Henry's coments hav me salivating bout possibility

I think many TSW posters have really missed the boat in their interpretation of Travis Henry's comments in a West Palm newspaper.

The deal here (nor were his comments) about whether he has produced numbers which make him a top 5, top 15 or top whatever NFL RB.

The deal here is whether the Fins in their desperation to move past the Rickey Wliiams episode will be so desirous of getting a former Pro Bowl young RB with a year left on his contract that they are willing to give up good trade value for him.

I think things are setting up nicely for that to be the case and I think Travis's comments will be a nice part of making this so.

Again so this not buried in one of the many threads which take a non-Bills cut on these comments, I think that the model for considering getting the best value we can for Henry is the way things went down with AT for Peerless.

Among the key elements in that trade were:

1. AT expresses some vague interest in PP once he hits the market.

2. PP expresses strong interest in going AT.

3. The AT media and football pundits express a strong interest in PP being the answer for their team to put their investment in Vick over the top.

4. Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcs makes what I feel were bad business comments in essentially promising the AT fans he would give the value necessary to get Peerless for Vick and TD tagged PP to make giving up a 1st rounder (who later actually became WM) what was necessary to get him.

As far as Henry in Miami:

1. TD did a great job by allowing and empowering Trsvis's agent to go solicit interest in a trade and the agent has publicly Miami as being intetrested and they have neither denied or poo-pooed it publicly yet (if i were them I would if only to suppress what I have to give up for Henry).

2. Henry did a great job for the Bills if this deal goes through by espressing strong interest in going to the Fins and moving his stuff there.

3. Certainly the situatiion is set up for Miami to not only need an RB (I think they already have said someone of L Girdon talent was worth a 3rd) but they have both sports and business reasons to get beyond the Rickey Williams era (error). If pundits start talking specifically about a former Pro Bowler Henry filling this role life will be very good.

4. Whike i don't expect Nick Saban or someone high in the Fins hierarchy to deliver a gift to us like the one Blank gave the Bills actually we had the right to nothing for the FA PP and getting value for former Pro Bowler Henry with a year left on his contact is less of an extraordinary gift.

I folks could suspend their fantasy league tendencies for moment and not get sidetracked into arguing about whether Henry is a top 5, top 15, or top 32 RB (his numbers were certainly worst than than that last year and even Henry acknowledges this) but instead analyze what the Bills need to rob yet another tade partner the way we robbed AT then it begins to make some sense.

Who cares whether we get some fanatasy league 2nd roun picks for Henry even that level is likely garbage in my book. Deing a future is now kind of guy, if you gave me even a so-so starting TE for Henry I would be happy to get this player because I figure it is a year and a half post injury before Campbell/Euhus return to their pre-injury form after their knee blow-outs.

The thing which makes me salivate after seeing Henry's perfect comments in the West Palm paper is that Miami does not have a second rounder to give and already has parted with draft resources for the failed starting RB Gordon. My own fantasy would be to get McMichael from Miami which would bridge the TE gap nicely for us.

I loved Travis comments in the paper today. I think they can be used to help the Bills immensely. I hope we make it so.

I think many TSW posters have really missed the boat in their interpretation of Travis Henry's comments in a West Palm newspaper.

The deal here (nor were his comments) about whether he has produced numbers which make him a top 5, top 15 or top whatever NFL RB.

The deal here is whether the Fins in their desperation to move past the Rickey Wliiams episode will be so desirous of getting a former Pro Bowl young RB with a year left on his contract that they are willing to give up good trade value for him.

I think things are setting up nicely for that to be the case and I think Travis's comments will be a nice part of making this so.

Again so this not buried in one of the many threads which take a non-Bills cut on these comments, I think that the model for considering getting the best value we can for Henry is the way things went down with AT for Peerless.

Among the key elements in that trade were:

1. AT expresses some vague interest in PP once he hits the market.

2. PP expresses strong interest in going AT.

3. The AT media and football pundits express a strong interest in PP being the answer for their team to put their investment in Vick over the top.

4. Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcs makes what I feel were bad business comments in essentially promising the AT fans he would give the value necessary to get Peerless for Vick and TD tagged PP to make giving up a 1st rounder (who later actually became WM) what was necessary to get him.

As far as Henry in Miami:

1. TD did a great job by allowing and empowering Trsvis's agent to go solicit interest in a trade and the agent has publicly Miami as being intetrested and they have neither denied or poo-pooed it publicly yet (if i were them I would if only to suppress what I have to give up for Henry).

2. Henry did a great job for the Bills if this deal goes through by espressing strong interest in going to the Fins and moving his stuff there.

3. Certainly the situatiion is set up for Miami to not only need an RB (I think they already have said someone of L Girdon talent was worth a 3rd) but they have both sports and business reasons to get beyond the Rickey Williams era (error).  If pundits start talking specifically about a former Pro Bowler Henry filling this role life will be very good.

4. Whike i don't expect Nick Saban or someone high in the Fins hierarchy to deliver a gift to us like the one Blank gave the Bills actually we had the right to nothing for the FA PP and getting value for former Pro Bowler Henry with a year left on his contact is less of an extraordinary gift.

I folks could suspend their fantasy league tendencies for moment and not get sidetracked into arguing about whether Henry is a top 5, top 15, or top 32 RB (his numbers were certainly worst than than that last year and even Henry acknowledges this) but instead analyze what the Bills need to rob yet another tade partner the way we robbed AT then it begins to make some sense.

Who cares whether we get some fanatasy league 2nd roun picks for Henry even that level is likely garbage in my book.  Deing a future is now kind of guy, if you gave me even a so-so starting TE for Henry I would be happy to get this player because I figure it is a year and a half post injury before Campbell/Euhus return to their pre-injury form after their knee blow-outs.

The thing which makes me salivate after seeing Henry's perfect comments in the West Palm paper is that Miami does not have a second rounder to give and already has parted with draft resources for the failed starting RB Gordon.  My own fantasy would be to get McMichael from Miami which would bridge the TE gap nicely for us.

I loved Travis comments in the paper today. I think they can be used to help the Bills immensely.  I hope we make it so.

210016[/snapback]

I would take a second rounder from most teams for TH, however if the Phins want him I would only take a 1st rounder......this year's first round pick!!

Travis could end up giving something back, but it all depends on how the chips fall. He's cheap for one more year, so that should work in our favor, but not be a huge factor IMO. James may be the key to how things unfold. He also may desire to play in Miami. Who would you prefer? James can run and catch, don't know about his blocking, but even assuming he can't he has one dimension that Travis does not.

James going to Miami would just shift the focus. Indy would then need a team and so forth and so forth. I have to admit, I am more optimistic about getting a 2 for TH than I was yesterday.

Tennesee hasn't been mentioned, but that could be a natural. Are they happy with Brown? Throw in Seattle and Arizona, possibly 49ers and things could very well work out well for us.

Color me cautiously optimistic but not rose colored!

I would take a second rounder from most teams for TH, however if the Phins want him I would only take a 1st rounder......this year's first round pick!!

210040[/snapback]

wonder if the phins would take TH and our 2nd (#50ish) for the #2 overall (which we would prolly trade down from)

I just really don't have an interest in a top-5 pick this year. We don't need a QB, and I don't think there's much value except for running back there. We need a lot more roleplayers and depth than we need a new super-star: Guard, Tight End, Nickelback, slot receiver. Unless Miami's top pick turns into a 2006 #1 and a bucket of 2nd-day 2005ers, I'm not too enthused.

Miami's 2nd round pick would be the right deal for anyone BESIDES the Dolphins, it's over-value, but I think we could swindle it (3rd rounder for Lamar Gordon, 1st for Price)

Miami's 2nd round pick would be the right deal for anyone BESIDES the Dolphins, it's over-value, but I think we could swindle it (3rd rounder for Lamar Gordon, 1st for Price)

210239[/snapback]

too bad miami doesn't have a 2nd rounder. traded it for AJ Feely

210016[/snapback]

One problem with using the PP formula on Travis is that Henry is not a free agent --Peerless was

Why would the Dolphins give up the No. 2 overall pick for Travis??? I hate Miami as much as the next guy, but Saban isn't stupid. In Travis' current condition he's worth maybe a late 2nd round or high 3rd round pick at most.

I say forget Miami and send Travis to Tampa or Oakland for a 2nd rounder instead ---they both have high picks.

One problem with using the PP formula on Travis is that Henry is not a free agent --Peerless was

Why would the Dolphins give up the No. 2 overall pick for Travis??? I hate Miami as much as the next guy, but Saban isn't stupid. In Travis' current condition he's worth maybe a late 2nd round or high 3rd round pick at most.

I say forget Miami and send Travis to Tampa or Oakland for a 2nd rounder instead ---they both have high picks.

210256[/snapback]

I think that the fact Henry is under contract makes him far easier for the Bills to trade than Peerless as an FA.

The Bills were scheduled to recieve and were owed nothing for Peerless as an FA, but, we have Travis under contract for another year and TD has made the approriate noises about wanting to keep him here while also allowing him to do TDs work by aggressively shopping himself around/

TD is also far more tradeable than PP because a team had to trafe and sign for PP in order to make the deal work. A team can trade for TH and work him out or even see how he plays for a few games if they wish and then sign him if he merits it.

PP amd TH are not a perfect analogy for each other at all. The Bills have far more cards and a lot more leverage to trade Henry. We had to create leverage by putting the transition tag on Price, but this would have been a risky maneuver for us except Blank had already publicly promised to the fans and to Vick he would do what was necessary to bring him in. He thought that was going to simply be a big contract, but because of his big mouth it became a 1st round pick also.

I think that the fact Henry is under contract makes him far easier for the Bills to trade than Peerless as an FA.

The Bills were scheduled to recieve and were owed nothing for Peerless as an FA, but, we have Travis under contract for another year and TD has made the approriate noises about wanting to keep him here while also allowing him to do TDs work by aggressively shopping himself around/

TD is also far more tradeable than PP because a team had to trafe and sign for PP in order to make the deal work.  A team can trade for TH and work him out or even see how he plays for a few games if they wish and then sign him if he merits it.

PP amd TH are not a perfect analogy for each other at all.  The Bills have far more cards and a lot more leverage to trade Henry.  We had to create leverage by putting the transition tag on Price, but this would have been a risky maneuver for us except Blank had already publicly promised to the fans and to Vick he would do what was necessary to bring him in.  He thought that was going to simply be a big contract, but because of his big mouth it became a 1st round pick also.

210472[/snapback]

>>>>> We had to create leverage by putting the transition tag on Price<<<<<

The Bills lost their transition tag about 10 years ago. They no longer have one as per the players agreement.

They named Price the Franchise Player and removed the tag in order to trade him.

TD is also far more tradeable than PP because a team had to trafe and sign for PP in order to make the deal work.  A team can trade for TH and work him out or even see how he plays for a few games if they wish and then sign him if he merits it.

PP amd TH are not a perfect analogy for each other at all.  The Bills have far more cards and a lot more leverage to trade Henry.  We had to create leverage by putting the transition tag on Price, but this would have been a risky maneuver for us except Blank had already publicly promised to the fans and to Vick he would do what was necessary to bring him in.  He thought that was going to simply be a big contract, but because of his big mouth it became a 1st round pick also.

210472[/snapback]

The free agent market drove that trade, much like it allowed the Bills to sign Spikes without having to compensate Cinci. When there is a lack of unrestricted talent at a position and you have a team in need that feels it's very close, you have a chance to get something good in return.

While the Bills are in a better contractual position with Henry, the UFA talent is very good(right now and predicted to be) and the draft talent is solid. Right now, I would place them somewhere in between where the Bills were then with Price and where the Bengals were then with Spikes.

If Tom Donahoe gets the 2nd pick in the draft for TH and a #2, we need to name a WNY county after him.

People, PLEASE. The Giants basically moved up 3 spots when they traded for Eli Manning. It cost them an additional first, a third, and a fifth.

When the Chargers moved up ONE spot to select Ryan Leaf, it cost them an additional first, a second, and Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

When Atlanta moved up 4 picks to select Michael Vick, it cost them an additional #1, a 2nd, a third, and Tim Dwight.