy-ass manner he has of being viscerally unable to admit I'm right, and double-down on his stupidity.

If I thought he would pull his ass out of his "dark pool" long enough to answer, I wouldn't have replied.

Plus...I figure he'll reflexively disagree with me in that pansy-ass manner he has of being viscerally unable to admit I'm right, and double-down on his stupidity.

I'll bet he's still looking for an article about the Russian stock market crashing due to Putin's annexation of Crimea.

The HFTs beat the Bloomberg terminals.

HFTs do not lose. Their trades are 100% money makers. It's a no risk skim from the top.

The HFTs beat the Bloomberg terminals.

HFTs do not lose. Their trades are 100% money makers. It's a no risk skim from the top.

I was responding to bd1960 complaint about Yahoo Finance 15 minute delay.

I was responding to bd1960 complaint about Yahoo Finance 15 minute delay.

But your broker can't beat HFTs either. The only people who can beat HFTs are faster HFTs. There's no risk in their trades--the money they make is based purely on speed.

Maybe the billions they make is not a big tax for the trading system to pay, so it's not a big deal like GG says. Frankly, I am not happy about anyone skimming my money off like that but that's just me.

But how could you possibly be diversified if you don't have instant correlation information across your portfolio.

The game is rigged.

the game is rigged for the financial industry to make huge profits. not so much for the aircrtaft manufacturers. yes, analysis and discernment of publicly available information has value. but not as much value as the financial institutions obtain from them. that is, unless they have information unavailable to everyone else or technology unavailable to anyone else or they control the rules of the game. they have all of those things making them very successful middlemen. they shouldn't.

The most off-putting games pure HFT trading firms play is to pay for a privileged early glimpse at public quotes, and to exploit certain complex order types to skim small profits from detecting related patterns. This is the kind of questionable activity that rightly is under scrutiny by investigators and regulators, but probably represents a limited component of what we now call HFT.

Want some evidence, though, that HFT isn’t poaching cash from Mom and Pop retirement accounts in large amounts? The Vanguard Group, the mutually owned index-fund manager of $2 trillion that's always been fanatical about keeping investor costs to a minimum, has made its peace with HFT.

In a statement the company said: “We believe the majority of 'high-frequency traders' play within the rules governing our current equity markets. We believe a majority of 'high-frequency traders,' which is not a defined term, add value to our current structure by 'knitting' together today's fragmented market centers.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/michael-santoli/-irrational--sense-of-fairmess-fuels-furor-over-high-frequency-trading-160331096.html

I believe front running trades is wrong and unethical. I also don't think its that big of an issue. Its a total non-issue as far as my portfolio is concerned.