Dennis Dixon Question

Ennjay

Because as a 3rd stringer he wasn't active enough games any given season, or cumulatively in his career in order to exhaust his eligibility

And this is his final year of eligibility on the practice squad. A player can be on the practice squad for one year.

There are many OL in this league who will be on a 53 man roster for 2-3 years, never activated but a few times then get practiced squad-ed for another season or two after the first team or teams realized he was a project.

There was a Bills OL a few years ago that either had this happen to him joining the Bills or went on to someone else and roster for the remainder of the season. The following year they were PS'd

Because as a 3rd stringer he wasn't active enough games any given season, or cumulatively in his career in order to exhaust his eligibility

Thanks but does anyone know what the PS limits are? The PR about signing him as a future/reserve says he's in his FIFTH year, which I thought put him way beyond PS eligibility.

The bigger question: why is he still here? And if he does have talent, is it less than Thad's or Tuel?

Thad wouldn't be eligible, and they clearly didnt want to expose tuel. If Thad went on IR fast after ej was hurt I think Dixon likely would've leapfrogged tuel, similar to Thad earlier. They just REALLY don't want to waive tuel to put him on the PS

Thanks but does anyone know what the PS limits are? The PR about signing him as a future/reserve says he's in his FIFTH year, which I thought put him way beyond PS eligibility.

It's nothing to do with seasons since being drafted it's games active in either a season or career (2 seperate benchmarks). Google it - it pops up immediately if you want exact numbers. He's been active very few times since a 3rd qb can enter the game in emergency without taking up a active slot on gameday

Edited by NoSaint

Thad wouldn't be eligible, and they clearly didnt want to expose tuel. If Thad went on IR fast after ej was hurt I think Dixon likely would've leapfrogged tuel, similar to Thad earlier. They just REALLY don't want to waive tuel to put him on the PS

It's nothing to do with seasons in the nfl it's games active in either a season or career (2 seperate benchmarks). Google it - it pops up immediately if you want exact numbers.

Tuel will likely be PS'd next year, no reason not to.

8 players per scout team/PS

It's Wikipedia, but yeah...anyway. His first seasons with Pittsburgh he was the inactive QB. Most teams do not activate their 3rd QB on game day and only allow 46 players to suit. The Wildcat came in to play at that time as the NFL allowed the player designated "emergency" QB/3rd QB (even if he wasn't a QB in true definition) to enter the game as long as the starting QB was on the field at the same time.

During the Pittsburgh time he did not achieve enough time as an active NFL player and was only a rostered player.

Tuel will likely be PS'd next year, no reason not to.

8 players per scout team/PS

It's Wikipedia, but yeah...anyway. His first seasons with Pittsburgh he was the inactive QB. Most teams do not activate their 3rd QB on game day and only allow 46 players to suit. The Wildcat came in to play at that time as the NFL allowed the player designated "emergency" QB/3rd QB (even if he wasn't a QB in true definition) to enter the game as long as the starting QB was on the field at the same time.

During the Pittsburgh time he did not achieve enough time as an active NFL player and was only a rostered player.

I think its 6 games active in one season to accrue a season and no longer be eligible. EJ being out the last two weeks may have exhausted Tuels eligibility. Those two, plus the month earlier this year.

I think its 6 games active in one season to accrue a season and no longer be eligible. EJ being out the last two weeks may have exhausted Tuels eligibility. Those two, plus the month earlier this year.

I believe you're right, I didn't keep track of when Tuel was eligible and not. He was injured one game, or at least listed as injured - not sure if this kept him off the game day or not.

If you get 3 accrued seasons you become a vested NFL player. That is why a lot of teams will not keep guys who begin to show a little promise after a year on the PS and a few years active - they're not worth it because of age and becoming vested.

I believe you're right, I didn't keep track of when Tuel was eligible and not. He was injured one game, or at least listed as injured - not sure if this kept him off the game day or not.

If you get 3 accrued seasons you become a vested NFL player. That is why a lot of teams will not keep guys who begin to show a little promise after a year on the PS and a few years active - they're not worth it because of age and becoming vested.

Plus minimum salaries go up with accrued seasons