Those Whacky Cali Cops

Dante

No where in the story does it say that the boy made any appearance of "shooting" the toy gun.

If he was just carrying it (or anyone was, for that matter) what right did the police have to open fire.

because he didn't follow their commands ? that entitles deadly force ?

It's awfully hard to pass judgement on a police officer when they're faced with a gun. Replica guns today look EXACTLY like the real thing, especially in low light conditions (I fully understand this was in the afternoon, so low light may not apply). I'm quite sure that every cop is wary of teenagers with weapons since there are enough high profile cases in memory to make them a bit touchy.

It sucks but I'll let the review board do their job instead of getting crazy about it.

Toy gun or not, at the end of the day, if the youth had simply complied with the directions, there would not be a story. I'm not justifying the use of force, but I can't sit here and armchair quarterback the encounter without seeing what really transpired. 13 is old enough to pull a trigger, and if they truly thought it was a real AK, then its not as simple as police gunning down an unarmed teenager. I also don't know if this is yet another chapter in a pattern of itchy trigger fingers in Cali, but to me there is no way to take up for the cause of either side.

It is stories like this that remind me why I keep a bright orange flag tied to my BB Gun. I carry it in the yard or along the road looking for squirrels (they eat my pecans and pecans are expensive). I have been debating painting the big thing bright orange so you can tell it is a "toy."

It is easier to pass judgement here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/23/cop-motorcycle-gun-hurts-students/3174121/

It's awfully hard to pass judgement on a police officer when they're faced with a gun. Replica guns today look EXACTLY like the real thing, especially in low light conditions (I fully understand this was in the afternoon, so low light may not apply). I'm quite sure that every cop is wary of teenagers with weapons since there are enough high profile cases in memory to make them a bit touchy.

It sucks but I'll let the review board do their job instead of getting crazy about it.

Toy gun or not, at the end of the day, if the youth had simply complied with the directions, there would not be a story. I'm not justifying the use of force, but I can't sit here and armchair quarterback the encounter without seeing what really transpired. 13 is old enough to pull a trigger, and if they truly thought it was a real AK, then its not as simple as police gunning down an unarmed teenager. I also don't know if this is yet another chapter in a pattern of itchy trigger fingers in Cali, but to me there is no way to take up for the cause of either side.

No hablo ingles? Ain't that the number one excuse. I am surprised it wasn't thrown out there. Not that I agree w/it. Just saying.

No hablo ingles? Ain't that the number one excuse. I am surprised it wasn't thrown out there. Not that I agree w/it. Just saying.

Have to wonder what the coverage would be if the kid were black.