My wish list feel free to add

billsfan_34

Here's my offseason checklist:

Bills Free Agents (all predicated on each player agreeing to these things):

1) Re-sign Byrd. It's a must. He's a stud and a top-3 FS in the league, so pay him like one.

2) Re-sign Carrington for a low guarantee, incentive laden deal.

3) Chandler, eh..whatever. If he dies, he dies.

Positions to fill in free-agency:

1) Bring in a Guard. Doesn't have to be an All-Pro, but someone who's average or slightly better. Just better than what we have.

2) Target Hakeem Nicks if he becomes available. He's young, productive, and exactly what Buffalo needs in terms of size. He's been hurt, but we have to take some risks.

3) Bring in a linebacker for depth.

4) Possibly a veteran QB backup. I think Thad is ok and wouldn't be disgusted if they went into the season with him as backup, but there's room for improvement.

Draft:

1) Gotta focus on offense, early. I think we need another big WR, no matter what we do in FA. Not sure if I like the guys at the top of the first round for that, but in the first few rounds try and get a big WR.

2) Also in Round 2 or 3 target a high-upside QB. If Mettenberger or someone like that falls in Round 2 or 3 to Buffalo, he'd be a good insurance policy for EJ.

3) Get some Oline depth in Rounds 3 - 5. (not all the rounds, just get a guy somewhere in there).

Edited by dubs

Here's my offseason checklist:

Bills Free Agents (all predicated on each player agreeing to these things):

1) Re-sign Byrd. It's a must. He's a stud and a top-3 FS in the league, so pay him like one.

2) Re-sign Carrington for a low guarantee, incentive laden deal.

3) Chandler, eh..whatever. If he dies, he dies.

Positions to fill in free-agency:

1) Bring in a Guard. Doesn't have to be an All-Pro, but someone who's average or slightly better. Just better than what we have.

2) Target Hakeem Nicks if he becomes available. He's young, productive, and exactly what Buffalo needs in terms of size. He's been hurt, but we have to take some risks.

3) Bring in a linebacker for depth.

4) Possibly a veteran QB backup. I think Thad is ok and wouldn't be disgusted if they went into the season with him as backup, but there's room for improvement.

Draft:

1) Gotta focus on offense, early. I think we need another big WR, no matter what we do in FA. Not sure if I like the guys at the top of the first round for that, but in the first few rounds try and get a big WR.

2) Also in Round 2 or 3 target a high-upside QB. If Mecklenberger or someone like that falls in Round 2 or 3 to Buffalo, he'd be a good insurance policy for EJ.

3) Get some Oline depth in Rounds 3 - 5. (not all the rounds, just get a guy somewhere in there).

I'd like a big, fast, bruising Dez-Bryant-class wideout. I keep watching other teams' WRs going up for jump balls and winning.

I'd like a big, fast, bruising Dez-Bryant-class wideout. I keep watching other teams' WRs going up for jump balls and winning.

Agreed! I left things off on my list so we could all have a little fun after an awful ending. Doom and gloom isnt going to get us anywhere.

Agreed! I left things off on my list so we could all have a little fun after an awful ending. Doom and gloom isnt going to get us anywhere.

I appreciate the post. It's been a long, dispiriting drought, but it is still fun to imagine a year when the pieces fall into place and we're back in. I want that as much for my hometown as for my team.

It feels like D line and secondary are okay. QB, OL (including TE) and receivers need a few key pieces, as does LB. Close...

Mark my words but we need to start looking around for a NT. Or at least a DT. We saw yesterday that average talent won't get it done on the DL and the Jets and Pats always have stout lines. KW is getting up there and could use someone effective to spell him. Therefore I believe finding a 34NT somewhere in FA would be worthwhile. Or even late in the draft - a 4-3 DT

I don't know the breakdown yet of how much we ran nickel and dime but having someone who can help us run a 34 on occasion and/or go in on short and run would help.

My list:

Cut / jettison

1) Graham - replaceable. Gets open, has poor hands

2) Danny Crossman - can't make tackles himself, but obviously doesn't have the guys prepared

3) one of Bradham or Moats - these guys need to go back to reserve roles

Demote:

1) one of Bradham or Moats - see above

FA / Draft

1) LB to replace Bradham

2) LG

3) early round LB to replace Moats

4) reserve swing Interior OL

5) Capable vet backup / prospect at QB - don't want to screw with the draft unless a guy like Murray falls. This position needs to be filled with either high ceiling young talent in case injury is an ongoing concern for EJ, or a vet who can keep the gears turning. I might try to outbid Chicago for Josh McCown as a stopgap vet, but it sounds like it might be Bears or retirement for him.

6) TE talent. Nuff said.

7) WR upgrade - tall jump ball catcher. A Dez-like talent is wishlist material, but not essential.

8) Yes to retaining Carrington, but also draft a raw or low-division talent in the later rounds to compete/ provide injury insurance on DL.

Mark my words but we need to start looking around for a NT. Or at least a DT. We saw yesterday that average talent won't get it done on the DL and the Jets and Pats always have stout lines. KW is getting up there and could use someone effective to spell him. Therefore I believe finding a 34NT somewhere in FA would be worthwhile. Or even late in the draft - a 4-3 DT

I don't know the breakdown yet of how much we ran nickel and dime but having someone who can help us run a 34 on occasion and/or go in on short and run would help.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't think it's that high of a priority.

This is such a passing league now, that stopping the run is less important that having a good pass defense. Here's some stats to consider:

Top 5 Rush Defenses in 2013 as measured by yards per carry:

1) Jets

2) Arizona

3) St. Louis

4) Philly

5) Baltimore

Only 1 playoff team there.

Now, top 5 Passing Defenses as rated by Opposing QB Rating:

1) Seattle

2) Cincy

3) Buffalo

4) San Fran

5) Miami

Three playoff teams there. I think the defense is in good shape, but definitely need to improve in all areas (to your point). Adding depth at D Tackle is never a bad thing.

• fire crossman
  • let Graham, Moats, Chandler go. (Moats and Chandler are UFAs, cut Graham).
  • Sign UFA Greg Olsen
  • Bring in a veteran or top three round pick QB to compete with Manuel.
  • Draft WR Sammy Watkins
  • Draft a LG (Zach Martin, Notre Dame?)
  • Draft a MLB
  • Bring in a veteran CB (Tracy Porter?)

On the fence about Byrd. Admittedly I don't what kind of an impact resigning him would have on other FA moves but if it means we could get more value from free agents by letting him go then it might be time to give the job to Searcy and hope it won't be that drastic of a drop off, although there obviously will be one.

Also down to resign Carrington. He will have little to no market value, other teams won't know who he is. Clearly we need all the run help we can get. I know that comes down mostly to our LBs but having him on the cheap can't possibly hurt.

Edited by bills1960

1st Sammy Watkins WR

1st Tiny Richardson OT (thru trade up)

3rd Xavier Su'a-Filo or Zach Martin OG

(btw, I think the Bills just acquired their TE of the future in Moeaki)

EJ Manuel would have no excuses in becoming the Bills franchise QB in his second year with a monster running game and the targets he'd have in the passing game.

I agree. I say we draft Louis Nix III from ND. He is 340lbs of awesome space eating goodness. I do not think you can find one like that anywhere else. Make run D a priority. Run and stop the run wins championships!

I agree. I say we draft Louis Nix III from ND. He is 340lbs of awesome space eating goodness. I do not think you can find one like that anywhere else. Make run D a priority. Run and stop the run wins championships!

I think that would be a mistake. I mean, I like Nix even though I still have nightmares of him getting demolished all day in the BCS title game last year. It's just that I don't think it's that important of a need for us.