2014 Multiple Draft Picks - Which Is Best Trade Partner For The Bills

T master

This draft t here are 4 teams that have multiple draft picks, some have multiple picks in different rounds which could work out in the Bills favor .

In the first round :

The St. Louis Rams have 2 first round picks the 2nd &13th over all .

The Browns have the 4th & 26th over all .

In the Second round :

The 49ers have the 56th & 61st over all .

In the third round :

The Jets have the 69th & 80th picks

The Browns again have the 71st & 83rd picks

I'm not sure how the numbers thing works out with the position of the pick & how many points & all maybe one of you know how that works if you do you can figure it out with this info above .

If we have trouble signing Byrd to a multi year contract before the season then the F tag comes into play which Whaley has said in his interviews, But it has also been said that our former D coordinator has a interest in bringing Byrd to the Browns & if you notice the Browns have multiple 1st & 3rd round picks .

The only thing is , is he is to close to home The 49ers on the other hand might just think Byrd could put them over the top in the SB & we might be able to get a second for him & he would be in the NFC .

I hope Whaley & company are doing their home work & i would think that they are because the trade potential to pick up added draft picks this year is very high in the Bills favor !!

I could see this happening:

Bills trade Byrd and their 3rd round pick (#73 overall) to Cleveland

for

Cleveland's 2 3rd round picks (#71 and #83 overall)

I'd prefer to keep Byrd if they can agree to a long term contract, but I think a trade like this would help the Bills more in the long run than tagging Byrd and letting him walk after this year.

This draft t here are 4 teams that have multiple draft picks, some have multiple picks in different rounds which could work out in the Bills favor .

In the first round :

The St. Louis Rams have 2 first round picks the 2nd &13th over all .

The Browns have the 4th & 26th over all .

In the Second round :

The 49ers have the 56th & 61st over all .

In the third round :

The Jets have the 69th & 80th picks

The Browns again have the 71st & 83rd picks

I'm not sure how the numbers thing works out with the position of the pick & how many points & all maybe one of you know how that works if you do you can figure it out with this info above .

If we have trouble signing Byrd to a multi year contract before the season then the F tag comes into play which Whaley has said in his interviews, But it has also been said that our former D coordinator has a interest in bringing Byrd to the Browns & if you notice the Browns have multiple 1st & 3rd round picks .

The only thing is , is he is to close to home The 49ers on the other hand might just think Byrd could put them over the top in the SB & we might be able to get a second for him & he would be in the NFC .

I hope Whaley & company are doing their home work & i would think that they are because the trade potential to pick up added draft picks this year is very high in the Bills favor !!

I'm almost always in favor of a trade down...No matter what I'm not against doing it purely based on philosophy...

But this Draft does have me re-thinking things a bit...The reality is, should the Bills chose to trade down past #12 overall, there is a strong possibility they will lose out on the chance to Draft one of Lewan/Matthews, Ebron, or Evans...I've been so impressed watching these 4 over the past year that I'm uncertain about how smart it is to pass on all of them...Picking up an extra 2nd will go a long way towards calming that uncertainty...But I would actually rather see the Bills grab an extra 2nd for Byrd and stay put at #9 right now...I reserve the right to change my mind over the next 2 months of course... ;)

I suggested elsewhere that a swap with the Rams, 13 for 9, would cost the Rams their 3rd (75 overall). This could happen if Watkins is there at 9. However, I really don't think the Bills will trade down. Most likely gone in the first 7 out of 8 picks: 3QBs, Clowney, Mack, 2 OTs. That leaves Watkins, Barr, Lewan, Ebron, or anyone else you think should be in top 10. Out of the others listed, I think Barr will be gone in the top 8. Would they be willing to pass on one of LEW to pick up the 3rd? I'm not so sure? Lewan had a very strong combine--Mayock had a lot of praise for the top 3 OTs, so he's now a legit top 10. On the NFL.com mocks, he is projected to go to the Giants at 12. If the Bills traded with the Rams, Ebron would most likely be there at 13. If not, you'd probably have your pick of the "big" WRs.

As I continue to waiver on that top pick, deep down I still want to see them get that bookend OT with a nasty streak. I saw Lewan's interview, and I didn't see much to dislike. He was asked about, and he addressed, the non-football issues. If they are not high on Lewan (and they value the extra pick over Watkins), then I hope they make the trade with the Rams to give them 4 picks in the top 75.

Edited by TPS

the scenario that makes sense is the one coming out of st louis ..the bills trade there 1st and bryd for the rams 1st, clowney to buffalo then the rams take 2 oline with the 9 and 13 th. the rams get the safety they are desparate for and rams fix oline instantly,

i cant see it happening unless houston takes a qb,and it cant happen till draft day plus bryds contract would have to be agreed on before it can be done.

the bills would have one scary rush for sure

for

I'd prefer to keep Byrd if they can agree to a long term contract, but I think a trade like this would help the Bills more in the long run than tagging Byrd and letting him walk after this year.

In reality, you are only gaining a 3rd round pick for Byrd.

I'd much rather keep Byrd for a year under the tag and actually get proven production. I know that there's the possibility that he could take it easy or miss a few games due to injury concerns, but it is a risk you take.

Let me even call Byrd "borderline elite" even though I think he is elite. Would you trade a borderline elite player for a 3rd round pick? We have enough holes as it is. If Byrd leaves next year, so be it- by that time, hopefully our younger safeties will have gained some experience.

In my opinion- and correct me if I am wrong- we would get a 3rd round pick anyway if we have Byrd for a year and then not choose to give him a contract due to compensatory picks. Byrd would still be the highest paid and sought after safety in free agency.

But of course, there is a reason that I am not a GM.. lol

the scenario that makes sense is the one coming out of st louis ..the bills trade there 1st and bryd for the rams 1st, clowney to buffalo then the rams take 2 oline with the 9 and 13 th. the rams get the safety they are desparate for and rams fix oline instantly,

i cant see it happening unless houston takes a qb,and it cant happen till draft day plus bryds contract would have to be agreed on before it can be done.

the bills would have one scary rush for sure

Clowney to Buffalo? :huh:

Look...I realize Clowney is a very special player...But this is a team that has needs in several key areas, none of which are DE...Especially if Carrington comes back for a year...If the Bills were to trade in the 1st and only come out of it with Clowney I think that would be a perfect example of how not to build a team...This is a team that can't score...And yes Clowney would help the Defense, but they would still have glaring needs elsewhere that could be better addressed by staying put and trading Byrd for a 2nd round pick...It's about building a team...Not building a pass rush...The Bills were the 2nd best pass rushing team in the NFL in 2014 and finished 6-10...Clowney is a pass rushing DE...Sure it would make the Bills pass rush ridiculous...But it does little for building a winning team overall... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Clowney to Buffalo? :huh:

Look...I realize Clowney is a very special player...But this is a team that has needs in several key areas, none of which are DE...Especially if Carrington comes back for a year...If the Bills were to trade in the 1st and only come out of it with Clowney I think that would be a perfect example of how not to build a team...This is a team that can't score...And yes Clowney would help the Defense, but they would still have glaring needs elsewhere that could be better addressed by staying put and trading Byrd for a 2nd round pick...It's about building a team...Not building a pass rush...The Bills were the 2nd best pass rushing team in the NFL in 2014 and finished 6-10...Clowney is a pass rushing DE...Sure it would make the Bills pass rush ridiculous...But it does little for building a winning team overall... B-)

That would give them 2 prima donnas with questions about their work ethic and desire too...

if clowney makes it to nine you trade the pick. because there will be offers.

To the OP . I want more than a 3rd for Byrd. alot more.

But i think maybe we could get some leverage using him.

Maybe i would like Browns 26th and 71st as the bargaining point if that media hype is to be believed ?

They can take legursky too.

I'd much rather keep Byrd for a year under the tag and actually get proven production. I know that there's the possibility that he could take it easy or miss a few games due to injury concerns, but it is a risk you take.

Let me even call Byrd "borderline elite" even though I think he is elite. Would you trade a borderline elite player for a 3rd round pick? We have enough holes as it is. If Byrd leaves next year, so be it- by that time, hopefully our younger safeties will have gained some experience.

In my opinion- and correct me if I am wrong- we would get a 3rd round pick anyway if we have Byrd for a year and then not choose to give him a contract due to compensatory picks. Byrd would still be the highest paid and sought after safety in free agency.

Thats why you would have to make it a 2nd round pick . Not only that you leave more money open to sign UDFA at the end of the draft, Whaley was even saying in his interview that there will be good players that go undrafted that will be there for the choosing !

Plus there are some younger players in the draft that could be picked up , the one that comes to mind is the DB/S that plays for Louisville i think it was , they said he hits like a truck & has good size & speed & Williams did pretty good last year so it's not like we would be putting some one in there that is a slug !!

if clowney makes it to nine you trade the pick. because there will be offers.

To the OP . I want more than a 3rd for Byrd. alot more.

But i think maybe we could get some leverage using him.

Maybe i would like Browns 26th and 71st as the bargaining point if that media hype is to be believed ?

They can take legursky too.

If nothing else if this front office is a good one it needs to cover all the bases to make sure no possibility's slip through their hands !!

Thats why you would have to make it a 2nd round pick . Not only that you leave more money open to sign UDFA at the end of the draft, Whaley was even saying in his interview that there will be good players that go undrafted that will be there for the choosing !

Plus there are some younger players in the draft that could be picked up , the one that comes to mind is the DB/S that plays for Louisville i think it was , they said he hits like a truck & has good size & speed & Williams did pretty good last year so it's not like we would be putting some one in there that is a slug !!

If nothing else if this front office is a good one it needs to cover all the bases to make sure no possibility's slip through their hands !!

In a semi-related note it was pointed out by someone...maybe John Murphy (I can't recall for certain)...the other day...that signing Byrd long-term to the kind of contract he is looking for all but seals Aaron Williams long-term fate in Buffalo...That there is no way the Bills would be able to keep both of them...Food for thought I guess... B-)

In a semi-related note it was pointed out by someone...maybe John Murphy (I can't recall for certain)...the other day...that signing Byrd long-term to the kind of contract he is looking for all but seals Aaron Williams long-term fate in Buffalo...That there is no way the Bills would be able to keep both of them...Food for thought I guess... B-)

I read this two and changed takt on the whole shebang. I think Williams has serious potential at that safety position after last years showing. even though he had to switch back to CB. Could byrd do that ? no. he could not. Edited by 3rdand12

The Rams seem a more likely partner, esp after last year. Drop 4 spots and pick up an additional pick. However, I'm of the mindset that there are nine elite players before the first drop off of talent.

In any order: DL Clowney, LB's Barr, Mack,QB's Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater, WR Watkins,& OL Matthews and Robinson. Then the next group with LB Mosley,WR's Lee & Evans,TE Ebron OL Lewan,DB's Gilbert and Clinton-Dix among others. Not sure I would want to trade down and unless I was in love with several players. But that's just my opinion.

But I really think those will be the first nine off the board.

for

I prefer paying Byrd 8M and losing him next season to getting the 83rd pick in this years draft.

That is just common sense. The Bills are already paying heavily for Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Dareus on the OL. Adding Byrd to the mix probably maximizes their cap hit for the defense. They have to start building the offensive weapons on the roster. There is jut not much talent on that side.

Just to get it off the table, Byrd will either be a Bill next season or we will have 2 first round draft picks for him. We can easily tag him again for 8.3 million, although tagging him a third year in a row would be far too expensive. Moving on, while i was reading this post I started thinking about teams that might want to trade up with us. It hit me that we have not really fully evaluated the trading up or down that might happen before us. A quick example:

Texans (who maybe don't value any of the QBs more than another) trade their #1 for Cleveland's #4 and #26. Rams aren't looking for a QB so if they value the top 3 Qbs to be roughly the same, they not only get 1 of the 3, but also pick up an additional first round pick.

Another:

While the Rams probably have their hearts set on someone, The Jags and Browns both are probably looking for QBs/Clowney. The Rams could trade back with the Browns, dropping back 2 spots, easily get what they are looking for, and pick up a second and third rounder. Or have them pay the price or 4 + 26 for the 2 spot jump (or an additional 1 next yr instead of 26)

I think we need to really sit down and look at realistic needs of the teams ahead of us, and those that share needs of players up to our 9th pick that might want to jump the pack, or think they are 1 player away from being the next superbowl champs.

The Bills would get a comp pick at the end of the third round- pending other FA gains and losses.