Henry's coments hav me salivating bout possibility

If Tom Donahoe gets the 2nd pick in the draft for TH and a #2, we need to name a WNY county after him.

People, PLEASE.  The Giants basically moved up 3 spots when they traded for Eli Manning.  It cost them an additional first, a third, and a fifth.

When the Chargers moved up ONE spot to select Ryan Leaf, it cost them an additional first, a second, and Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.

When Atlanta moved up 4 picks to select Michael Vick, it cost them an additional #1, a 2nd, a third, and Tim Dwight.

210561[/snapback]

Different times, different markets, different results. Yet may posters still seem to insist that players have some static amount of their worth/ The state so and so is a 3rd round player, or that Dillon went for a second and Dillon is x amount better than Henry.

Its all supply and demand and the supply and demand changes all the time.

>>>>> We had to create leverage by putting the transition tag on Price<<<<<

The Bills lost their transition tag about 10 years ago. They no longer have one as per the players agreement.

They named Price the Franchise Player and removed the tag in order to trade him.

210481[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. This actually makes a lot of sense in that I have no recollection of what the trasition or franchise tag amounts for a WR were when we tagged PP, but certainly if we franchised him we would have chosen to release him rather than pay him the top 5 average salary.

By franchising him, TD took several risks:

1. He had to be sure that he had a relationship with PP that he could be sure there was no under the table deal where PP and the Falcs imply waited for the Bills to drop the tag rather than pay PP Moulds like money and risk losing him to FA the next year and then have PP waltz into a deal with AT (or whomever he and his associates conspired with) to leave the Bills with nothing.

2. He risked developing a label as an unfair operator among players which might have stopped players like Spikes from choosing the Bills if he tagged a player and then simply released him when the market had dried up.

3. He risked that PP would play the game well saying the right things to foster AT interest that a contract with him could be done once AT gave up what Blamk allowed TD to take from them.

I guessed the transition tage was probably still beyond the Bills budget for a #2 WR but the franchise tag certinly was.

The free agent market drove that trade, much like it allowed the Bills to sign Spikes without having to compensate Cinci.  When there is a lack of unrestricted talent at a position and you have a team in need that feels it's very close, you have a chance to get something good in return.

While the Bills are in a better contractual position with Henry, the UFA talent is very good(right now and predicted to be) and the draft talent is solid.  Right now, I would place them somewhere in between where the Bills were then with Price and where the Bengals were then with Spikes.

210488[/snapback]

Certainly before the combine results and scuttlebutt and all the decisions about which underclass RBs are going to enter the draft its too early for me to see the market or to put total stock in the vision of folks who know alot more than I know about the relative cap room and resources other teams have to use.

I agree with your analysis of how the market gets set. I also agree that the Bills are in a far better contractual position with Henry than with an FA. It appears to me that there will be a good chunk of talented underclassmen RBs entering this draft and that will weaken the Bills position.

However, I think there are several important kickers that make the Fins deal a definite possiblity:

1. They have a lot of needs on this team which was built to win in the last few years and as players like Seau and Thomas get older and more hurt, they will need to use a lot of draft and cap resources to deal with these needs.

2. This team is already without a second so in terms of filling these many needs if they can use the draft on other positions beisdes RB, because they think they can fill theRB need with Henry they may be tempted.

3. Having a year to go on Henry's contract is a real resource to a team which has alot of cap demands.

4, This has to be a new Dolphin team for them to market most effectively to their fan base. I think this is part of the reason why the Fins decided to go outside the team and in fact outside of the NFL for Saban rather than hiring the intensly popular old regime Bates when his team actually beat the hated but great Pats and played tough even in losing game like the one against the Bill.

How it works out is going to be how it works out and it is certainly way to early for me to make even a half-arsed judgment about whether the Fins will see some other position besides RB that they want to spend the very early first pick on and if they think all the good enough RBs will be done by the 3rd, trading for a former Pro Bowler to help them move beyond Rickey makes a lot of sense.

I'm trying to tamp down my eagerness because if we could somehow get McMichael form them I would be a very happy boy, but I don't know enough about his contract to rbrn guedd wether this move makes sense for rebuilding the Fins. He probably is too good and too pivotal to be worth their while to trade as he led the team in receptions for a TE, but as a 3 year player, FA is on the cusp for him and if they think they will lose him anyway maybe they would trade him. Perhaps Sammy Morris wants to come back as he proved his stuff as a back-up level RB with freat ST leadership and chops. i'd take either of these players over draft choices almost any day even if the player I might picke with a second or a third in this years draft might turn out to be a better player than McMichael or Morrisin a year or two.