Who needs 4 wheel drive when you have....

Just Jack

No. One horse can generate as much as 18 horsepower, I think.

The minimum being, of course, zero.

That is what I thought. That Hp is not measured 1 to 1... That puts that team into perspective as a 72 hp (maximum) assist. It is only one semi, tanker. Who knows if it is loaded or not. ?? Probably not. Will it get stuck easier being empty or a light load? Only through the snow too.

On the river (of course through the water, more drag?) an average retractable pilot house (non-mainline) towboat will have about 500-1200 hp. A big river, southern retractable towboat can be up to 5,000 hp. Figure that average 500-1200 hp boat will easily push up to 6 or 8 barges (of course again, through the water). That is anywhere from 9,600 tons to 12,800 tons of weight. Again, that 72 hp team is only pulling one little semi/tanker that may or may not be loaded. To put that semi into perspective, there is this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iowadot.gov%2Fcompare.pdf&ei=fDLPUsfOEKbc2gWo8oHYBg&usg=AFQjCNHLjcOmnYTuz6-2Umrms8sui1eISQ&sig2=S4KOlA8Lx_lABtW5FMBwWQ

Thats roughly 8000lbs pulling a 40,000lb (empty) or 80,000lb+ (loaded) semi out of a ditch. Traction, torque and center of gravity at work there. I would take the 4 horses over a 400hp truck in that situation. They can use the torque they produce much more efficiently and put said torque to the ground through traction by shifting body weight. A 400hp 4x4 truck in that situation would end up just spinning its wheels until it was able to get traction. By then the horses have won. Horsepower is the speed at which torque is applied. Great for drag racing but in real world applications its the torque that does the work.

Thats roughly 8000lbs pulling a 40,000lb (empty) or 80,000lb+ (loaded) semi out of a ditch. Traction, torque and center of gravity at work there. I would take the 4 horses over a 400hp truck in that situation. They can use the torque they produce much more efficiently and put said torque to the ground through traction by shifting body weight. A 400hp 4x4 truck in that situation would end up just spinning its wheels until it was able to get traction. By then the horses have won. Horsepower is the speed at which torque is applied. Great for drag racing but in real world applications its the torque that does the work.

Nice explanation. Thanks.

Truck loaded is only 40 tons, unloaded (mt) is 20 tons. Thanks. I've seen little sh*t tugs with 600 hp push (they pull it on a tow line when they get to The Lake) a 3,200 TON tanker barge.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Horses don't produce torque. And horsepower is not "the speed at which torque is applied." :wallbash:

http://thekneeslider.com/what-is-horsepower-and-torque/

From the article:

"...horsepower is a calculation not a measurement. Think about that. It means you don't actually measure horsepower, you measure that force exerted through a distance over a period of time and make a calculation that results in a number, the number is horsepower. That force being measured is torque..."