Today's whiny lawsuit

College student commits suicide by jumping off a bridge

Student's father sues, saying that the bridge railings were not high enough to prevent his son from climbing over them to commit suicide

Judge agrees, and it will go to trial

http://www.ithacajou...EWS01/303250048

Edited by \GoBillsInDallas/

It's not accurate to say that the judge agreed with the father's position. The standard on whether to grant summary judgment is whether or not there exists a triable issue of material fact.

“An issue of material fact remains for a jury as to whether Cornell exercised sufficient control over the design, construction, and maintenance of the Thurston Avenue Bridge to justify holding it liable, with Ithaca, for injuries caused by alleged hazards on the bridge,” Hurd wrote.

Not that I would cast a vote in favor of awarding damages, but it IS worth noting that kids jump off that bridge to kill themselves pretty regularly. I don't have a huge problem with a jury deciding whether or not Cornell / Ithaca have done enough to try and prevent it.

Not that I would cast a vote in favor of awarding damages, but it IS worth noting that kids jump off that bridge to kill themselves pretty regularly. I don't have a huge problem with a jury deciding whether or not Cornell / Ithaca have done enough to try and prevent it.

I understand your point, but realistically with the exception of completely fencing off any possible space on the bridge, it won't stop it from happening. Suicides happen all the time at the Golden Gate Bridge, do they need to fence off the whole thing? If someone is adamant about ending their own life, they will do it, regardless of safety measures put into place to prevent it.

I understand your point, but realistically with the exception of completely fencing off any possible space on the bridge, it won't stop it from happening. Suicides happen all the time at the Golden Gate Bridge, do they need to fence off the whole thing? If someone is adamant about ending their own life, they will do it, regardless of safety measures put into place to prevent it.

This is not true. Since I moved to SF I've been kind of fascinated with the bridge and suicides there. They've talked about barriers and nets but nothing has been done. I always felt like you that if they couldn't jump off the bridge they'd kill themselves some other way. Not true.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/29/opinion/la-oe-bateson-golden-gate-bridge-suicides-20130929

This is not true. Since I moved to SF I've been kind of fascinated with the bridge and suicides there. They've talked about barriers and nets but nothing has been done. I always felt like you that if they couldn't jump off the bridge they'd kill themselves some other way. Not true.

http://articles.lati...icides-20130929

I stand corrected, interesting article for sure.

A few years ago here (Atlanta) there was a rash of overpass jumpers and idjuts that just climbed over the railing for news attention. As a result, all our bridges have birdcage type fencing to keep people from taking the next step. My first instinct was to say "let 'em jump" but I'll have to agree it's curbed man in flight as well as the highly negative impact it had on millions of commuters. Whether they were industrious to off themselves in another way...unkown.

I stand corrected, interesting article for sure.

I was very surprised myself. There is a documentary called The Bridge. Someone set up a camera focused on the bridge for a full year and captured a bunch of jumpers. Quite chilling.

http://articles.lati...icides-20130929

What we should do is anchor down a giant floating breakaway bullseye with some cameras on it. Stream the video and charge people to watch. You could pick an angle...zoom in to see the look on their face as they realize they're about to die. All proceeds could go to help bankrupted Central Valley farmers destroyed by the greenies trying to save the Delta Smelt!

Edited by LABillzFan

What we should do is anchor down a giant floating breakaway bullseye with some cameras on it. Stream the video and charge people to watch. You could pick an angle...zoom in to see the look on their face as they realize they're about to die. All proceeds could go to help bankrupted Central Valley farmers destroyed by the greenies trying to save the Delta Smelt!

Now that's a use of tax dollars I can get behind. :thumbsup:

What's the problem, didn't Obama offer them money?

Obama doesn't offer NorCal money. He siphons is out of here.

http://www.northwestopinions.com/capital-press/obama-offers-california-farmers-money-but-no-water/

President Obama promised monetary aid to California farmers and ranchers suffering from drought, but no water. The president made it clear he'd veto any bill that reduce allocations to endangered salmon and smelt.