Was Stevie's move to the slot a complete failure?

1billsfan

The numbers say so. Only four less games played than in 2012, yet he had half the number of yards and half the number of touchdowns.

Is it time for Marrone and Hackett to say "our bad, SJ's much better suited for the outside"? Time that TJ Graham needs to be cut from this team and for the Bills to have a trio of Johnson, Woods and with Goodwin playing the slot role? I seem to remember that Stevie was able to own the baddest cover CB on the planet when playing on the outside. I think crossing patterns (aka pick plays) with Johnson and Goodwin could cause fits for opposing DCs. I remember Stevie being great at winning the sideline battles.

The reason I'm thinking about this subject is because the fix to the WR position may already be here. Maybe this team could draft a defensive monster like Mack or Barr, or maybe even a top OL prospect, and not have to burn it on a position that could wait for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round WR prospect to groom.

Hard to say whether SJ is suited more to the slot or outside because he was basically gimping around most of the year with a bad groin pull (he wasn't running he was limping and hopping quickly) and when he got healthier physically it was soon after that his mother died - I don't know if the death was sudden and unexpected or if SJ knew it was coming if it was the later than I can understand his inconsistent concentration level - My guess is while SJ is not a top 10 WR he is a hell of a lot better than this season indicates and that he has the versatility to be effective in both the slot and outside.

The reason his production was down could also be due to the fact that he had 3 pretty bad to mediocre rookies throwing to him all year.

The Bills actually had only 103 fewer yards passing than last year. Fitzpatrick was better, but SJ isn't a slot guy and Graham isn't a starter IMO. Is there anyone here who wouldn't want TJ replaced by Stevie? Go back and look at SJs highlights on youtube, the guy has a real knack at winning those sideline pass battles. Is he a deep threat like Green or Megatron, no, but is it worth chasing that kind of a player who might not even be there in this draft and missing out on a possible monster defensive player in the 1st round?

The Bills actually had only 103 fewer yards passing than last year. Fitzpatrick was better, but SJ isn't a slot guy and Graham isn't a starter IMO.

SJ was undoubtedly Fitz favorite target, and Gailey's "beat the man, get to the spot" offense suited him perfectly.

Don't overlook the impact of a change in system (WCO, precise timed route running) combned with SJ and EJ missing different parts of the pre-season. SJ was no longer the favorite target last year, no matter where he was playing. The QB/WR combo that looked most promising in terms of developing chemistry, was EJ to Woods.

Will SJ buy into the system and work to develop chemistry with EJ? Tune in next year.

The Bills actually had only 103 fewer yards passing than last year. Fitzpatrick was better, but SJ isn't a slot guy and Graham isn't a starter IMO. Is there anyone here who wouldn't want TJ replaced by Stevie? Go back and look at SJs highlights on youtube, the guy has a real knack at winning those sideline pass battles. Is he a deep threat like Green or Megatron, no, but is it worth chasing that kind of a player who might not even be there in this draft and missing out on a possible monster defensive player in the 1st round?

No to the WR but TJ has shown nothing but speed & inconsistency i think he needs to go SJ needs to go back out side with Woods opposite him & Goodwin be the guy to give those 2 a blow from time to time.

They brought back Kaufman he needs to be put in the slot with all the traffic over the middle he would be a easy target OR use him in red zone packages .

In the draft bring in another late round prospect . I didn't see the TJ Graham thing coming & don't know how Nix & company thought he was a better pick in the 3rd round with R Wilson sitting there ? But hey that's been the Bills MO for years hopefully Whaley will change all that !! As long as Brandon doesn't think he's Mr Football :sick: !!

QB play was not so good half the season and he had a down year. I would expect to see SJ13 moved around quite a bit.With Woods n flash-Goodwin having a year under their belts the 3 could be moved around. I think Woods will b a stud and Goodwin showed he his not just speed. The end of the season he would run n catch the short n intermediate stuff as well as the long ball.

SJ is an unconventional WR, and I think his multiple moves confused EJ. They had no time to get used to each other due to injuries, and Stevie takes getting used to. (For QBs and fans.) Stevie and Fitz (and Gailey) had it down, but it took a lot of practice sessions to get there.

kj