Michael Sam is out.

agardin

I agreed with everything until you said the JR comparison was ludicrous? Why is it not the same? I was born in the 80's so I missed the Civil Rights movement.

I'm not going to go into the hundreds of differences, but when Jackie Robinson came to the Dodgers he came from the Negro league. Brown v Board of Education hadn't even happened yet. The KKK was thriving. He was constantly getting death threats.

Being gay is not a big deal in today's society.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to go into the hundreds of differences, but when Jackie Robinson came to the Dodgers he came from the Negro league. Brown v Board of Education hadn't even happened yet. The KKK was thriving. He was constantly getting death threats.

Being gay is not a big deal in today's society.

Well even then Blacks could get married and had other rights still not afforded to homosexuals so it is similar. Gay people still get death threats and there is still gay hate crimes. I am not taking away from Jackie Robinson since he was an amazing person first and great athlete second.

"In order to get to a place in our society where it truly, truly doesn't matter, we have to go through an awkward phase where unfortunately it does matter a whole lot. What I'm saying is whenever you see some (*^*&%^$^#comment on Mr. Sam's story with a "WHO CARES?," tell them to shut the f*!k up."

Comment under the story from Deadspin but needs to be repeated to everyone.

Edited by Peytons Neck

Well even then Blacks could get married and had other rights still not afforded to homosexuals so it is similar. Gay people still get death threats and there is still gay hate crimes. I am not taking away from Jackie Robinson since he was an amazing person first and great athlete second.

I don't think you're taking anything away from JR, I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Just read up a little on what American society was like back in the 40s and 50s and how blacks were treated and then honestly ask yourself if these are comparable situations. They are not.

The overwhelming majority of people either openly support gays or don't care about someone's sexuality.

who cares. Seems attention seeking to me. I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives. Can he play football? His life choices are his own.

Hmmm. Seems that not "approving" of that "lifestyle" is attention seeking. Who are we to approve or not of someone else's sex life? When will we lose these outdated religious based(mostly) prejudices? This is not a "look at me" deal from Sam. Apparently many people he talked to acted as if they knew his orientation already. So he made a decision to tell his own story rather than try to hide it when it inevitably came up at the combine, etc. Good for him. It's purely anecdotal, but pretty much every gay/Lesbian person I know says that they knew of their orientation at a very early age and it was something they "knew" not chose. I mean, when did you "choose" to be straight? You didn't, you just knew what attracted you. This is not a choice, people. Your sexual orientation is ingrained and not for anyone else to approve or disapprove of. In the testosterone fueled world of the NFL, this is big. Most of us will react with a "who cares, why is this newsworthy?" but that shows how far the world of pro sports has to go. And apparently some of us have further to go than that. What pomposity, to act as if someone's sexual orientation is subject to our "approval". It is not attention seeking to want to be able to openly be oneself, without worry of other's reactions or treatment. Some of us really need to get over ourselves.

"In order to get to a place in our society where it truly, truly doesn't matter, we have to go through an awkward phase where unfortunately it does matter a whole lot. What I'm saying is whenever you see some (*^*&%^$^#comment on Mr. Sam's story with a "WHO CARES?," tell them to shut the f*!k up."

Comment under the story from Deadspin but needs to be repeated to everyone.

Haha. Sure thing. Some random dude from a random website is being quoted as deep and profound?

Look, people want to make a big deal out of it, that's their prerogative. I look at is as embarrassing for that person. I've got great friends that are gay and haven't looked at a gay person differently in my entire adult life (and I'm not some 20 something hipster doofus). So yeah, it's not a big deal.

But, just like every blowhard, if you find someone who says something you don't agree with, tell them to shut the f up. Classic

Edited by dubs

It's purely anecdotal, but pretty much every gay/Lesbian person I know says that they knew of their orientation at a very early age and it was something they "knew" not chose. I mean, when did you "choose" to be straight? You didn't, you just knew what attracted you. This is not a choice, people.

May I introduce you to the wife of the current Mayor of NY city, who by her own declaration, "used to be a lesbian." Pretty sure that there might be others like her. Not making any judgment or definitive statement....Just sayin' it is what it is

May I introduce you to the wife of the current Mayor of NY city, who by her own declaration, "used to be a lesbian." Pretty sure that there might be others like her. Not making any judgment or definitive statement....Just sayin' it is what it is

What are you saying? She changed her mind, so what? I know it fits the anti-gay rhetoric to claim that they all chose to be gay in order to be different but it doesn't make it true.

Seeing your "handle" and avatar, this surprises no one. LOL

I'll be rooting for him if he plays for the Bills, otherwise, he's just another enemy player.

Re the "coming out" party: I don't care one whit, and there was no need to do it. And judging from just about everything I read and see, the 97% of the population who is not gay, does not need or want other peoples' gayness constantly thrown in their faces. Like many others have been saying for YEARS, what people do in their own private lives is NO concern to anyone.

While I am among the 97% myself, I don't share your opinion. He obviously felt the need was there because many already seemed to know his "secret". So rather than run from it, he faced it. Great. That whole "throwing it in our faces" stuff is just bigotry masquerading as annoyance. I mean, for the other"3%" don't us 97 percenters "throw around" our heterosexuality? Or do we just act like ourselves? I think that's all they want, to be openly themselves without being treated awkwardly. It's easy to say " I don't care what you do, just keep it in the closet Okay?" Kinda like don't ask don't tell.

Note that I said "pretty much every..." there are always exceptions. I know women who were married and are now lesbian. I know women who are Bi. Maybe it;s more common for women to be say..."flexible". Changing orientations after a bad marriage, etc. I can't think of a gay guy that said he used to like girls. Who knows? But most say they knew as soon as they became sexually "aware". Women sure do seem to be wired differently than men with most things. Why not orientation as well?

Note that I said "pretty much every..." there are always exceptions. I know women who were married and are now lesbian. I know women who are Bi. Maybe it;s more common for women to be say..."flexible". Changing orientations after a bad marriage, etc. I can't think of a gay guy that said he used to like girls. Who knows? But most say they knew as soon as they became sexually "aware". Women sure do seem to be wired differently than men with most things. Why not orientation as well?

Maybe due to the fact that its seen more socially acceptable.

Relevant quote from Deadspin from those who say, "Who cares?"

"In order to get to a place in our society where it truly, truly doesn't matter, we have to go through an awkward phase where unfortunately it does matter a whole lot."

What are you saying? She changed her mind, so what? I know it fits the anti-gay rhetoric to claim that they all chose to be gay in order to be different but it doesn't make it true.

I thought it was very obvious what I was saying, but I guess not. Sorry. So here it is: not everyone who is gay, is "born gay." Some people do indeed choose to be gay. That's not me making that up, rather, that's real world observations of peoples' behavior & actions.

Re the heteros "throwing around" their sexuality, or religion, or racial makeup: Not seeing it. If reporters ask athletes about it, they usually will answer truthfully (Tebow comes to mind as a good example), but very few athletes come out and just proclaim the things I mentioned, when no one is asking.

I thought it was very obvious what I was saying, but I guess not. Sorry. So here it is: not everyone who is gay, is "born gay." Some people do indeed choose to be gay. That's not me making that up, rather, that's real world observations of peoples' behavior & actions.

Re the heteros "throwing around" their sexuality, or religion, or racial makeup: Not seeing it. If reporters ask athletes about it, they usually will answer truthfully (Tebow comes to mind as a good example), but very few athletes come out and just proclaim the things I mentioned, when no one is asking.

Plenty of people enter into hetero relations and end up gay, who cares?

Gays may try to fit in but then go back once they realize what makes them truly happy. It shouldn't matter either way.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

It can be both. I do not approve as in I think practicing homosexual behavior is a sin. But, I do not care if he is a practicing homosexual. That is his call to make. Muslims believe drinking is a sin. Jews believe eating pork is a sin. They don't approve of these things, but they don't care that I drink and eat pork. I know they think it's sinful and respect that.

Then you believe homosexuality is a choice, which is ridiculous and archaic in thought. Practice your religion freely but please don't take a religious perspective on human rights and science. You would only be holding society up.