High school football coach fired after going 12-0 and winning state ti

Dr. Fong

So my alma mater fired the only coach to ever win a state title in football. The reason that they stated was the principal had told the coach not to run up scores on opponents. In the principal's view that was something that the coach violated.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/football-exbishop-sullivan-coach-disputes-schools-statement

Just to give you an idea here are the scores from this year. I was at three games and while they dominated each one they didn't do anything that I would consider unsportsmanlike.

37 - 0Win08/307:00p

First Flight (Kill Devil Hills, NC)

Game Details: BISHOP SULLIVAN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL

62 - 41Win09/067:00p

@ Portsmouth Christian (Portsmouth, VA)

51 - 10Win09/134:00p

@ St. Anne's-Belfield (Charlottesville, VA)

49 - 22Win09/207:00p

@ Nansemond-Suffolk Academy (Suffolk, VA)

Game Details: NANSEMOND-SUFFOLK ACADEMY

42 - 30Win09/277:00p

Norfolk Christian (Norfolk, VA)

Game Details: BISHOP SULLIVAN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL

66 - 32Win10/052:00p

@ Trinity Episcopal (Richmond, VA)

42 - 23Win10/117:00p

Greenbrier Christian Academy (Chesapeake, VA)

45 - 18Win10/257:00p

@ Hampton Roads Academy (Newport News, VA)

62 - 6Win11/017:00p

Norfolk Academy (Norfolk, VA)

Game Details: SPORTSPLEX

42 - 13Win11/087:00p

St. Anne's-Belfield (Charlottesville, VA)

45 - 23Win11/167:00p

Potomac School (McLean, VA)

50 - 44Win

What's the other side of the story?

Who knows, maybe he and the principal really butted heads. Knowing the principal, I have no trouble believing he would have friction with someone. It just is a shame that the school finally had a coach that built a winning program. I was picturing my son eventually playing for him. Kind of frustrating that they couldn't work something out with such a successful coach.

This is from August .... Parents of students at Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School said Friday they support the decision to suspend the football coach after he found students drinking alcohol during a party at his home.

http://hamptonroads....-sullivan-coach

Yeah, that happened. Some kids were drinking, he took the alcohol away, called parents, and reported it to the administration. I don't know what else he was supposed to do.

Yeah, that happened. Some kids were drinking, he took the alcohol away, called parents, and reported it to the administration. I don't know what else he was supposed to do.

Having his players/students at his house where alcohol was available is worthy of getting canned, IMO. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Having his players/students at his house where alcohol was available is worthy of getting canned, IMO. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It wasn't available. They brought it. As soon as he found them with it he took it away. If that was the reason for his firing it should have happened back in August. He was suspended for two games.

Edited by Dr. Fong

It wasn't available. They brought it. As soon as he found them with it he took it away. If that was the reason for his firing it should have happened back in August. He was suspended for two games.

Winning is important down there.

You're contradicting yourself. He was fired for winning by too much.

No. He was fired because they knew his allowing kids to drink at his house months earlier was going to blow up in the school's face. The winning too much reason was convenient. As was allowing him to coach long enough to win the state championship.

No. He was fired because they knew his allowing kids to drink at his house months earlier was going to blow up in the school's face. The winning too much reason was convenient. As was allowing him to coach long enough to win the state championship.

How would it blow up in their face? It had happened months ago and was handled to the satisfaction of the administration, parents, and the authorities.

On a side note are you some kind of novelty account that I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice? I've noticed your username a few times in the past couple of weeks and felt like I was reading an Ieatcrayonz post.

How would it blow up in their face? It had happened months ago and was handled to the satisfaction of the administration, parents, and the authorities.

On a side note are you some kind of novelty account that I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice? I've noticed your username a few times in the past couple of weeks and felt like I was reading an Ieatcrayonz post.

Flattery will get you ... Everywhere!!

Okay. On a totally serious note. I'm looking at this from the outside.

I see a coach suspended two games after high school kids are caught drinking at his house.

I see said coach - who apparently did nothing wrong - receive, and accept, a two game suspension. For doing nothing wrong.

I see the same coach come back to led his team to a state championship.

I see the same coach fired shortly after winning the state championship for running up the score - when the evidence shows that none of the scores were run up.

All of the above takes place within a 4-month window.

I'm sorry, but unless there is some history between the AD and the coach - prior to the drinking incident - I'm guessing that the school waited until after the season to fire this guy. And I am opining that they waited because they knew there was a chance they would win the state championship - IF this coach was in place.

My theory is that they gave the 2-game suspension just to shut the public up for a few months and they were waiting for the coach to give them a reason to fire him.

They looked at the scores and went with the "he ran up the score" card, because there was no other way to get rid of him.

I'm not trolling. I'm not trying to emulate Crayonz. I'm being serious.

Edited by Gugny

Okay. On a totally serious note. I'm looking at this from the outside.

I see a coach suspended two games after high school kids are caught drinking at his house.

I see said coach - who apparently did nothing wrong - receive, and accept, a two game suspension. For doing nothing wrong.

I see the same coach come back to led his team to a state championship.

I see the same coach fired shortly after winning the state championship for running up the score - when the evidence shows that none of the scores were run up.

All of the above takes place within a 4-month window.

I'm sorry, but unless there is some history between the AD and the coach - prior to the drinking incident - I'm guessing that the school waited until after the season to fire this guy. And I am opining that they waited because they knew there was a chance they would win the state championship - IF this coach was in place.

My theory is that they gave the 2-game suspension just to shut the public up for a few months and they were waiting for the coach to give them a reason to fire him.

They looked at the scores and went with the "he ran up the score" card, because there was no other way to get rid of him.

I'm not trolling. I'm not trying to emulate Crayonz. I'm being serious.

I agree. They want him gone. Is it really a big deal? He works @ will, so what if he has a state title under his belt. It is only high school, there are other more important factors than winning. If they don't like him, don't keep him on, no matter what he produces on the field.

Where the !@#$ did you go to High School? There wasn't anywhere in the world we went where alcohol wasn't available. Especially since we always brought some.

Kids are always going to be kids. They're going to smoke weed, drink, and fornicate whenever and wherever they can. You can pass all the laws and incarcerate everyone and it's not going to stop it. That coach did the only thing he could and the idiots who suspended him from coaching don't have the stones to be in charge of anything because they responded with "mob rule" mentality instead of actual leadership.

I agree. They want him gone. Is it really a big deal? He works @ will, so what if he has a state title under his belt. It is only high school, there are other more important factors than winning. If they don't like him, don't keep him on, no matter what he produces on the field.

Holy state the obvious Batman! They fired him, of course they want him gone. Opinions differ on 'why.' I don't see anything deeper than a coach was told to be cognizant of sportsmanship & not run up the score. By his own admission the coach ignored these warnings and was fired.

The drinking is just a back story IMO. As for whether it is a big deal...it is for Dr. Fong which is why he brought it to our attention. Just how big only he can tell you.