EMPIRE - How Depressing!

Tom

They won't see a day in jail.......you watch they'll avoid jail.  <_<

:huh: Unfortunately, you are probably right.......... :D

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: DICKHEAD RIGAS FAMILY!!!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Scumbag Rigas Family, I hope they rot in jail! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

211745[/snapback]

I can't tell you how happy I was when I first got DTV. I'm stuck in pasty land and to find Fan TV, it was like hitting the lottery. Empire may never have been as glossy as ESPN but for me it was a window to my old home and my favorite team.

Rigas & Adelphia :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

It used to be great to watch their postgame show. When I think back to 25 years ago (when I moved away from Buffalo), there was no directv or Empire accessibility. If your area did not carry the Bills game you were really out of touch. I remember many times being on the phone with my Dad with him giving me a play by play at the end of each game. My Dad would fax me Bills articles throughout the week.

Sorry to see Empire go, but be thankful for Directv, the Internet and the fact that newspapers (Buffalo News) are accessible via the internet.

These things, along with Two Bills Drive are wondrous tools for us

"out of towners" to follow and analyze our team. I am very thankful for these things. So, sorry to see Empire go, but we have it a lot better than just a few years ago.

It was especially sad to see what had become of Empire recently. The lack of a weekend sportscast and no Bills post game show really sucked. When Howard Simon left you knew it was only a matter of time before they pulled the plug. For an out of towner, Empire Sports in it's prime was a great way to keep up with the Bills and Sabres. I used to really enjoy their training camp coverage. Other than Jim Brinson (the talking toupe), I liked the sportscasters and all the players shows during the week. Even Art Wander was hoot!

Empre Sports RIP <_<

I remember many times being on the phone with my Dad with him giving me a play by play at the end of each game. My Dad would fax me Bills articles throughout the week.

211774[/snapback]

Wow, someone out there did the same as me?

I agree...we have it so great now.

Does anybody know if we'll be able to get Sabres Games with The Center Ice Package when the NHL resumes play? I wasn't sure how they would broadcast NYRanger games and Sabres Games? If I do not have Satellite, am I S.O.L??

211877[/snapback]

in the past with center ice you got to see all sabres games, sometimes you didnt get the empire feed but other feed depending on who owned rights etc. This is of course for those outside of Empires local viewing area, if you are inside Empire area used to get all Sabres games even without center ice.

The Rigases will spend lots of time in jail. No way you get convicted on 18 felonies in federal court and don't do time. Sentencing is on February 25th. Maybe EMPIRE will get to carry it live as their last hurrah. Rigas & sons were nothing but a bunch of freaking scumbags.

The Rigases will spend lots of time in jail. No way you get convicted on 18 felonies in federal court and don't do time. Sentencing is on February 25th. Maybe EMPIRE  will get to carry it live as their last hurrah. Rigas & sons were nothing but a bunch of freaking scumbags.

211902[/snapback]

The sons more so than the old man.

Particularly upsetting to me today. I used to shadow at empire when I was in High School. I worked along side of Howard Simon, Mike Degeorge, Art Wander, and Jim Brinson when fan TV was on the air. These guys were the most helpful and nice guys you would ever hope to meet. As a broadcasting major, you hear horror stories of how nasty the business is, but they were as friendly as they appear on the air.

I will miss the informative and entertaining things done by Empire as it reached its height, but I view the turn of events announced today as a good thing. Perhaps it is the Pollyanna in me which finds life to brutal to merely accept the lemons it gives you to not try to make lemonade. However, I agree also that with the demise of the coverage of scrimmages, the end of the post-game rant or victory celebration opportunites, the Simoncast and even the Simon/Brinson effort ESN was a mere husk of its former self.

The demise of Empire/WNSA leaves a vaccuum in the Buffalo sports coverage scene. Nature abhors a vacuum. WGR and the national football sports shows leave an opportunity for someone else to try to enter the Empire vacuum and make some bucks.

It will be tough. Empire has the advantage ofthe built in Sabres tie-in to fill the massive newshole with a professional sports supplement since though the Bills are loved, it isn't all year and its hard to do all football all the time except on Sundays. It also had the cash cow of Rigas using the public as a cash card til he got caught.

Yet, even if this town may not be able to support 2 sports radion stations, WGR is so half-baked often that if there are 1- 1/2 efforts in town GR can easily end up being the half and there is simply no local primarily sports focused cable or TV effort.

Even the lock-out is quite timely as though MSG clearly has an inside track on the Sabres, it seems unlikely a deal will be done while things are so uncertain providing organizing time for any enterprisers who want to try to build in hockey as a supplement to the Bills coverage which will carry an effort.

It may not happen because even if there is money to be made (as Howard Simon and others showed) it may be easier to make bucks clear-cutting hardwood trees or sucking off the government teat getting massive rents to warehouse folks in public housing or subsidies for building roads into national forests to take out trees to sale as timberto Japan.

Yet, I see this as a possibility for things to get better which was not going to happen as long as ESN occupied space as it slowly went down the toilet. I think entrepreneur will probably be a crazy enough sports fan to try to do something. I just hope in addition to being crazy they also turn out to be good at TV and damn lucky. if so we will all profit.

It may not happen because even if there is money to be made (as Howard Simon and others showed) it may be easier to make bucks clear-cutting hardwood trees or sucking off the government teat getting massive rents to warehouse folks in public housing or subsidies for building roads into national forests to take out trees to sale as timberto Japan.

211990[/snapback]

Woah. Put down that funny looking pipe. Slowly.

Particularly upsetting to me today.  I used to shadow at empire when I was in High School.  I worked along side of Howard Simon, Mike Degeorge, Art Wander, and Jim Brinson when fan TV was on the air.  These guys were the most helpful and nice guys you would ever hope to meet.  As a broadcasting major, you hear horror stories of how nasty the business is, but they were as friendly as they appear on the air.

211973[/snapback]

Dude did you get to walk Brinson when you helped out there?

Yet, I see this as a possibility for things to get better which was not going to happen as long as ESN occupied space as it slowly went down the toilet.  I think entrepreneur will probably be a crazy enough sports fan to try to do something. I just hope in addition to being crazy they also turn out to be good at TV and damn lucky.  if so we will all profit.

I'm not sure what you said but it sounds like it could be positive? :D