Mario and Byrd Make 2nd Team NFL All-Pro

DE Mario Williams, S Jairus Byrd make 2013 All-Pro Team

NEW YORK (AP) - The Associated Press 2013 NFL All-Pro team selected by a national panel of 50 media members:

OFFENSE

Quarterback-Peyton Manning, Denver.

Running Backs-LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia; Jamaal Charles, Kansas City.

Fullback-Mike Tolbert, Carolina.

Tight End-Jimmy Graham, New Orleans.

Wide Receivers-Calvin Johnson, Detroit; Josh Gordon, Cleveland.

Tackles-Joe Thomas, Cleveland; Jason Peters, Philadelphia.

Guards-Louis Vasquez, Denver; Evan Mathis, Philadelphia.

Center-Ryan Kalil, Carolina.

Placekicker-Justin Tucker, Baltimore.

Kick Returner-Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota.

DEFENSE

Ends-J.J. Watt, Houston; Robert Quinn, St. Louis.

Tackles-Gerald McCoy, Tampa Bay; Ndamukong Suh, Detroit.

Outside Linebackers-Robert Mathis, Indianapolis; Lavonte David, Tampa Bay.

Inside Linebacker-Luke Kuechly, Carolina; NaVorro Bowman, San Francisco.

Cornerbacks-Richard Sherman, Seattle; Patrick Peterson, Arizona.

Safeties-Earl Thomas, Seattle; Eric Berry, Kansas City.

Punter-Johnny Hekker, St. Louis.

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback-None.

Running Backs-Adrian Peterson, Minnesota; Eddie Lacy, Green Bay.

Fullback-Marcel Reece, Oakland.

Tight End-Vernon Davis, San Francisco.

Wide Receivers-A.J. Green, Cincinnati; Demaryius Thomas, Denver, and Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh.

Tackles-Tyron Smith, Dallas; Joe Staley, San Francisco.

Guards-Jahri Evans, New Orleans; Logan Mankins, New England, and Josh Sitton, Green Bay.

Center-Alex Mack, Cleveland.

Placekicker-Matt Prater, Denver.

Kick Returner-Dexter McCluster, Kansas City.

DEFENSE

Ends-Mario Williams, Buffalo; Greg Hardy, Carolina.

Tackles-Dontari Poe, Kansas City; Muhammad Wilkerson, New York Jets, Jurrell Casey, Tennessee, and Justin Smith, San Francisco.

Outside Linebackers-Tamba Hali, Kansas City; Ahmad Brooks, San Francisco.

Inside Linebackers-Vontaze Burfict, Cincinnati; Karlos Dansby, Arizona.

Cornerbacks-Aqib Talib, New England; Joe Haden, Cleveland, and Alterraun Verner, Tennessee.

Safeties-Eric Weddle, San Diego; Kam Chancellor, Seattle, Jairus Byrd, Buffalo, T.J. Ward, Cleveland, Devin McCourty, New England, and Antrel Rolle, New York Giants.

Punter-Brandon Fields, Miami.

2nd team QB - none...? Brees? Newton? Rivers? in that order.

I watched 2 games of the Eagles. Jason Peters did not deserve that honor from what I saw. Not even his best year, but he may have been among the best at the position nonetheless.

Kalil. If you watch Panthers games you will love this guy, a throwback to earlier days. Reminds me of Kent Hull, a big reason that team succeeds.

Keuchly did not have that good of a year. He had a lot of blunders and boneheaded plays. I mean, A for effort and all but the guy was in the wrong place a lot and then when he gets there it was too much too late.

No matter what Burfict ever turns in to long term I cannot call him an ILB. The guy doesn't have what you think of with an ILB. He is a Jack, sure, but the guy is something else and it's phenomenal.

I watched 2 games of the Eagles. Jason Peters did not deserve that honor from what I saw. Not even his best year, but he may have been among the best at the position nonetheless.

Kalil. If you watch Panthers games you will love this guy, a throwback to earlier days. Reminds me of Kent Hull, a big reason that team succeeds.

Keuchly did not have that good of a year. He had a lot of blunders and boneheaded plays. I mean, A for effort and all but the guy was in the wrong place a lot and then when he gets there it was too much too late.

No matter what Burfict ever turns in to long term I cannot call him an ILB. The guy doesn't have what you think of with an ILB. He is a Jack, sure, but the guy is something else and it's phenomenal.

Totally disagree. Peters had a fantastic year and that's one big reason why the Eagles offense is so potent.

Peyton was voted unanimously . No other QB received a vote = No 2nd team QB

I beg to differ. Kuechly was great this year

Why so many safeties in the 2nd team? Oh and didn't Kyle Williams make the pro bowl? Wussup with that?

Many safeties on the 2nd team just means there were ties in the voting at that position. Pro Bowl and All Pro are independent votes with no relationship to each other.

Totally disagree. Peters had a fantastic year and that's one big reason why the Eagles offense is so potent.

Many safeties on the 2nd team just means there were ties in the voting at that position. Pro Bowl and All Pro are independent votes with no relationship to each other.

I guess I am just crazy, a lot of people disagreeing with me on different things. But, again, I fall back to my belief that the quality of football in this league is at a low point. That players are making many fundamental mistakes, bad angles, pass interference, poor tackling, etc.

Keuchly's solid year was filled with mental mistakes and plays of being 'off.' No player is perfect, but for his praises Keuchly is not deserving. Ray Lewis might be the best LB of all time and he did not make mistakes.

I guess I am just crazy, a lot of people disagreeing with me on different things. But, again, I fall back to my belief that the quality of football in this league is at a low point. That players are making many fundamental mistakes, bad angles, pass interference, poor tackling, etc.

Keuchly's solid year was filled with mental mistakes and plays of being 'off.' No player is perfect, but for his praises Keuchly is not deserving. Ray Lewis might be the best LB of all time and he did not make mistakes.

There's one place where we agree with a major contributing factor being so much less practice time as mandated by the CBA,

Why so many safeties in the 2nd team? Oh and didn't Kyle Williams make the pro bowl? Wussup with that?

From the NFL.com article about the safeties:

"The second-team players likely got one vote apiece."....................Does Tim Graham get a vote?

Also from the NFL.com article:

"This was not Peters' best season, so his selection is a sign that there weren't many standout options and that, frankly, it's hard for writers to evaluate offensive line play."

From the NFL.com article about the safeties:

"The second-team players likely got one vote apiece."....................Does Tim Graham get a vote?

Also from the NFL.com article:

"This was not Peters' best season, so his selection is a sign that there weren't many standout options and that, frankly, it's hard for writers to evaluate offensive line play."

I don't read a lot of the articles on nfl.com, espn.com, or other sources that are 90% crap, 9% fluff 1% content.

That is hilarious. I guess I should just work at NFL.com or actually coach or do whatever these evaluators do, I probably watched as much of Peters as a bag of Pringles and still can tell you about his season.

Either I am some sort of savant or I am just a good guesser.

Ohhhhhh ok...

In the Eagles games I watched, peters was dominating. That said, i only saw a few games.

You notice that Biscuit isn't here. Now that the Eagles have a right handed QB must be that Peters has convinced him. :thumbsup:

I love how they say it wasn't his best year........he tore an achilles tendon in the offseason after 2011(and tore it again months later) and missed all of 2012 last season.......then comes back and immediately goes first team All Pro again.

Has ANYONE ever done that? At any position?

It's a league where rules changes are leading to major offensive records being re-set every year so some pretty amazing things get overlooked.......but what he did is pretty amazing.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I thought the two best Bills this year were Cordy Glenn and Leodis McKelvin.

The voting is based on reputation which is aided and abetted by winning and market size.

As much as I'm happy to see two Bills get named, I question how deserving Mario and Byrd are.

Mario still disappears for long stretches and Byrd started in just 10 games. But they're both big names that the media is familiar with.

I have a real hard time believing that any of the O-tackles had a better year than Cordy Glenn. Peters looked excellent the few times I watched him closely but the others looked ordinary to me.

How does anybody watch a game and notice that an O lineman is dominating?

I watched the o-line.

I thought the two best Bills this year were Cordy Glenn and Leodis McKelvin.

The voting is based on reputation which is aided and abetted by winning and market size.

As much as I'm happy to see two Bills get named, I question how deserving Mario and Byrd are.

Mario still disappears for long stretches and Byrd started in just 10 games. But they're both big names that the media is familiar with.

I have a real hard time believing that any of the O-tackles had a better year than Cordy Glenn. Peters looked excellent the few times I watched him closely but the others looked ordinary to me.

I thought mario deserved it. He clearly opened up rush lanes for other players. As for byrd, in the games he played in he was a clear difference maker. The difference between him and leodis (who had a great season) is the same as it always was: one player has great ball skills, and one has weak ball skills.

Edited by dave mcbride

How does anybody watch a game and notice that an O lineman is dominating?

If you were being serious, I'll answer for your benefit, if not then for others.

Simple ways to judge an Oline:

• Is there a a pocket created and maintained in which there is an equal space on all sides for the QB to drop in to then step in to pass?
  • If the pocket begins to break do the OL all space between themselves to allow a QB to move and flee the pocket?
  • On the ends, the OT's, are they being pushed in a line back toward the QB or are they able to swing their players around and ride them around the QB?
  • Does the center of the pocket fall one way or another on a consistent basis?
  • Furthermore, do the OL keep their heads up and recognize blitzes, specifically delayed blitzes and pick them up? Primarily this is the job of the OG.

• On rushing plays do they establish a point of attack against the front 7 that allow them to create a hole?
  • Are they able to keep that hole open and turn their bodies outward from the hole?
  • Do they move as a solid line or are they a broken dash-gap-dash type of line generating different levels of pressure on the front 7 which will allow a D player to get through?

hope I helped

I thought mario deserved it. He clearly opened up rush lanes for other players. As for byrd, in the games he played in he was a clear difference maker. The difference between him and leodis (who had a great season) is the same as it always was: one player has great ball skills, and one has weak ball skills.

Fair enough.

But I would compare Leodis' season to that of the other cornerbacks.

As for Byrd, he picked up steam as his season progressed but his game was not flawless by any means.

I still say make him the highest-paid safety in the league but that's not what we're discussing.

As for Mario, I remain fairly lukewarm on his impact and I don't think he's one of the top 4 DEs in the NFL.

JMO.

If you were being serious, I'll answer for your benefit, if not then for others.

Simple ways to judge an Oline:

• Is there a a pocket created and maintained in which there is an equal space on all sides for the QB to drop in to then step in to pass?
  • If the pocket begins to break do the OL all space between themselves to allow a QB to move and flee the pocket?
  • On the ends, the OT's, are they being pushed in a line back toward the QB or are they able to swing their players around and ride them around the QB?
  • Does the center of the pocket fall one way or another on a consistent basis?
  • Furthermore, do the OL keep their heads up and recognize blitzes, specifically delayed blitzes and pick them up? Primarily this is the job of the OG.

• On rushing plays do they establish a point of attack against the front 7 that allow them to create a hole?
  • Are they able to keep that hole open and turn their bodies outward from the hole?
  • Do they move as a solid line or are they a broken dash-gap-dash type of line generating different levels of pressure on the front 7 which will allow a D player to get through?

hope I helped

Sounds like too much work............Dave said he watches the O Line. I think I've done that for maybe 5 plays in 45 or so years of watching football. Got pretty boring quick, when you're missing the play.

I guess I'll just have to rely on everybody's else's opinion that Peters is great and he sucks.