BB.com "On the clock"

TPS

The site just announced a new series:

"The staff here at Buffalobills.com is very enthused to bring you a new pre-draft series leading up to the 2014 NFL draft called ‘On the Clock’ beginning Wednesday morning. We’ll be covering various football subjects as they pertain to the draft and the impact they might have on the Bills as GM Doug Whaley prepares with his staff for his first NFL draft.

We’ll be examining league-wide trends that affect the Bills and the rest of the NFL with insight from front office decision makers and personnel experts from the front lines and the sidelines. Our first installment is ‘The Rise of the Right Tackle’ which debuts Wednesday. Stay close to Buffalobills.com for other in depth ‘On the Clock’ features soon."

Sounds like they are going to give those of us pushing OT in R1 some support...

The site just announced a new series:

"The staff here at Buffalobills.com is very enthused to bring you a new pre-draft series leading up to the 2014 NFL draft called 'On the Clock' beginning Wednesday morning. We'll be covering various football subjects as they pertain to the draft and the impact they might have on the Bills as GM Doug Whaley prepares with his staff for his first NFL draft.

We'll be examining league-wide trends that affect the Bills and the rest of the NFL with insight from front office decision makers and personnel experts from the front lines and the sidelines. Our first installment is 'The Rise of the Right Tackle' which debuts Wednesday. Stay close to Buffalobills.com for other in depth 'On the Clock' features soon."

Sounds like they are going to give those of us pushing OT in R1 some support...

:thumbsup:

"The Rise Of The Right Tackle..." Written by ex NFL O-lineman, ex NFL O-Line coach, ex NFL Offensive Coordinator, and current Buffalo Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone... ;)

Or it could be pandering. Who knows.

At the same time, I recall hearing during the lead up to the 2010 draft that you don't take a RT at 9. The previous GM and now scout emeritus went a different route back then, but with a rookie QB it stands to reason you protect him. Because he was slow to diagnose defenses despite claiming during mini-camp he had the playbook down.

It's a foregone conclusion you've got to help your young QB. Whether it's with another OT or skill player is up to the OBD crew.

Edited by BillsVet

Excellent article :thumbsup:http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/ON-THE-CLOCK-Rise-of-the-right-tackle/30cbf54d-12e1-46b7-9ae7-7115c5066dea

"There are some really good defensive coordinators in this league and if you have a right tackle that struggles in pass protection, teams are going to put their best pass rusher on the left side,” said Jaguars GM David Caldwell. “So you better have somebody who can protect the passer over there.”

This is sort of exactly the message of what I've been trying to convey to this board since I started posting here. By the same token if the weakest areas are the OG's, then that is where the defense will try to exploit. Kinda why I get frustrated with the past regimes that try and get by every year with sub par players on that Line.

Excellent article :thumbsup:http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/ON-THE-CLOCK-Rise-of-the-right-tackle/30cbf54d-12e1-46b7-9ae7-7115c5066dea

"There are some really good defensive coordinators in this league and if you have a right tackle that struggles in pass protection, teams are going to put their best pass rusher on the left side,” said Jaguars GM David Caldwell. “So you better have somebody who can protect the passer over there.”

This is sort of exactly the message of what I've been trying to convey to this board since I started posting here. By the same token if the weakest areas are the OG's, then that is where the defense will try to exploit. Kinda why I get frustrated with the past regimes that try and get by every year with sub par players on that Line.

So basically, Russ is cheap is what you're saying.

Excellent article :thumbsup:http://www.buffalobi...e7-7115c5066dea

'..sort of exactly..'? Ha! I agree with your point. Since most QB's (and all people, for that matter) are right handed, the perception is that the QB will see the pass rusher coming off the right side and react better than from his blind side. But, when the right side caves in every pass play, it still destroys the game plan..

The Draft is a crap shoot -with a few exceptions. So much emphasis is put on a teams' 1st selection but they can flop as easily as an UDFA. With the exception of QB, IMO, the Bills are fairly set to go BPA on their board with every pick.

'..sort of exactly..'? Ha! I agree with your point. Since most QB's (and all people, for that matter) are right handed, the perception is that the QB will see the pass rusher coming off the right side and react better than from his blind side. But, when the right side caves in every pass play, it still destroys the game plan..

The Draft is a crap shoot -with a few exceptions. So much emphasis is put on a teams' 1st selection but they can flop as easily as an UDFA. With the exception of QB, IMO, the Bills are fairly set to go BPA on their board with every pick.

In my view the entire O line is just as important to the offense as the D line is to the defense, as every position on both lines are equally important to what the scheme wants to accomplish. Having an elite, all pro guard is equally important in so many facets as his counterpart the elite, all pro D tackle.

However, the prevailing thoughts around this team are that elite O line players are completely unnecessary, and would just cost to much to be worthwhile. This philosophy has been stated many times over, and over by many regimes the last 14 years, and so much so that the fans are starting to believe its the proper way to build an offense. This team just signed a player from the Rams who graded worse then the current backup center who was subbing in at guard.

From my perspective the heart and soul of any good football team is its offensive line! There's no position that requires more discipline or technique then an offensive linemen. Success as an offensive football team hinges on their ability to control the line of scrimmage. This is something the Buffalo Bills have lacked for the last 14 years!

The draft is a crap shoot, to the bad teams, who employ bad talent evaluators, bad scouts, bad coaches and the end result usually is complete guesswork. The best teams usually have the better employees that can determine the top talent from the maybe's and what ifs. The Buffalo Bills were one of those bad teams for the longest time, until Norm Pollom, Bill Polian, John Butler, AJ Smith.

Currently Doug Whaley knows his stuff with the defensive side of the ball in players like Manny Lawson- Jerry Hughes-Alan Branch- Kiko. Wish I could say the same about the offensive side as the jury is still out on EJ, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin. The jury is back with a guilty verdict, and life sentence of being utterly useless on the likes of Colin Brown, Sam Young, Doug Legursky, and now Chris Williams.

In my view the entire O line is just as important to the offense as the D line is to the defense, as every position on both lines are equally important to what the scheme wants to accomplish. Having an elite, all pro guard is equally important in so many facets as his counterpart the elite, all pro D tackle.

However, the prevailing thoughts around this team are that elite O line players are completely unnecessary, and would just cost to much to be worthwhile. This philosophy has been stated many times over, and over by many regimes the last 14 years, and so much so that the fans are starting to believe its the proper way to build an offense. This team just signed a player from the Rams who graded worse then the current backup center who was subbing in at guard.

From my perspective the heart and soul of any good football team is its offensive line! There's no position that requires more discipline or technique then an offensive linemen. Success as an offensive football team hinges on their ability to control the line of scrimmage. This is something the Buffalo Bills have lacked for the last 14 years!

The draft is a crap shoot, to the bad teams, who employ bad talent evaluators, bad scouts, bad coaches and the end result usually is complete guesswork. The best teams usually have the better employees that can determine the top talent from the maybe's and what ifs. The Buffalo Bills were one of those bad teams for the longest time, until Norm Pollom, Bill Polian, John Butler, AJ Smith.

Currently Doug Whaley knows his stuff with the defensive side of the ball in players like Manny Lawson- Jerry Hughes-Alan Branch- Kiko. Wish I could say the same about the offensive side as the jury is still out on EJ, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin. The jury is back with a guilty verdict, and life sentence of being utterly useless on the likes of Colin Brown, Sam Young, Doug Legursky, and now Chris Williams.

The game has always been about controlling the line of scrimmage, and now good DCs know to attack the weakest links in the O-line chain. As long as the main pass rushers are coming from the edges, both OTs are critical. This article (and you can find others) refutes the old-fashioned idea that "you never pick a RT with the 9th pick."

I'd rather see the Bills select one of the top 3, who will become an instant starter in 2014, as opposed to either Evans/Ebron who I don't think will be plugged in as an instant starter. Unfortunately, from my perspective, I think if 2 out of 3 are gone before 9, then a team like the Giants will trade up with the Vikes to get the 3rd.

Edited by TPS