Brock Jensen - QB - North Dakota St.

#34fan

This is going to be a tough sell... Especially to the "Let EJ grow and develop" crowd on TBD. Hey, for what it's worth, you guys are all 100% right. -For a rookie, playing under a rookie OC calling plays for a ROOKIE HC, Manuel wasn't exactly awful... Heck, at times he looked GREAT out there. I honestly thought he was the best QB of his class, and I still hold to that.

Thing is... There's this kid out in Fargo North Dakota...

First of all, YES, it's 2A ball team, and NO, the competition isn't up to 1A standards. HOWEVER, They dominated their conference for the past three seasons. National Champs back to back to back

Jensen led that team with some of the best stats I've seen from a college QB. -Ever.

in 2013 Jensen led the Bison to a perfect 15-0 record. In the last 3 seasons he's lost only twice. (43-2) Fact is, Jensen's won more games than any other QB in NCAA Football Championship Subdivision history.

The NDSU Bison has beaten at least one FBS opponent every year he's been a starter. The most recent being Kansas State in a game where Jensen had an eye-popping 70% completion rate! The Wildcat D was stunned as Jensen went 21 for 30, tossed 2 TD's and sprinted for another.

Jensen also has plenty of arm. This year he chucked in 34TD's and passed for nearly 2800 yards. At 167.4 his passer rating is comparable to Tajh Boyd's 168.7

Because of his team's variation of a West Coast pro-style offense Jensen also spends a whole bunch of time under center. He seems to have an advanced understanding of coverages , reads ,and protections. That's not just me talking. -QB Guru Steve Calhoun also made that observation.

Have a look.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/nfl-draft-2014/2014-nfl-draft-qb-brock-jensens-winning-ways

And now for his measurables: 6'3" 225, 4.76 40 - No combine invite.

Most impressive though, is Jensen's vocal, gritty, leadership style. He seems to blossom at crunchtime. Very important for a team trying desperately to change their losing ways... I take Jensen in the 6th-7th if he's around... He should be. As for EJ, I still believe in the guy. -I'm just not very patient. If he isn't the real deal, we need a talented alternative the fans can get behind. Jensen seems to fit the bill(s).

The single biggest problem I have with this is the level of competition. We can say he looks great against that much lower level of competition, but it is just that. We're talking about entire teams of guys that weren't good enough to play at the highest level in college. In the last 5 drafts, there have been 25 players drafted that were not in Division I football, and not a single one of them have been a quarterback. To say "why not?" to Brock Jensen, you would have to say the same to Pete Lalich of California University of Pennsylvania; Jake Mullin of McMurry University; or Clay Belton of Findlay University? They were all dominant in their conferences but also didn't play anyone of note. Of those 25 players drafted, there's only 2 starters that remain in the NFL. They are Bernard Scott and Johnny Knox. They both went to Abilene Christian and also both were at the combine and were drafted in 2009. Everyone else has either washed out or are practice squad at best. Kudos to #34fan for the post. It's always interesting to look at guys like these, but I usually stop there. LOL.

The throw at the 1:00 mark of the video is NFL caliber. Ball on the opposing teams 34 yard line right hash, play action to running back, drops back to the 44 steps up to the 43 and fires a high velocity ball with very little air under it to the deep left outside the numbers WR catches the ball at the 1 falling into the endzone. Very impressive, IMO.

First of all…I LOVE THESE THREADS!! Thanks for bringing it.

I watched half of that clip and I see 3 things:

1. He's got plenty of arm. He can zip it when he needs to. The reason he put so much air under the ball was his WRs were WIIIIDE open. That leads to the problems….

2. He seemed to always have a clean pocket, which doesn't happen on Sundays…and

3. His WRs were so open it's hard to tell how accurate he is.

All that being said, the last DII QB to come out and have a meaningful NFL career was Jon Kitna out of Cental Washington, I think. I guess you never know. But I fully expect the Bills to take a QB between rounds 4-7.

at :58 and :59 he looks to me to be throwing those kids open...Then I see the makings of a pretty decent back-shoulder at 1:08. He throws another kid open at 4:08... Jensen has alot of escapability once his pocket collapses. As for the comment about the ball not having much velocity, it seems to me like he's taking something OFF so he doesn't overthrow his guy.

The "competition" thing is a valid argument. My only response is that a guy can only play the teams in front of him. I first saw Jensen a few years back. He seemed very raw, and childlike. Like many of you I was unimpressed. In the past couple of years though, he's improved exponentially. He's much faster than before, (both release and footspeed) Also I never thought he'd be as intuitive as he's turned out to be. Lastly, I LOVE the fact that he's developed a "playoff" personality. -It's something you just cant do at a big D1A school. (Clemson, Notre Dame, etc) Jensen has navigated his way through several postseasons, and "won it all" THREE times in a row!

Bottom line: I think a team with serious QB issues like the Vikes could take a chance on this kid. If he makes it to TC, I believe he's a threat to make the team. I dont have any concern about the game being "too fast" for him. -He seems very adaptive. Whatever happens with Brock, I plan on following his (NFL) progress. I'll try to keep you guys in the loop if anything interesting happens.

Edited by #34fan

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, RIP Ralph Wilson and Godspeed, Jim Kelly. It's been a bad week to say the least for BIlls fans. I stumbled across this and thought I'd add a few things.

I grew up in North Dakota, so I was a Vikings fan. Then moved to Denver in the '80s, and also rooted for the Bills in all their Super Bowls. Thankfully the Broncos finally broke the string of SB futility for me.

Now on to Brock Jensen and NDSU. A couple posters on here were talking about a D2 quarterback -- as someone else pointed out, NDSU is not D2, but FCS (formerly 1-AA). Back in Phil Hansen's days at NDSU they were D2 but moved up in '04 and became playoff eligible in '09. There have been a few "notable" quarterbacks in FCS the past few years, including Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Joe Flacco. Jimmy Garopollo is overwhelmingly considered to be the best FCS quarterback this year, and he will most certainly have an NFL future. Does Jensen have the tangibles to be an NFL quarterback? Not sure, time will tell. One thing that Garopollo couldn't do, and that was to lead his team to a championship. Jensen did it three times; were it not for some horrendous "prevent" defense by the Bison and a dubious fumble call (in OT against eventual-champ Eastern Washington in the 2010 quarterfinals), it could very well have been 4.

Like I said, time will tell on the physical tools; some things you can't question about Jensen are his leadership, calm under pressure, and competitive fire. He's also a heckuva nice young man, from everything I've seen and heard. I think someone will give him a chance, whether it be a late round pick or as a UFA.

If you have 15 minutes to spare, take a look at the video of the final drive against Kansas State. Jensen was outstanding in the fourth quarter with a hostile sellout crowd against a KSU team that was supposedly bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper than the Bison and would "wear them down by halftime". You can also get a little look at left tackle Billy Turner (#77), who is projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Good luck to the Bills this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvobbZlGCI

Edited by DenverBisonFan