(LAMP)Need Movie Reviews if you have them

The Poojer

has anyone seen the new bill murray flick or the new michael keaton flick? heard not so hot things about "white noise", which is disappointing because micahel keaton is one of my faves, the new bill murray one looks pretty cool and i llove bill murray. thanks for the prior thread hyping coach carter and racing stripes those 2 are alos on my list. thanks in advance.

has anyone seen the new bill murray flick or the new michael keaton flick?  heard not so hot things about "white noise", which is disappointing because micahel keaton is one of my faves, the new bill murray one looks pretty cool and i llove bill murray.  thanks for the prior thread hyping coach carter and racing stripes those 2 are alos on my list.  thanks in advance.

209740[/snapback]

I don't think movie reviews are "LAMP's". I like reading other's opinions.

I'd like a review of Keaton's movie, too...his roles in "Beetlejuice" and "Much Ado About Nothing" were excellent.

Murray in "Scrooged" and "Groundhog Day" and others are very good IMHO.

Haven't seen them yet. I too want to see White Noise. I don't usually pay much attention to what critics say. I like to judge for myself. I saw "Meet the Fockers" and "Coach Carter" this weekend.

IMHO Meet the Fockers wasn't very good. Very few laughs and not nearly as funny as the first. Coach Carter is a must see. I thought that this movie was very well put together and had a great young cast. The movie showed all the ups and downs without dragging any particular story line out too long. VERY GOOD movie that I would HIGHLY recommend.

Finally got to seeing "Life Aquatic" this weekend. Like the other Wes Anderson films (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket), this one is a little shorter on plot than it is on pure enjoyment, good lines and excellent moments, not to mention creative filmmaking and a great soundtrack.

I really enjoyed it. Don't want to give away too much, but Murray is once again amazing (and the rest of the cast is great as well, Cate Blanchett & Willem Dafoe especially). It's a shame the awards circuit is shafting him again.

Didn't get to the movies but did rent "The Terminal" over the weekend.

Fantastic story, good humor, good acting. If you like corny drama's and something to watch with your wife that isn't "Under the Tuscany Sun" this is a good movie.

has anyone seen the new bill murray flick or the new michael keaton flick?  heard not so hot things about "white noise", which is disappointing because micahel keaton is one of my faves, the new bill murray one looks pretty cool and i llove bill murray.  thanks for the prior thread hyping coach carter and racing stripes those 2 are alos on my list.  thanks in advance.

209740[/snapback]

White Noise was a great movie ... and then depending on your take about the final 10 minutes of the movie, it either was a really good movie or just an average movie. I thought it was great.

I've heard that, but it hasn't showed up in my local theaters, that I'm willing to drive to.  I'm looking forward to watching it when it's released to the video rental stores.

210018[/snapback]

Yeah, this is a kind of a limited release independent movie that you only see in art-house theatres. But, don't let that scare you. It's a great comedy that is a little dark and offbeat. I would compare it to Bad Santa or Rushmore. The director did About Schmidt and Election, to give you an idea of the talent. And the acting is A+. It's been out here in San Francisco for a while, but in only a few theatres. It is worth the drive. If you see it and don't like it, let me know and I'll send a check to cover the ticket. I'm serious.

Finally got to seeing "Life Aquatic" this weekend.  Like the other Wes Anderson films (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket), this one is a little shorter on plot than it is on pure enjoyment, good lines and excellent moments, not to mention creative filmmaking and a great soundtrack.

I really enjoyed it.  Don't want to give away too much, but Murray is once again amazing (and the rest of the cast is great as well, Cate Blanchett & Willem Dafoe especially).  It's a shame the awards circuit is shafting him again.

210017[/snapback]

I hated the Royal Tennenbaums.

It wasn't short on plot. It had NO plot.

210066[/snapback]

That's one of my favorite movies. It wasn't really about the plot, so much as it was about the diverse and odd characters and their dysfunction in dealing with each other. I thought it was hilarious. Is there a better character than Pagoda?

[Royal motions to Pagoda]

Royal: He saved my life, you know. Thirty years ago. I was knifed at a bazaar in Calcutta, and he carried me to the hospital on his back.

Ari: Who stabbed you?

[Royal motions to Pagoda again]

Royal: He did. There was a price on my head, and he was a hired assassin. Stuck me in the gut with a shiv.

210066[/snapback]

Depends on what you're looking for.

Arguably, "The Station Agent" and "Kitchen Stories" had no plot, aside from the initial turns of events, but both were beautiful films.

I liked "Tenenbaums," but I just like Anderson's quirk. Sometimes I hate quirk, but his films have the kind I like.

That's one of my favorite movies. It wasn't really about the plot, so much as it was about the diverse and odd characters and their dysfunction in dealing with each other. I thought it was hilarious. Is there a better character than Pagoda?

[Royal motions to Pagoda]

Royal: He saved my life, you know. Thirty years ago. I was knifed at a bazaar in Calcutta, and he carried me to the hospital on his back.

Ari: Who stabbed you?

[Royal motions to Pagoda again]

Royal: He did. There was a price on my head, and he was a hired assassin. Stuck me in the gut with a shiv.

210077[/snapback]

"You want to talk some jive, Coltrane?"

Yeah, this is a kind of a limited release independent movie that you only see in art-house theatres. But, don't let that scare you. It's a great comedy that is a little dark and offbeat. I would compare it to Bad Santa or Rushmore.  The director did About Schmidt and Election, to give you an idea of the talent. And the acting is A+. It's been out here in San Francisco for a while, but in only a few theatres. It is worth the drive.  If you see it and don't like it, let me know and I'll send a check to cover the ticket. I'm serious.

210055[/snapback]

I don't quite know the terms - type-cast, regionalized - but here, the big purveyor is National Amusements. They give the suburban theaters the "reality/violent/shallow/inane" movies. They run things like "Sideways" in selected areas - the university district, our snooty mall east of the city and so forth.

Alternatives are the 2nd run theaters, and Keresotes, a smallish midwestern chain which has 2 theaters about 15 miles north of me - they show a bit wider variety to their credit (AND give free popcorn and soda pop refills!).

Thanks for the money-back offer; but not needed...I'll get to see it sooner or later. BTW, me and wife saw "Racing Stripes" this weekend - an orphaned Zebra that wants to run in a thoroughbred horse race -good kid's flick - heartwarming - and good direction, voices, scenery, story, etc. Nicely done.

"You want to talk some jive, Coltrane?"

210080[/snapback]

Royal: Are you trying to steal my woman?

Henry Sherman: I beg your pardon.

Royal: You heard me, Coltrane.

Henry Sherman: "Coltrane"?

Royal: What?

Henry Sherman: Did you just call me Coltrane?

Royal: No.

Henry Sherman: You didn't?

Henry Sherman: Okay...

I don't quite know the terms - type-cast, regionalized - but here, the big purveyor is National Amusements. They give the suburban theaters the "reality/violent/shallow/inane" movies. They run things like "Sideways" in selected areas - the university district, our snooty mall east of the city and so forth.

Alternatives are the 2nd run theaters, and Keresotes, a smallish midwestern chain which has 2 theaters about 15 miles north of me - they show a bit wider variety to their credit (AND give free popcorn and soda pop refills!).

Thanks for the money-back offer; but not needed...I'll get to see it sooner or later.  BTW, me and wife saw "Racing Stripes" this weekend - an orphaned Zebra that wants to run in a thoroughbred horse race -good kid's flick - heartwarming - and good direction, voices, scenery, story, etc. Nicely done.

210081[/snapback]

That's not the first time I head good things about Racing Stripes. I also heard Polar Express was very good for kids and adults. I had to drive to Marin County to see Sideways. It was playing in a theatre in the city, but I like the one in Sausalito where it was playing, plus I could go to dinner at a favorite place while there. So I had to drive 10 miles or so to see it as well. But it was worth it. It is the kind of movie that doesn't need to be seen i nthe theatre (like a Spiderman or Lord of the Rings). It'll be fine to wait for tv.

Royal: Are you trying to steal my woman?

Henry Sherman: I beg your pardon.

Royal: You heard me, Coltrane.

Henry Sherman: "Coltrane"?

Royal: What?

Henry Sherman: Did you just call me Coltrane?

Henry Sherman: You didn't?

Henry Sherman: Okay...

210084[/snapback]

Royal: I've always been considered an !@#$ for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style. But I'd really feel blue if I didn't think you were going to forgive me.

Henry Sherman: I don't think you're an !@#$, Royal. I just think you're kind of a son of a B word.

Royal: Well, I really appreciate that