[closed]Is Jairus Byrd really an elite safety?

There's been a lot of debate recently over Jairus Byrd. Should the Bills have paid him?. Is he truly elite? Did he want too much money?

My personal feeling is that I would have liked the Bills to retain him because he's a good player but I didn't want them to break the bank to do so. I don't view safety as a critical position (unlike QB and CB) and I don't think the delta between a good safety and an "elite" safety is the difference between a top 10 draft pick and the playoffs.

One of the things that intrigued me is that a lot of people feel that Byrd's number of interceptions makes him "elite" so I decided to take a look at the numbers. Is seems logical to assume that an elite safety would be dramatically outperforming everyone around him. That he'd be a game changer an opposing offenses would have to account for him. So let's see what the numbers say. For purposes of discussion I've included anyone that was +/- one interception of Byrd!

Here's the interception statistics for the last 4 years:

Jairus Byrd 4 (*missed 4 games to injury)

Jim Leonhard 4 (*missed 3 games to injury)

Aaron Williams 4

Kiko Alonso 4

Jairus Byrd 5

Bryan Scott 4

George Wilson 4

Jairus Byrd 3

Nick Barnett 3

Drayton Florence 3

Drayton Florence 3

George Wilson 2

Leodis McKelvin 2

Jairus Byrd 1

Jairus Byrd 9

George Wilson 4

It's clear from the numbers that Byrd's 2009 season was off the charts. From 2010 on though he's numbers are very much in line with the other safeties on this team. So, if Byrd is truly "the top safety in the NFL' as some has suggested, what do you think of these numbers?