Unions Upset With POTUS' 1% Federal Worker Pay Raise Proposal

Maybe the union officials are trying to recoup the workers' losses to Obamacare through a tough stance on the proposed federal wage increase. Maybe some of the political funds in union coffers could back officials who want to remedy/eliminate Obamacare.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/25/labor-unions-upset-with-obama-plan-for-1-percent-federal-worker-pay-hike/

Unions may be the newest group to join POTUS' frenemy club.

Oh, stop your whining. If you want more money, get another job.

Sure, you'll lose that cushy pension, and your much better-than-average health care. But thanks to Social Security and the ACA, that's not a problem - you're no longer job-locked.

Thank you, Oh beneficent one, for aligning my thoughts to the shining path of POTUS'ism.

Not YOUR whining.

The union should stop their whining. I have to work with those people. They're annoying. They get less done with more celebration than non-union feds.

I don't understand the Obamacare thing. I am a federal wage grade (not GS) employee. For the past 15 years my healthcare has been creeping up. I said in a pevious thread, my share was over 300 dollars every TWO weeks... It is now 150. That means, I was kicking in 600 a month and my agnecy was kicking in about a grand a month. Again, that now has been cut in half!

True... I have not seen a COLA (raise in over 4 years). My wage (again, I am WY, not GS) is structured out of the private industries in the Quad Cities. Our wage scale has been historically tied to such places like John Deere (Moline) & Cat (Peoria). Funny because for years 1980's-1990's, wages were higher in the Quad Cities and Peoria than say Chicago. Things are flipped flopped now, I work in Chicago proper, but my wage is now tied to the lower Quad Cities area private sector industrial wages.

Anway... They are cancelling (not re-signing) the contract @ the lock in downtown Chicago and will be going to in-house personnel. This will be the first time ever that the lock has been in-house. Ever since the Corps took control from MRWD (water reclamation district) 40 years ago, it was operated by contract personnel. Here is hoping they make a higher wage that is tied to Chicago industry. That being said, we may have a case about our wages where I work, since we are in Chicago proper too! There has never been wage grade employees in Chicago besides us... I think?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I don't understand the Obamacare thing. I am a federal wage grade (not GS) employee. For the past 15 years my healthcare has been creeping up. I said in a pevious thread, my share was over 300 dollars every TWO weeks... It is now 150. That means, I was kicking in 600 a month and my agnecy was kicking in about a grand a month. Again, that now has been cut in half!

True... I have not seen a COLA (raise in over 4 years). My wage (again, I am WY, not GS) is structured out of the private industries in the Quad Cities. Our wage scale has been historically tied to such places like John Deere (Moline) & Cat (Peoria). Funny because for years 1980's-1990's, wages were higher in the Quad Cities and Peoria than say Chicago. Things are flipped flopped now, I work in Chicago proper, but my wage is now tied to the lower Quad Cities area private sector industrial wages.

Anway... They are cancelling (not re-signing) the contract @ the lock in downtown Chicago and will be going to in-house personnel. This will be the first time ever that the lock has been in-house. Ever since the Corps took control from MRWD (water reclamation district) 40 years ago, it was operated by contract personnel. Here is hoping they make a higher wage that is tied to Chicago industry. That being said, we may have a case about our wages where I work, since we are in Chicago proper too! There has never been wage grade employees in Chicago besides us... I think?

Do you ever stop talking about your job? You must be a blast at a party.

Do you ever stop talking about your job? You must be a blast at a party.

No. Especially when the thread pertains to it. Just setting the record straight on what really goes on out there.

My healthcare has gone down by almost 800 dollars a month (between my share and the agency's share).

What's the problem? Now I will see a 1% raise, my union local (which I am not in but have to be represented by) isn't sqauwking too much... And I will gladly take it seeing how there hasn't been a raise in 4+ years. AND, here's hoping the new in-house people make their wage grade tied to the higher Chicago area, which my permanent duty station is in! We will then have a leg to stand on when arguing higher wages!

Again, what seems to be the problem? I am staying on topic, aren't I?

Nice phrasing. "A party."

Thereby implying he's never invited back. :lol:

Yeah... Breaking down your dream world stereotypes sucks... Who'd want to invite me back! :-)

Nice phrasing. "A party."

Thereby implying he's never invited back. :lol:

That's implying he was invited in the first place. Bah bah so the carp are a food source a million gals a hour over the lock blessed geographically city's on and on. Who the hell invited this guy? Edited by Jim in Anchorage

That's implying he was invited in the first place. Bah bah so the carp are a food source a million gals a hour over the lock blessed geographically city's on and on. Who the hell invited this guy?

LoL... Sorry to bust up your pity party w/the truth. Why does the truth bother you so much? You must enjoy hiding your head in the sand?

Yes, AFGE is pitching a b*tch w/the presidents raise, but not too much. It has nothing to to do w/Obamacare. I know Tom mentioned some BS about working w/people in the union... Last time I looked, the gov't was an open shop. I have a union @ work (in matter of fact, AFGE) and I choose to not join. Again, what is your problem w/the truth? Oh yeah, I guess it doesn't fit the yours, Tom's, & other's preconceived notions of cushy pensions, etc... LoL... Whatever that means...

LoL... Sorry to bust up your pity party w/the truth. Why does the truth bother you so much? You must enjoy hiding your head in the sand?

Yes, AFGE is pitching a b*tch w/the presidents raise, but not too much. It has nothing to to do w/Obamacare. I know Tom mentioned some BS about working w/people in the union... Last time I looked, the gov't was an open shop. I have a union @ work (in matter of fact, AFGE) and I choose to not join. Again, what is your problem w/the truth? Oh yeah, I guess it doesn't fit the yours, Tom's, & other's preconceived notions of cushy pensions, etc... LoL... Whatever that means...

These notions of cushy pensions are anything but preconceived.

You don't understand. We are not talking about unions here. We are talking about you being a mindless babbling idiot.

These notions of cushy pensions are anything but preconceived.

Not where I work (which is the same throughout the whole fed gov't). Were talking FERS employees right? NOT "golden tier" managers (which are far a few between) either, right?

You don't understand. We are not talking about unions here. We are talking about you being a mindless babbling idiot.

Nice cop out. Stay on topic.

Newsflash: everyone wants more money all the time. You get what you can negotiate for, it's the same everywhere.

Exactly. I hope we can get more when they throw the lazy, wasteful gov't contractor out on their ear later this year. Having all in-house will help.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois