Brad Roby/CB Ohio State

He's a weird story - was not recruited as a DB but then became one while at OSU. Showed real talent as a RS Freshman and Soph and was an All-American. Everyone though he was going to be a shut-down corner this year and completely tear it up. It was a disappointment to say the least. He did have some sweet plays though this year. He is nasty on the corner blitz.

I know Roby's a big-time athlete with good size/speed...

I fully expect the Bills to take a CB in this Draft...But I was thinking it would be a little later...The guy I really like is Phillip Gaines...But he's moving up fast and I doubt he'll be much of a bargain by the time it's all said and done... B-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pox on them all. After the past two years I've started blaming Fickell for anything that goes wrong in my life. Frozen pipe burst? Blame Fickell. Bad day at work? Urban shoulda fired Fickell already. Stub my toe? Fu&%ing Fickell. If I hear him talk about his "funnel" one more time...all it does it let an opposing ball carrier get 10 yards before being forced into the middle where our LBs can miss a tackle! Nightmares.

Anyway, I hope we’re right about Roby and that he ends up with a good pro career. I was at the Iowa game and just felt terrible for the kid and the run of bad luck he had this season. On the other hand, I was treated that day to the play of the year by El Guapo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awikkRcSi38

Go Bucks.

LOL - you are not the only one. Did you hear his rant the other day when a reporter asked him if he feared for his job? I won't spoil it for you, but there was reference to the World Trade Center. Anyway, I saw that the Pats* :censored: are bringing in Kenny G for an individual workout. It may just be Urban phoning in a favor for him to his buddy Bellichek, but if that happens and he ends up playing for them I will crushed because I cannot NOT root for Kenny G.

A pox on them all. After the past two years I've started blaming Fickell for anything that goes wrong in my life. Frozen pipe burst? Blame Fickell. Bad day at work? Urban shoulda fired Fickell already. Stub my toe? Fu&%ing Fickell. If I hear him talk about his "funnel" one more time...all it does it let an opposing ball carrier get 10 yards before being forced into the middle where our LBs can miss a tackle! Nightmares.

Anyway, I hope we’re right about Roby and that he ends up with a good pro career. I was at the Iowa game and just felt terrible for the kid and the run of bad luck he had this season. On the other hand, I was treated that day to the play of the year by El Guapo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awikkRcSi38

My favorite college play from the last 3 years! I have Hyde second on my RB list to Sankey! If Hyde is there in RD 3...Spiller and Hyde...

Go Bucks.

I confess that I haven't read much I this thread but muh like Yolo I am a Buckeye fan. I just can't get that Wisconsin game out of my head when he got absolutely torched by Abbedaris. I am not interested in Roby.

I was at that game and Abbrederis looked like Jerry Freaking Rice. 207 yards at the Shoe, are you kidding me? He and Borland both had great games. Glad Abbrederis is finally graduating!! Seems like he has played there forever.

That said, I remember going to the OSU-Minnesota game in like 2001. Ron Johnson (who?) put up close to 200 on Clements. OSU lost and everyone thought Clements sucked forever more. Yet, he was a feast or famine DB. Did OK in the NFL, I guess, judging by his 2nd contract (never really lived up to it in SF though). Roby isn't really like that as he is a sure tackler and big hitter, not as much always going for the ball. It is tough but I don't want the Bills to draft him, because I can't take the stress of more Brad Roby on my team.

I am with you. All the measurables--his natural talents led to game-changing blocked kicks and highlight-reel interceptions during his time at OSU--but this past year he got beat a lot. It was unclear to me if he looked so bad, so often because (1) all the missed time late-summer/early-fall threw off his timing, (2) he lacks field awareness, or (3) the scheme Fickell ran was just that bad.

When in doubt, I tend to blame Fickell :P . I read recently that the corners and safeties met and practiced separately last year without any meaningful coordination. During the games, I noticed that when Roby lined up way off the ball bad things happened all year long -- especially against Wisconsin and Iowa (before he was ejected), but also against Indiana and Illinois. When he played up close and tight, however, he looked good and at times great. So maybe in the right system he could thrive, but man after this past season I see Roby as a very risky draft pick.

And it's tough for me to say that because he seems like a real good and talented kid who just ran into bad luck in 2013.

I'm an OSU alum and try to watch every Buckeye game. This take is spot on IMO. Highly talented kid who doesn't play up to his abilities. I'd stay away in the first or second round. If he free falls then, yes, his talent and upside might be worth the big risk. But I don't take him at 41. There is too much talent in this draft to do that.

Why would you not want Whaley to talk to or evaluate a potential first round talent? Need to know his true value in case a trade presents itself or if he falls. If Williams is going to play FS then who is going to play DB when the let Gilmore walk?

I'm not saying that he should not evaluate him. The people that have seen Roby the most on here (who are also partial to him) do not want him on the Bills. If you asked the same people (Barley, Yolo, Willyvilleguy) if they had a reasonable chance to add Carlos Hyde I bet that they would jump at it. I know that I would. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am not sure how I feel about this. In part very concerned that they will draft him. Looking for a silver lining that he could benefit from some better coaching - has all the measurables but something is missing in coverage skills. Amazing athlete.

Whaley was at the pro day on Friday. Not sure who else from the Bills, but Roby said he had dinner with "Bills Personnel" on Friday night.

Someone talk me off the ledge. I know he was put in some very bad spots by the coaches this year and I know he is very talented overall and the secondary was blasted when they lost the starting safety Bryant. But still... I just can't see him trying to cover NFL WRs.

The #BillsMafia@TheBillsMafia 13h

It's been reported the #Bills met with Ohio State CB Bradley Roby Friday night. #BillsMafia http://instagram.com/p/lTWOQ0kFxU/

Guess they didn't get all hyped up on anyone else at the Pro day and took this guy to dinner. Obviously not a guy you would want in rounds one or two, but may be there in the third and worth a flyer. Although a cornerback with questionable cover skills wouldn't be awfully high on my list.

I'm not saying that he should not evaluate him. The people that have seen Roby the most on here (who are also partial to him) do not want him on the Bills. If you asked the same people (Barley, Yolo, Willyvilleguy) if they had a reasonable chance to add Carlos Hyde I bet that they would jump at it. I know that I would.

:wub:

Someone has pulled out their "leap to conclusions" mat here. By most scouts standards, there's not likely even one defensive back drafted before the Bills pick at #9. The first assumption would have to be that this guy is the clear cut best defensive back in the game to get to the conclusion that he could be Buffalo's pick in the first round. No matter how many ways I slice and dice it, I can't even come close to getting there. I haven't read one scouting report that doesn't have Darqueze Dennard the clear cut #1 CB on the board and a consensus high first round pick. Similar story with FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, although some have him falling to mid first round. Even if someone could get to the conclusion that he was the 3rd best DB in the game, that wouldn't put him more than a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. That's quite frankly where I like the Bills to think about him. Honestly, Buffalo has been fairly good with 2nd round picks in recent years. Alonso, Woods, Levitre, Glenn, Williams (Aaron), Byrd, and more. McKelvin hasn't been able to remain healthy, so CB in the 2nd round wouldn't hurt my feelings much.

Someone has pulled out their "leap to conclusions" mat here. By most scouts standards, there's not likely even one defensive back drafted before the Bills pick at #9. The first assumption would have to be that this guy is the clear cut best defensive back in the game to get to the conclusion that he could be Buffalo's pick in the first round. No matter how many ways I slice and dice it, I can't even come close to getting there. I haven't read one scouting report that doesn't have Darqueze Dennard the clear cut #1 CB on the board and a consensus high first round pick. Similar story with FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, although some have him falling to mid first round. Even if someone could get to the conclusion that he was the 3rd best DB in the game, that wouldn't put him more than a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. That's quite frankly where I like the Bills to think about him. Honestly, Buffalo has been fairly good with 2nd round picks in recent years. Alonso, Woods, Levitre, Glenn, Williams (Aaron), Byrd, and more. McKelvin hasn't been able to remain healthy, so CB in the 2nd round wouldn't hurt my feelings much.

Roby would be a 2nd round option. You may want to update the scouting reports that you are checking though. It appears that Justin Gilbert is the #1 CB (almost consensus since combine) and Calvin Pryor is probably the top safety (although its close).

Guess they didn't get all hyped up on anyone else at the Pro day and took this guy to dinner. Obviously not a guy you would want in rounds one or two, but may be there in the third and worth a flyer. Although a cornerback with questionable cover skills wouldn't be awfully high on my list.

Just as long as they didn't take him to Tempo. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Isnt there talks of moving Roby to safety? 2nd rd for potential maybe, thought I happened to read a few scouting reports suggesting the change. Think the Bills are just doing their homework on a player that could drop and is probably getting eyed by Wrecks Ryan.

IF and it's a big if, the Bills want a CB @9 it's Dennard or Gilbert. After watching all his games Dennard is a stud.

Isnt there talks of moving Roby to safety? 2nd rd for potential maybe, thought I happened to read a few scouting reports suggesting the change. Think the Bills are just doing their homework on a player that could drop and is probably getting eyed by Wrecks Ryan.

IF and it's a big if, the Bills want a CB @9 it's Dennard or Gilbert. After watching all his games Dennard is a stud.

I have not heard about moving him to S. He's kind of small.