Playoff games having trouble Selling Out

I wonder at what point, if any, the NFL steps in due to player and/or fan safety.

Sure makes a case against northern teams without domed stadiums. Then again, where is the SB after this being played? ;)

The NFL has been abusing its fans for years, and the consequences are being felt this week in GB and Cincinnati. It's all about TV revenue, and the fans who attend the games pay the price. The season used to start on Labor Day weekend and conclude at or before Christmas, and the playoffs were over by mid-January. The number of outdoor games being played in Northern cities in November, December and January is now at an all-time high and the problem is compounded by fact that many of those games, especially playoff games are played at night, when the temperatures are even lower. When you are talking about temperatures below 25 degrees--not to mention snow and ice--it becomes an issue of fan safety, player safety and the integrity of the game. When games are played under extreme conditions, the game is no longer the same. There is nothing inherent about football that makes it a cold-weather sport. As much as we might enjoy watching the occasional snow game on TV, like the Eagles-Lions game this year, is that really how we want playoff games to be decided? There are some simple solutions to this problem, especially in the regular season. It would be easy to give Northern outdoor teams more home games early in the season and arrange the schedule to avoid night games in December in places like Green Bay and Chicago. Some people would claim that this might give some teams an unfair advantage, but I don't see it. I believe the current system is far worse and playing the Super Bowl in NJ in February is just the icing on the cake. Of course, it's unlikely that any of this will change because that might cost the owners a couple bucks, even if it does protect players, fans and the competitive integrity of the NFL.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has been abusing its fans for years, and the consequences are being felt this week in GB and Cincinnati. It's all about TV revenue, and the fans who attend the games pay the price. The season used to start on Labor Day weekend and conclude at or before Christmas, and the playoffs were over by mid-January. The number of outdoor games being played in Northern cities in November, December and January is now at an all-time high and the problem is compounded by fact that many of those games, especially playoff games are played at night, when the temperatures are even lower. When you are talking about temperatures below 25 degrees--not to mention snow and ice--it becomes an issue of fan safety, player safety and the integrity of the game. When games are played under extreme conditions, the game is no longer the same. There is nothing inherent about football that makes it a cold-weather sport. As much as we might enjoy watching the occasional snow game on TV, like the Eagles-Lions game this year, is that really how we want playoff games to be decided? There are some simple solutions to this problem, especially in the regular season. It would be easy to give Northern outdoor teams more home games early in the season and arrange the schedule to avoid night games in December in places like Green Bay and Chicago. Some people would claim that this might give some teams an unfair advantage, but I don't see it. I believe the current system is far worse and playing the Super Bowl in NJ in February is just the icing on the cake. Of course, it's unlikely that any of this will change because that might cost the owners a couple bucks, even if it does protect players, fans and the competitive integrity of the NFL.

The resgular season ended 4 days after Christmas. The weather patterns in the northeast and midwest don't change drastically in those 4 days....

How will changing the venues of December regular season games change how "playoff games are decided"? Obviously not at all. So what are you left with, "safety issues" regarding any cold weather game in December? What have been the safety isssues in these games in December--ever?

A snowstorm comes through the northern half of the country in the first week of January (which could have as easily come in mid December) and you rant about the NFL and "money". The NFL isn't getting paid more money to have a SB in NJ. Nor will moving regular season games around "cost the owners a couple of bucks". The TV contracts are payed for for years going forward.

For the record, I think the choice of any open air stadium in the northern half of the country to host a SB is a dumb idea. Tons of empty seats don't look good when you are showcasing your signature event.

The resgular season ended 4 days after Christmas. The weather patterns in the northeast and midwest don't change drastically in those 4 days....

How will changing the venues of December regular season games change how "playoff games are decided"? Obviously not at all. So what are you left with, "safety issues" regarding any cold weather game in December? What have been the safety isssues in these games in December--ever?

A snowstorm comes through the northern half of the country in the first week of January (which could have as easily come in mid December) and you rant about the NFL and "money". The NFL isn't getting paid more money to have a SB in NJ. Nor will moving regular season games around "cost the owners a couple of bucks". The TV contracts are payed for for years going forward.

For the record, I think the choice of any open air stadium in the northern half of the country to host a SB is a dumb idea. Tons of empty seats don't look good when you are showcasing your signature event.

With the addition of the bye week and pushing the regular season start back to the weekend after Labor Day, the regular season has been extended two weeks longer into December. That makes a difference. There is absolutely no reason the regular season games could not be changed so that, for example, the Bills' home game against Miami is always in the first half of the season and the away game is always in November of December. It might even help attendance. With regard to playoff games, I don't know what the solution is, other than playing games in places like Green Bay and Foxboro during the daytime instead of at night.

With the addition of the bye week and pushing the regular season start back to the weekend after Labor Day, the regular season has been extended two weeks longer into December. That makes a difference. There is absolutely no reason the regular season games could not be changed so that, for example, the Bills' home game against Miami is always in the first half of the season and the away game is always in November of December. It might even help attendance. With regard to playoff games, I don't know what the solution is, other than playing games in places like Green Bay and Foxboro during the daytime instead of at night.

How about starting the season a month earlier.

The cold weather isn't keeping the Bills fans out of the stands in December. NE sells out December home games routinely. So does Green Bay. Why would the cold be a concern? Because an unusually cold front came through during this wild card week?

What if the Bills were actually fighting for a wild card spot, or, better yet, a bye or home field advantage in week 17. You would never want that game played in Buffalo--because it might be colder than usual that day?? I bet that game would sell out in seconds if it was to happen next season.