Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And how many times should he have actually have made it? I clearly remember him saying he felt like he was the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL as he got no respect.

Probably more than 2? I really don't get the point. Is the point that the Bills did not adequately replace Levitre? If that is your point I completely agree with you. If the point is that the Bills should move one on the best LTs in the game (who is only in his 2nd year) to LG I think that it is insane.

Probably more than 2? I really don't get the point. Is the point that the Bills did not adequately replace Levitre? If that is your point I completely agree with you. If the point is that the Bills should move one on the best LTs in the game (who is only in his 2nd year) to LG I think that it is insane.

Yes, the Bills did not adequately replace Levitre. The point to this thread was from what I saw on NFLN earlier in the year, when Mike Mayock stated that he felt if the Bills moved Glenn to LG, he could easily be one of the best Guard's in the league. I was on the fence with that idea as Glenn has been a very solid LT for the Bills, but if the Bills drafted a LT in either rounds 1 or 2 (and not a 7th round or UDFA like they tried in years past and failed miserably with), would be it a good idea to make the switch? It's obvious that the majority of fans think it would be a bad idea, while some think it would be a good idea.

LOLZ

So, you think it's funny that one of the best LB's in Bills history only went to 2 probowls? I'm sure Darryl Talley wouldn't agree with your sense of humor!

Yes, the Bills did not adequately replace Levitre. The point to this thread was from what I saw on NFLN earlier in the year, when Mike Mayock stated that he felt if the Bills moved Glenn to LG, he could easily be one of the best Guard's in the league. I was on the fence with that idea as Glenn has been a very solid LT for the Bills, but if the Bills drafted a LT in either rounds 1 or 2 (and not a 7th round or UDFA like they tried in years past and failed miserably with), would be it a good idea to make the switch? It's obvious that the majority of fans think it would be a bad idea, while some think it would be a good idea.

So, you think it's funny that one of the best LB's in Bills history only went to 2 probowls? I'm sure Darryl Talley wouldn't agree with your sense of humor!

you continually bring up things and are proven wrong. Should he have went to more? possibly? but he did go to two. So your "popularity contest" rightfully awarded him 2 times

The whole clusterfork at LG is because the Bills overplayed their hand and had no Plan B when Levitre left. I would take a guard in late first or the second round. But in the meantime scour the FA list to see how we can upgrade the position.

Actually the whole cluster fork started when they overpaid the guys from Washington for LG and did not pay Peters what he was worth. Everything has been swirling in the bills toilet and the Levitre thing is just another reincarnation of their continuing screw ups

you continually bring up things and are proven wrong. Should he have went to more? possibly? but he did go to two. So your "popularity contest" rightfully awarded him 2 times

You're actually speaking about yourself in regards to bringing up things and being proved wrong (see post #54).

In regards to the probowl, a majority of fans on here felt Jason Peters went to more probowls than he deserved. In Talley's case, he should have went to many more probowls than he did. Did you watch the Bills during their 4 Superbowl runs?

You're actually speaking about yourself in regards to bringing up things and being proved wrong (see post #54).

In regards to the probowl, a majority of fans on here felt Jason Peters went to more probowls than he deserved. In Talley's case, he should have went to many more probowls than he did. Did you watch the Bills during their 4 Superbowl runs?

Nope too young to remember them.

Actually the whole cluster fork started when they overpaid the guys from Washington for LG and did not pay Peters what he was worth. Everything has been swirling in the bills toilet and the Levitre thing is just another reincarnation of their continuing screw ups

I agree. Levy & Co screwed that up big time.

Speaking of switching positions, Peters was an UDFA TE when the Bills signed him. The Bills used Peters as a backup TE and ST player at first until he was given a shot as an RT. Since Peters played RT very well, and the Bills had a need for a LT, the Bills tried him out at LT and the rest is history. Same can be said with Eric Wood. Wood was drafted by the Bills to be a Guard since they sign Geoff Hamandegger (Hangartner) as their Center. Once Gailey took over, he decided to have a competition between Wood & Hangartner to see who was better at the position. Wood turned out to be the better Center and he's been very solid ever since. Don't get me wrong, I understand the whole philosophy of "If it's not broke, don't fix it," but then again, wouldn't you want to put players in positions where they could be the most successful at? George Wilson is another example of a player that made a position switch (from WR to Safety) and was very successful.

Nope too young to remember them.

Too bad, it was a great time to be a Bills fan.

Switching positions sometimes woks out (like with George Wilson) but he was either the 7th WR or a backup Saftey. He was a good ST player that they wanted to keep around. Glenn is developing into a Pro Bowl LT. That is one of the most important and hardest to find positions. He absolutely should be at LT and hopefully for another 10-12 years.

You can find guards anywhere if you try. The Bills made a big mistake by taking the approach that they could just coach up some CFL scrubs. There are probably 80 guys that are NFL caliber guards in the league. Unfortunately the Bills only have 1. By the same token there are nowhere near that many NFL caliber LTs which is why they are so coveted.

Switching positions sometimes woks out (like with George Wilson) but he was either the 7th WR or a backup Saftey. He was a good ST player that they wanted to keep around. Glenn is developing into a Pro Bowl LT. That is one of the most important and hardest to find positions. He absolutely should be at LT and hopefully for another 10-12 years.

You can find guards anywhere if you try. The Bills made a big mistake by taking the approach that they could just coach up some CFL scrubs. There are probably 80 guys that are NFL caliber guards in the league. Unfortunately the Bills only have 1. By the same token there are nowhere near that many NFL caliber LTs which is why they are so coveted.

Eric Wood was a 1st round draft pick and was used as a RG, which he was good at (but not great). Once Wood was switched to Center, he's been a better Center than he was at being a RG. I know what you're saying about LT's as the Bills haven't had much success with LT's over the past 15-20 years. Now that Glenn has 2 years as being the Bills LT, will Marrone & Co make the switch...I highly doubt it.

Eric Wood was a 1st round draft pick and was used as a RG, which he was good at (but not great). Once Wood was switched to Center, he's been a better Center than he was at being a RG. I know what you're saying about LT's as the Bills haven't had much success with LT's over the past 15-20 years. Now that Glenn has 2 years as being the Bills LT, will Marrone & Co make the switch...I highly doubt it.

Wood was projected as one of the top 2 centers in the draft. He was always intended to play there (I think that Mack in Cleveland was the other 1st round center that year). You move talented guys to the most important positions on the line LT-C-RT-LG-RG in that order (IMO) not away from those positions. You do not take someone playing really well at the most important position on the line and move him to the 4th most important position. It just doesn't work that way.

Wood was projected as one of the top 2 centers in the draft. He was always intended to play there (I think that Mack in Cleveland was the other 1st round center that year). You move talented guys to the most important positions on the line LT-C-RT-LG-RG in that order (IMO) not away from those positions. You do not take someone playing really well at the most important position on the line and move him to the 4th most important position. It just doesn't work that way.

I always believe you put a player in the position where he can be the most successful. JJ Watt is a former TE, but he's much more successful at being a DT.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I always believe you put a player in the position where he can be the most successful. JJ Watt is a former TE, but he's much more successful at being a DT.

It is a matter of the importance of the position. Someone used the Tannehill example above and it made sense. You would never move a decent QB to WR because he could be above average there. The positions are not of equal importance. A pass rusher (Watt) is much more valuable than a TE. You will see by franchise tag numbers that some positions are just more valuable. A LT is certainly more valuable than a LG.

If the situation was reversed and Glenn was at LG and they struggled at LT then you would certainly make the switch. You move people into the most important positions when you struggle there. You never move someone good from a crucial position into a less important spot.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Keep Glenn at LT. Draft the best Tackle in rd 1 and put him at LT. Bring in a FA G that could at least start on Pittsburgh's miserable OL in 2012, not someone that could not. Draft a G in RD three and forget about the Oline for a few years. Find a WR in Rd 2 and get D and TE help in FA.

Keep Glenn at LT. Draft the best Tackle in rd 1 and put him at LT. Bring in a FA G that could at least start on Pittsburgh's miserable OL in 2012, not someone that could not. Draft a G in RD three and forget about the Oline for a few years. Find a WR in Rd 2 and get D and TE help in FA.

Dude, you're scaring with me with that rationale.

keeping that left tackle he only gets better every week. And draft the kid from Baylor Richards.

His name is Richardson, and he'll probably go in the mid-late first round. Unless we end up trading down- which I always believe is worth doing- I'd love to swing a deal down to the 13th-16th spot and pick up an extra second and fourth- he won't be in our range.

Edited by ny33

We all know the LG position is a big area of need this offseason as the Bills haven't had good play from that spot all year. Instead of drafting a LG or signing one in free agency, should the Bills switch Glenn to LG and draft a LT in the early rounds of the draft? This is not to say that Glenn hasn't been doing a good job at LT. Earlier in the year on NFLN, Mike Mayock stated that he feels with Glenn's size, that if he made the transition to LG, that he could easily be a probowl guard. Your thoughts?

Good left tackles are much harder to find then guards which is why you see tackles drafted in the top 5 picks a lot but almost never a guard...can easily get a good guard in the mid rounds, 4 or 5 and have him start from day 1

It is a matter of the importance of the position. Someone used the Tannehill example above and it made sense. You would never move a decent QB to WR because he could be above average there. The positions are not of equal importance. A pass rusher (Watt) is much more valuable than a TE. You will see by franchise tag numbers that some positions are just more valuable. A LT is certainly more valuable than a LG.

If the situation was reversed and Glenn was at LG and they struggled at LT then you would certainly make the switch. You move people into the most important positions when you struggle there. You never move someone good from a crucial position into a less important spot.

I disagree to some extent. Graham and Gronkowski are just valuable as, if not more valuable than, Watt.