The Coach Who Never Punts(and always onside kicks)

mattitude

Go for 2, onside, never punt...always? No. But way more often? Yes.

At the very least less talented teams should be self-aware in the offseason and devote serious work to building this into their identity and working to be good at it. Good teams should also consider it...for example...Peyton Manning never punting would be uniquely effective this year IMO. Going for 2 if you are Carolina could be a great idea if you devoted a lot of time to mastering the art.

Edited by SameOldBills

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's high school. What are the analytics in the NFL?

It wouldn't be accurate enough, because so many variables would change if the opponent knows it is your common strategy.

A lot of this could be dependent on your opponent. I mean, if you want to go for at your own 35, and you are playing the EJ Manuel led 2013 Buffalo Bills, it is likely the right strategy.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

It wouldn't be accurate enough, because so many variables would change if the opponent knows it is your common strategy.

A lot of this could be dependent on your opponent. I mean, if you want to go for at your own 35, and you are playing the EJ Manuel led 2013 Buffalo Bills, it is likely the right strategy.

I would be shocked if this wasn't effective if used much more often, very significant percentage, so long as it is practiced more (obviously...taken seriously etc you don't merely do this).

I would be shocked if this wasn't effective if used much more often, very significant percentage, so long as it is practiced more (obviously...taken seriously etc you don't merely do this).

I agree. I am all for implementing SOME of this approach. It puts even more pressure on a defense, and a DC.

I'd kind of like to see a hybrid of the no-punt and onsides kick option. If you could teach your QB to give a 30-40 yard punt from the shotgun when the other team was not planning to return it, that seems like it would be a great option for say 4th and 5+ around midfield. What I like about it is the element of surprise, and the possibility the defense touches the ball and creates a live ball downfield.

The current coach at my old high school 99% follows this philosophy. He also almost always goes for two points. They average 50 pts a game and are in the state finals with an undefeated record.

fortune favors the bold.

This subject leads me to something my father always predicted would happen, having 2 QB's on the field. One would be a more traditional QB. the other a half-back/QB hybrid that would run roll outs and half-back options (kinda like Fred Jackson occasionally ran). Really what all these ideas amount to, is widening the spectrum of what a defense has to be prepared to defend.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro