How sturdy is Direct TV's satelites in bad weather

Rudyc80

Ive only had direct tv for 7 months and love it while never have a problem with it losing the feed and we have had some nasty little storms but today we are suppose to get a pretty strong dtorm in with 30-35 mPH winds so im just wondering how the dish tends to hold up in these type of storms assuming no branched fall on the dish!

Should it last or am i screwed?

Ive only had direct tv for 7 months and love it while never have a problem with it losing the feed and we have had some nasty little storms but today we are suppose to get a pretty strong dtorm in with 30-35 mPH winds so im just wondering how the dish tends to hold up in these type of storms assuming no branched fall on the dish!

Should it last or am i screwed?

214605[/snapback]

Where I live we get some pretty decent winds and I have never had a significant outage (7 years)

You will find wind has almost no effect on the satellite while heavy rain will. I have had the dish for about 8 years now and snow has settled on it and we have had hail, winds, tornadoes, and the only thing to interupt the signal is a heavy downpour.

As long as your dish was properly aligned during installation, you'll be fine. I live in Minnesota (the land of wind and cold, with some snow), and have never had an outage for anything other than a MAJOR electrical storm, and even then I only lose signal for 5-10 minutes (3-4 times total over the past 7 years).

Just think, if it DID go out with every storm, nobody would use the service. The fact that they've been around for at least 10 years means that it must work well :blink:

Wouldn't worry about it.

CW

If it's installed correctly, wind is not a problem. Heavy rains are, and you may need to brush snow buildup of it occasionally.

When I lived in a snow climate, I installed mine on a post about 3' off the ground so I could brush the snow off withour having to climb a ladder in the middle of a snowstorm. Of course I lived on 7 acres so mounting it close to the ground was an option for me.

If my 2 local channels came with the dish I would really consider trying it out. One of theose local channels carries the Bills games.

214630[/snapback]

What city do you live in that doesn't have locals? Almost all cities have locals nowadays. Just curious.

CW

I had a dish on the Foothills in Boulder, CO. We routinely got 100-110 MPH winds. Never did we have problems with the dish for that reason. Rainy/foggy/snowy conditions did cause a blackout or three over the course of a couple years, however. Still, I miss my dish!

Rudy, do not worry about anything?

Really, man, if it isn't the Bills and a problem you've discovered, it's something else ain't it?

BTW, DTV, after having it for almost 10 years -- I have nothing bad to say about it. The signal will hold if it is installed properly. I can count on one hand the times that I lost a signal due to weather -- 3 years in Chicago winters, 4 northern Wisconsin winters, and now starting my 4th northwest PA winter.

Sackets Harbor, New York 13685 ( Watertown ,New York 13601)

214661[/snapback]

We stopped there once on the way home from Alex Bay and the freaking British were landing! Infantry, cannons - it was very cool!

Um, it was a reenactment :D:devil:;) of the War of 1812... I am not THAT old!

Mine survied both Jeanne and Frances, and I have no clue how...

My entire garage/shed was destroyed... (and I mean gone, I to this day dont know where the roof of it went, although a neighbor several houses down returned a good chunk of the side of it)...

Anyway, the dish was on my house, of course, and after Jeanne, it was bent almost in half, and yet I still got reception. When the DirectTV guy came out, he said there was no reason that I was still getting any reception, much less all of it...

I agree with the above re: heavy rain. Out here in them thar boonies of Arkansas, our DirectTV is up 98 percent of the time. Dont miss any pay per view or regularly scheduled sports with it. 1% down time is usually only during heavy rain or a strong thunderstorm. Wind, no matter how strong. never affects it. The remaining 1% of downtim is when some dipstick in some network operations center drops his Hustler on a button by accident or something. Then we get software-related errors on the TV but the signals fine.

We also have DirecWay "broadband" net service. It's the only way we can get something more than dial up in our area. That's a totally different story than TV service. Totally unreliable, often transmits at 30kbps, and if you download too much they throttle down your connection even further. Sucks :devil: