possable backup QB (crazy idea)

ch19079

harrington will be a good QB

211172[/snapback]

i think the same thing. which is why im trying to believe this little crazy idea. i have high hopes for JP, but if it is not working in 2 years. i would like to have harrington on the team to step in, insted of a former fins QB, or a QB who is also a grandfather.....

If Bledsoe is cut, I would not take Harrington.

First of all, I do not think that Harrington is going anywhere. Granted this upcoming season might be Harrington's make or break season, but the Lions would be fools to just cut him this offseason.

Also, if Harrington were to be cut, I think there is no way in hell that he would want to go to Buffalo, when there is a young QB in Losman who is being prepped as the future of the Bills. Harrington would want to go to a team where he knows he is the starter for years to come.

Fiedler would be a disaster at Rich from mid-October on. He's injury prone and the number of hits he's taken over the years has affected his decision making. Pass.

Harrington is intriguing but he'll likely be back in Detroit. If not, signing him would lead to another RJ/Flutie mess once one of them is the starter and has the inevitable bad stretch. Pass.

Fiedler would be a disaster at Rich from mid-October on.  He's injury prone and the number of hits he's taken over the years has affected his decision making.  Pass.

Harrington is intriguing but he'll likely be back in Detroit.  If not, signing him would lead to another RJ/Flutie mess once one of them is the starter and has the inevitable bad stretch.  Pass.

211410[/snapback]

Face it. What backup is considered real good ? People mention Mike McMahon, who completely blew his opportunity in Detroit, or Todd Bouman or other fodder, like these guys are actually good.

This just in. They're not. Few teams have a good backup. So find someone with experience that won't make the killer mistakes and hope for the best.

I just don't see Bledsoe as a backup here. He wouldn't accept it.

Face it. What backup is considered real good ?  People mention Mike McMahon, who completely blew his opportunity in Detroit, or Todd Bouman or other fodder, like these guys are actually good.

This just in. They're not. Few teams have a good backup. So find someone with experience that won't make the killer mistakes and hope for the best.

I just don't see Bledsoe as a backup here. He wouldn't accept it.

211658[/snapback]

I may be wrong, but if Bledsoe wants to play, what other team would promise him a starting job? I can't think of any, except maybe Clevland if Crennel is the new head coach. I am not sure what his and Bledsoes' relationship is. I think Bledsoe is back in 2005, in a dog fight for his job. He doesn't have any better options...

Fiedler would be a disaster at Rich from mid-October on.  He's injury prone and the number of hits he's taken over the years has affected his decision making.  Pass.

Harrington is intriguing but he'll likely be back in Detroit.  If not, signing him would lead to another RJ/Flutie mess once one of them is the starter and has the inevitable bad stretch.  Pass.

211410[/snapback]

Yep, we need a veteran back-up QB who has had some measure of success, but who will be able to accept his role.

Harrington would only want to be a starter or would only come in to a situation where he can compete for the starting job IF Detroit lets him go.

I actually don't mind the Fiedler talk as a back up. But why all this talk of a new back up - has anyone confirmed Drew is out the door or is this just wishful thinking on the part of some posters? :huh:

Anyway, Rob Johnson is still available. I'm sure his past year's sabbatical has really re-kindled his killer instinct. <_<

Count me as one who would take Jay Fiedler as a back-up!!!  For those of you who have actually watched him play, he is in the mold of a Trent Dilfer.  By that I mean that he will not outright win you games nor will he outright lose you games.  He does what needs to be done...no more, no less.  He does not commit the critical mistakes that cost you games.

211054[/snapback]

You're half right: he won't win you the game.

Harrington would only want to be a starter or would only come in to a situation where he can compete for the starting job IF Detroit lets him go.

I actually don't mind the Fiedler talk as a back up. But why all this talk of a new back up - has anyone confirmed Drew is out the door or is this just wishful thinking on the part of some posters?  :huh:

Anyway, Rob Johnson is still available. I'm sure his past year's sabbatical has really re-kindled his killer instinct.  <_<

211846[/snapback]

It's just wishfuil/hopeful thinking based on the set-up (meaning probably true, but alot has to happen before it goes either way in result) rumor Mort started and refused to expand upon in an ESPN Q&A session.

TD won't cut DB, due to the cap ramifications but TD couldl restructure his contract to be more cap friendly, thus creating space to sign Phat Pat or Jennings

Bringing in Harrington would likely damage JP's morale and confidence. So, it would be pointless to bring in a young QB to challenge him, instead an established older QB would be the better solution. Since we have one of those QB's in DB it would be unneccessary to get another such QB