Bill Cowher kicks the snot out of

AKC

I thought that I would never see a more ridiculous argument than the Dean's the Panthers will beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl because they play smash mouth football...until today.

The problem with alot of people on this board, is that you guys hate the Patriots so much that you cannot be objective and give the Patriots their due.  So whoever plays the Patriots will be the subject of a post explaining how they will beat NE even to the extent of basing their arugment on a Hypothetical fight between Belicheck and Cowher.

Lets compare Belicheck and Cowher's records in the playoffs...Cowher made it to the Super Bowl once and blew a win when O'Donnell threw two interceptions.  And that was his peak of his sucess in the playoffs.

Only Shottenheimer and Green have worst playoff records, that is the tale of the tape.

The difference is that the Pats didn't play the Panthers during the regular season last year, so no one knew how they'd matchup. And the Steelers aren't some wimpy dome team. But hey, that's why they play the games. If not, the Pats would have been given the SB back in September.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a better option- regardless of the outcome of the games Sunday you are forced to post an original thought about the game of football on TSW for the first time in history............................................................................................................................................ We'll miss you!

213157[/snapback]

ouchy..!!!

That's gotta leave a mark.

The problem with alot of people on this board, is that you guys hate the Patriots so much that you cannot be objective and give the Patriots their due.

Here's an idea...take your schtick to a PATRIOTS board. Or do they dislike you over there too?

The difference is that the Pats didn't play the Panthers during the regular season last year, so no one knew how they'd matchup.  And the Steelers aren't some wimpy dome team.  But hey, that's why they play the games.  If not, the Pats would have been given the SB back in September.

213288[/snapback]

Please also remember, that on Sunday, it will be the aftermath of a major snow storm and 16 degrees. Neither team is going to be opening up the offense, look for a defensive battle with low scoring, and whoever gives up the ball via turnovers will lose. Special teams (which the Jets used to their advantage) will also be a factor.

Here's an idea...take your schtick to a PATRIOTS board.  Or do they dislike you over there too?

213323[/snapback]

I have as much right to post here as anybody, how about saving your moral outrage for the people who deserve it...and you know who I am talking about.

Hey, let's make a wager.  AKC, if you're incorrect about the Steelers "kicking the snot out of" the Patriots, you leave TSW. And if the Steelers win, you leave TSW.

:D  :P  :P

213154[/snapback]

I agree 100% I can't believe what I read from AKC my dog makes more sense!

The problem with alot of people on this board, is that you guys hate the Patriots so much that you cannot be objective and give the Patriots their due.  So whoever plays the Patriots will be the subject of a post explaining how they will beat NE even to the extent of basing their arugment on a Hypothetical fight between Belicheck and Cowher.

213264[/snapback]

Bledsoe Apologists appear to be the worst of all, as each big win for the Pats further justifies how shrewd BB was to dump Drew on the Bills. :D

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, but history tells us 4 things:

1. Cowher loses big games at home.

2. Rookie QBs don't win big games.

3. BB wins big games.

4. Tom Brady wins big games.

History says the Pats are a lock.

I have as much right to post here as anybody, how about saving your moral outrage for the people who deserve it...and you know who I am talking about.

213327[/snapback]

You don't know who you're messing with do you? AiO is the crankiest old ninny around these parts. You could get destroyed in short order.

I'm no Cowher fan but there's some serious precedent for a Steeler's win this weekend based upon Cowher's teams of the past. While Bill Belichick is the analytical coach who trains his fighters to play smart and play together- buying their mental emotion in the vast majority of circumstances, Cowher is a guy who has many times bought his fighter's adrenaline with toughness instead of smarts. As sporting as it is to watch the smart fighter beat the tough guy in many circumstances, this time we have a coach who lives on predicting the other team's tendencies and confusing the opposition. It's proven effective in the immediate past. On Sunday the outcome will come down to this:

If Bill Cowher found himself in a physical confrontation with the analytical Bill Belichick the fighting would end with Belichick on the floor with his hands covering his face screaming STOP! STOP! SOMEONE STOP HIM!

Cowher would knock the stuffing out of Belichick mainly because his fight would be from a deeper emotion, a more basic instinct than logic, one fed by adrenalin and coaxed on by a hunger that logic is unable to compete with.

Cowher's trick Sunday will be exploiting the same thing- to bring out the animal element of his players to consume the logical coach, logical QB and logical defensive strategy the Pats will no doubt unveil as the game unfolds. Twice this season the logical QB of the Pats faced pressure, and twice this season that same logical QB folded like a Galloping Gourmet episode filmed at a girl's school.

Over the course of the Cowher career he's displayed plenty of reasons to assume he'll fall to a far more intellectual strategy. There's plenty of reason to believe the same will happen Sunday, hence the Vegas line on the game. But the one element the Vegas line can miss, a line established by cold logic and analysis, is the same element of emotion that Cowher has successfully called out at times in the past.

It won't take long to determine whether there'll be a game Sunday in Pitt- Belichick will no doubt have his troops arrive with the emotion of logic ready to win a road game- the key is the Steelers. Do they show up with the look of a guy whose wife just told him about an affair and he's got an address he wants to visit or do they come out flat like they did against the Jets?

I'd be less inclined to buy the logical Vegas line since the Jet's game appeared to be a "looked past" Sunday. The Steeler tone will be obvious early- they come out to play or they simply don't have it. It's tough to bet that their coach can't find another week of emotion out of a talented group who must realize just how emotionless they played last week.

213087[/snapback]

How is it that some Buffalo Bill fans still do not know how good the Patriots are? The Steelers will not be kicking the snot out of the Patriots. That is the safest bet ever.

I've given the Pats their props for their regular season prowess.  It's their habit of being helped in the post-season that I can't stand.  A ridiculous "tuck" call and they don't make the AFCCG in 2001.  The refs calling even just 1/3 of those 15 missed holding calls against the Colts last year and they don't make the SB.  For perspective, I hate the Red Sox as well, but I can at least give them their props for what they did last season, because there was no officiating controversy.  So yes I think that they've done it on "karma" and that thinking they'll continue to do it on "karma" is more ridiculous than looking at what the Steelers did back on Halloween, seeing how the Pats have lost some players since then, and seeing what the Steelers did to the Bills in a meaningless game (for them) to end the season.  Now had the Steelers lost back on Halloween, or if the game were being played in NE, I wouldn't be talking the way I am.  But that isn't the case.

213252[/snapback]

I agree with you to a certain extent on the officiating. Mysterious things seem to happen in their games. Honestly I havent noticed it as much this season. As far as the Halloween game earlier this season I dont think you read too much into that. In any sport the playoffs are a different animal. The Pats were very banged up for that game and I think you have to keep in mind they were due for a loss. More "karma" if you will. They had won all those games in a row and I dont think their motivation then was the same as now. More "karma" if you will.

I would like to see Cowher kick the snot out of Belechek.

As for the game, though, my opinion (for what it's worth) is that teams are slowly figuring out the 'rookie-ness' of Ben R. If anyone can exploit this to it's maximum, it's Crennel/Belechek. I think the Pats win.

ouchy..!!!

That's gotta leave a mark.

213309[/snapback]

How so? It was a pretty weak attempt, if you ask me. I talk about football all the time, on TSW and off. Looking through the history of my posts would show you many an "original football thought" - which sounds pretty oxymoronic to me.

I love, love, love how AKC treats football as if it were something is similar to a state of enlightment - you know, it's something only a select few get. In reality, football is a pretty simple sport, when you get down to it.

But not everyone is as insecure as AKC, and probably no one else has a bigger inferiority complex.

Because I live in Pittsburgh I've watched this team all year - it just seemed the Steelers caught just about every team they played at the right time. Their road schedule was really really weak. Every tough game they played was at home - it almost makes you believe in destiny (which I think is crap).

I will give them credit for beating the crap out of NE and Philly - both at home. But c'mon, how nice would it be to be in a division with Clev and Cin. Plus they played the NFC east - probably the weakest division this year.

Given all that though, I think they beat NE, not because they are a great team - but because of the intangibles (the crowd, maybe Bettis's last game, being the underdog - which they are really playing up, etc) - plus they do have a better running game than NE. If they can keep the ball from Brady and not turn the ball over more than once I think their running game will wear down the NE defense by the 4th qtr.

Pit -20

NE- 13

Because I live in Pittsburgh I've watched this team all year - it just seemed the Steelers caught just about every team they played at the right time. Their road schedule was really really weak. Every tough game they played was at home - it almost makes you believe in destiny (which I think is crap).

I will give them credit for beating the crap out of NE and Philly - both at home. But c'mon, how nice would it be to be in a division with Clev and Cin. Plus they played the NFC east - probably the weakest division this year.

Given all that though, I think they beat NE, not because they are a great team - but because of the intangibles (the crowd, maybe Bettis's last game, being the underdog - which they are really playing up, etc) - plus they do have a better running game than NE. If they can keep the ball from Brady and not turn the ball over more than once I think their running game will wear down the NE defense by the 4th qtr.

Pit -20

NE- 13

213513[/snapback]

The Steelers are upset at being underdogs????? That's rich. What have they done compared to the Pats? I can't even believe the Steelers think they're worthy of being the favorites here. They shouldn't even be playing this game since the lowly Jets should have took them out last week. They're lucky to even be here and they're upset at being underdogs!? I've heard everything now. I hope the Pats kill em.

The Steelers are upset at being underdogs????? That's rich. What have they done compared to the Pats? I can't even believe the Steelers think they're worthy of being the favorites here. They shouldn't even be playing this game since the lowly Jets should have took them out last week. They're lucky to even be here and they're upset at being underdogs!? I've heard everything now. I hope the Pats kill em.

True, the Steelers have done nothing. They've only won 15 games in a row, destroyed the other 2 top teams in the regular season, and overcome numerous injuries. But you're right. They almost lost to the Jets. That's worse than losing to the Dolphins. :D

If I were the Steelers, I'd be pissed off as well. They're getting no respect. That won't bode well for the Pats, since that's their shtick.

True, the Steelers have done nothing.  They've only won 15 games in a row, destroyed the other 2 top teams in the regular season, and overcome numerous injuries.  But you're right.  They almost lost to the Jets.  That's worse than losing to the Dolphins. :D

If I were the Steelers, I'd be pissed off as well.  They're getting no respect.  That won't bode well for the Pats, since that's their shtick.

213562[/snapback]

Again, let me repeat this, the weather conditions this Sunday means a low scoring game where both teams need to avoid mistakes...the team turns over the ball is the team that will lose. And special teams are going to be a huge factor, and that is one area where the Patriots excell.