"True Detective" anyone?

Buftex

It'll probably be something I'm not anticipating at all, but I don't think Rust was in on it...............I'm suspecting Maggie's father was somehow in this ring, Maggie may have been a victim, and the daughter saw something and is paying the price.

In some ways, I would think it wold be awesome if Rust was the killer they have been looking for all along...but at this point, it would be silly if that happened... don't necessarily like the Maggie idea either, but I just can't tie the daughter into any ending for this daughter, without Maggie and/or Rust being involved...I don't like Scooby-Doo endings, but you never know...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll probably be something I'm not anticipating at all, but I don't think Rust was in on it...............I'm suspecting Maggie's father was somehow in this ring, Maggie may have been a victim, and the daughter saw something and is paying the price.

I'm guessing that we might not get a formal conclusion to this. That they gave us enough to speculate, and they may simply confirm we are right in speculating but not give the actual story as much as an offhand comment along the lines of "even your family ties"

I think much of the hour is devoted to the chase and apprehension (likely killing) of lawn mower man and not firmly answering 20 years of loose ends.

Edited by NoSaint

S1 E7 is the last I saw.

That would be it. It seems pretty obvious that lawn mower guy is a big part of it, since he's the scarred guy they are looking for...........One thing I don't remember - when Rust was talking to what I think was the same guy about 5 episodes ago, could you see his scars then?

Rust Cohle explains Matthew McConaughey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKcUdDWIHOI

Awesome!

I'm guessing that we might not get a formal conclusion to this. That they gave us enough to speculate, and they may simply confirm we are right in speculating but not give the actual story as much as an offhand comment along the lines of "even your family ties"

I think much of the hour is devoted to the chase and apprehension (likely killing) of lawn mower man and not firmly answering 20 years of loose ends.

I'm going to be pissed if they leave it to us to figure out!

I just binge watched the whole season and this didn't occur to me til I read what you all have been posting. In episode two, Hart tells the girls its time for dinner and after they leave the room he sees six dolls on the ground. 1 naked girl doll and five guy dolls surrounding her, one of which is about to get intimate. Just like in the video Rust found in Tuttles safe. It really focused in on the dolls. There is no way they don't tie this in. They focused on it way to much to not tie it in.

..........One thing I don't remember - when Rust was talking to what I think was the same guy about 5 episodes ago, could you see his scars then?

No. I went back to see after he was in episode 7. He had a scruffy beard so you couldn't see it.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I can't see it as a revenge thing, as it seems like the victims have all been tied to the church or the Tuttle schools... it would be random, but they do mention that the oldest daughter is now in New Orleans, where Rust goes to interview the male prostitute. Oh well....I guess we will find out shortly!

That would be it. It seems pretty obvious that lawn mower guy is a big part of it, since he's the scarred guy they are looking for...........One thing I don't remember - when Rust was talking to what I think was the same guy about 5 episodes ago, could you see his scars then?

Awesome!

I'm going to be pissed if they leave it to us to figure out!

He had a beard going I believe so it wasn't prominent but it was visible - lots of speculation around that scene as rust got hurried back to the car by his partner as soon as he started talking to scar face.

Additionally if you watch again, the sign at the school is partially cutoff leaving only the last few letters of each line, which read "notice king"

Big scene.

Edited by NoSaint

Well done all around.

For those curious, rumors are that the next cast of TD might center on two female detectives. I'd sign up for that.

I must say, I was a little disappointed with the ending. Loved the first 6 episodes, but I thought, for the most part, it played out like just another cop-buddy movie, the last two. HBO cured the the athiest cop! For me, the ballsiest ending would have been for Cohle to be the killer they were looking for... still enjoyed it, but like a lot of things, the ending seems to be the hardest thing to pull off.

I must say, I was a little disappointed with the ending. Loved the first 6 episodes, but I thought, for the most part, it played out like just another cop-buddy movie, the last two. HBO cured the the athiest cop! For me, the ballsiest ending would have been for Cohle to be the killer they were looking for... still enjoyed it, but like a lot of things, the ending seems to be the hardest thing to pull off.

I understand that sentiment. My bets going into the finale were that Cohle was a gonner and Marty would be left to finish paying his debt alone. Since I went into the finale with those expectations, I found the ending to be genuinely surprising. Maybe it's only because I went in with that mindset -- but I dug the hell out of it. I've been a fan of both of those guys forever, so I was going to be an easy sell for this show regardless. But from a writing perspective and visual storytelling perspective, Nic and Cary deserve HUGE kudos.

I understand that sentiment. My bets going into the finale were that Cohle was a gonner and Marty would be left to finish paying his debt alone. Since I went into the finale with those expectations, I found the ending to be genuinely surprising. Maybe it's only because I went in with that mindset -- but I dug the hell out of it. I've been a fan of both of those guys forever, so I was going to be an easy sell for this show regardless. But from a writing perspective and visual storytelling perspective, Nic and Cary deserve HUGE kudos.

I knew, about halfway through the 7th episode, that there weren't going to be any real surprises for me...then, showing the "yellow king" at the end of #7, there was little doubt that it was going to play out only one way. There were just an awful lot of red herrings thrown in, and I had such admiration for the writing up to that point....I think it would have been daring, and much more adventurous to have Cohle turn out to be the killer...the character that the audience loved so much...all his soliloquies could have been written off the way they were received by every character, like ramblings of a mad man. I just think they took the easy way out of the story, which had been so beautifully and painstakingly built. Like I said, I thought it was a strong effort, really great actiing, cinematography, and writing for the most part...but just sort of a hollow ending...what did Cohle experience in Carcosa that made his life-long nihilism turn so hopeful? Was it the knife to the gut, the hatchett to the chest? All at the hands of some living, breathing, human monster?

I knew, about halfway through the 7th episode, that there weren't going to be any real surprises for me...then, showing the "yellow king" at the end of #7, there was little doubt that it was going to play out only one way. There were just an awful lot of red herrings thrown in, and I had such admiration for the writing up to that point....I think it would have been daring, and much more adventurous to have Cohle turn out to be the killer...the character that the audience loved so much...all his soliloquies could have been written off the way they were received by every character, like ramblings of a mad man. I just think they took the easy way out of the story, which had been so beautifully and painstakingly built. Like I said, I thought it was a strong effort, really great actiing, cinematography, and writing for the most part...but just sort of a hollow ending...what did Cohle experience in Carcosa that made his life-long nihilism turn so hopeful? Was it the knife to the gut, the hatchett to the chest? All at the hands of some living, breathing, human monster?

I hear you. I do. And I see your side of it. I come down a little differently, I think it would have been the easy way out to make Cohle the killer only because they had spent so much time in the first 3 episodes letting us form our own conclusions about the guy. I think that was the intent. It wasn't so much as a mislead as it was more of a way to let the audience get tripped up in their own conclusions / presumptions about Cohle, Marty and the story being told. By Episode 4 it was pretty clear from the evidence that Cohle wasn't the guy so it would have felt false to me if they had circled it back around and pinned it on him or Marty. I think it was braver to tell a more traditional buddy-cop-serial killer mystery simply due to the over saturation of anti-hero type stories being told on TV and the interwebs these days.

On more of a philosophical tip, I think that with shows like Sopranos through the phenomenal Breaking Bad, we as an audience have been conditioned to expect the anti-hero twists. TD played into that (knowingly or not, I don't know) and instead of delivering another flawed anti-hero story it turned into a story about real people who made real mistakes and spent their lives trying to fix it. The world of TD itself was the bad guy and our two heroes stood out, flaws and all, as the true hero.

Edited by GreggyT