Superman for a sick girl.

BillsFanM.D.

these stories are great because so often we(myself included) look at these kids and see their behavior on the court or field and view them as 'thugs'. but that is them 'in the zone' alot of times, we blasted marcus smart because he went after a fan who allegedly was using slurs towards him. so many of these athletes come from nothing and are thrust into the limelight and time and time again you read about how this one befriends a kid with an illness, this one adopts his baby sister/brother to help them survive, teams constantly going to hospital wards or doing other community events....it helps me view these kids as just that, kids who are trying to do good. sure there are bad apples but these good ones i suspect far outweigh the bad ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Can one of our docs or anybody answer this for me. I saw her at the Eastern Regional the previous weekend and she looked good............I didn't watch, but from I'm reading, she was at the Final Four slam dunk contest this weekend, and looked happy and healthy.

How can she possibly be dead of cancer two days later?

Can one of our docs or anybody answer this for me. I saw her at the Eastern Regional the previous weekend and she looked good............I didn't watch, but from I'm reading, she was at the Final Four slam dunk contest this weekend, and looked happy and healthy.

How can she possibly be dead of cancer two days later?

Very sad. She was an inspiration in her short life.

As far as the 'sudden' nature of her death, it's hard to say. Cancer patients, and folks with other chronic illness, can compensate in amazing ways. They can 'seem' very normal in their day to day life for extended periods of time....but may actually be struggling to maintain that normalcy. The will to live and maintain autonomy are strong motivators. The compensation, however, can sometimes reach a 'tipping point' and they can go downhill very fast.

In addition, cancer patients often succumb to other diagnoses as a result of their cancer. I.e. not 'directly' as a result of the cancer. For example, cancer makes a person more prone to clot formation. Many folks in this situation suffer sudden demise due to pulmonary emboli (blood clots to the lungs). Other causes include infections either from the tumor obstructing something (pneumonia in the lung) or from a person's immune system being suppressed by treatments (chemo). Others die from bleeding related to tumor size or location. Others develop cardiac problems from certain chemo treatments etc.

Point is there are many things that could have contributed...and we certainly cannot speculate too much as to how 'well' or 'sick' she was as recently as a few days ago. We'll only really know if the family tells the story and that's obviously their decision to make.

I pray her family finds some peace.

Yeah, I had thought about all those things. But also thought if any of that was the case, that I would think she would have died at the hospital, as they tried to save her and not "peacefully at home in her parents arms."

I hadn't thought about how she could have really compensated big time.

Here she is on Thursday in Dallas. Looks good, smiling, etc. and was able to travel a long distance:

https://www.youtube....xFKBYPEgRo#t=21

Edited by bbb