2013 Bills and Defensive Takeaways

Through the first 7 games the Bills are leading the NFL in interceptions (12) and are second in the AFC in total takeaways (15). Kudos to our defensive making plays and keeping us in games.

But is this sustainable? A lot of these turnovers have been gifts. The luck eventually will run out, more than likely. We have made some great defensive plays resulting in turnovers, but a majority have just been boneheaded turnovers by the opposition.

This start reminds me a lot of the 2011 Bills that started 5-2 and had 18 total takeaways through the first seven games. We all know the rest... the ball stopped bouncing our way and we went on a 7 game losing streak (only 8 takeaways over this span).

What is even more concerning is our record (3-4) based on our number of takeaways. In the AFC through 7 games there are 5 teams who have 11+ takeaways. These 5 teams have a combined record of 26-9.

Against BAL we had 5 interceptions and won by 3 points. I can't think of another team in the NFL that intercepts a QB 5 times in a game and wins by 3 points. FIVE!

Edited by Luis Mendoza

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Through the first 7 games the Bills are leading the NFL in interceptions (12) and are second in the AFC in total takeaways (15). Kudos to our defensive making plays and keeping us in games.

But is this sustainable? A lot of these turnovers have been gifts. The luck eventually will run out, more than likely. We have made some great defensive plays resulting in turnovers, but a majority have just been boneheaded turnovers by the opposition.

This start reminds me a lot of the 2011 Bills that started 5-2 and had 18 total takeaways through the first seven games. We all know the rest... the ball stopped bouncing our way and we went on a 7 game losing streak (only 8 takeaways over this span).

What is even more concerning is our record (3-4) based on our number of takeaways. In the AFC through 7 games there are 6 teams who have 11+ takeaways. These 6 teams have a combined record of 26-9.

Against BAL we had 5 interceptions and won by 3 points. I can't think of another team in the NFL that intercepts a QB 5 times in a game and wins by 3 points. FIVE!

In 2011 they had 16 in FIVE weeks. That's a lot different than 15 in seven weeks. The unsustainable argument doesn't hold. Sorry.

What is even more concerning is our record (3-4) based on our number of takeaways. In the AFC through 7 games there are 6 teams who have 11+ takeaways. These 6 teams have a combined record of 26-9.

Why did you do this? This was supposed to be mine.

And Big Cat, we had 8 takeaways total in two of our "skin of our teeth" wins. Is that sustainable?

Edited by FireChan

In 2011 they had 16 in FIVE weeks. That's a lot different than 15 in seven weeks. The unsustainable argument doesn't hold. Sorry.

Wow two games makes a huge difference :doh: The 2011 Bills are exactly like the 2013 Bills from a takeaway, staying in games standpoint. Winning games and staying close due to getting a ton of takeaways. Only difference is our offense was better in 2011.

Edited by Luis Mendoza

Wow two games makes a huge difference :doh: The 2011 Bills are exactly like the 2013 Bills from a takeaway, staying in games standpoint. Winning games and staying close due to getting a ton of takeaways. Only difference is our offense was better in 2011.

3.2 TO/game vs. 2.1

You don't think...ah, forget it. Our team sucks. You're right.

Maybe since on the other side of the ball we have an OC who has never coached in the NFL and inexperienced quarterbacks, the offense will improve as the season progresses. I also wonder if our run D will get better as the game slows down more for Kiko. These things could compensate for a potential dropoff in takeaways, and help keep those skin of the teeth wins coming.

So those other 5 teams that are causing as many turnovers as us have a record of 23-5 right now. Very telling. D is creating the opportunities. Those gifts need to be turned into points by the O. Huge momentum for us if we score, huge momentum the other way if we fail to score off a turnover that set us up with great field position.

Are you above the Mendoza Line? :rolleyes: The design of this defense by Pettine along with the playmaking ability of the defensive players via pressure, sacks/forced fumbles, and DB's being in position for interceptions isn't luck.When you hurry QB's in combination with good coverage, the result is often turnovers.

The personnel on this defense is good enough to keep forcing turnovers just like they did on Sunday. Specific examples would be the pick six where Tanneyhill was hurried into a throw by Mario with Robey jumping the route and the game deciding strip sack by Mario.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If losses are never good, then wins can never be bad.

Are you nine years old? Bottom line is based on the number of takeaways the Bills should be winning more games, I dont see how this is an argument. My point was to show how far away we really are as a team and how past history can potential repeat itself. (Which never happens with the Bills)

Edited by Luis Mendoza

I'm happy that we won, but our winning is very unlikely to continue. And that's not good. Needing gifts to win is not good.

That's a bold statement. There are so many things to factor into this, such as injuries getting better, rookies improving, coaching improving, confidence and so on. You can't possibly make a statement like that without taking into consideration all of those things and more.

Are you nine years old? Bottom line is the based on the number of takeaways the Bills should be winning more games, I dont see how this is an argument. My point was to show how far away we really are as a team and how past history can potential repeat itself. (Which never happens with the Bills)

Same argument can be made that we shouldn't have anywhere near 3 wins with the injuries we've had, all the rookies starting and brand new coaches. Things tend to balance out.

Are you nine years old? Bottom line is the based on the number of takeaways the Bills should be winning more games, I dont see how this is an argument. My point was to show how far away we really are as a team and how past history can potential repeat itself. (Which never happens with the Bills)

So what do you suggest the Bills do to change all of this?

That's a bold statement. There are so many things to factor into this, such as injuries getting better, rookies improving, coaching improving, confidence and so on. You can't possibly make a statement like that without taking into consideration all of those things and more.

Same argument can be made that we shouldn't have anywhere near 3 wins with the injuries we've had, all the rookies starting and brand new coaches. Things tend to balance out.

"Same argument can be made that we shouldn't have anywhere near 3 wins with the injuries we've had, all the rookies starting and brand new coaches. Things tend to balance out."

Yeah just ask the 2011 49ers.

"That's a bold statement. There are so many things to factor into this, such as injuries getting better, rookies improving, coaching improving, confidence and so on. You can't possibly make a statement like that without taking into consideration all of those things and more."

It's week 7, not week 3. There's room for improvement, sure, but we're almost at the halfway point. Byrd's on the field. Our D-line is as good as ever. The only one on offense hurt is Brad Smith and maybe Spiller, but Spill's hasn't been a factor this year even when healthy. Thad is playing very comparable to EJ. What is going to change? Woods will become Demariyus Thomas by week 16? Our rookies are already playing well, our injuries are almost gone and we still need a pick six, a pick in our own end zone, and a forced fumble with two minutes left to win by 2 points. And we still let them have a chance to win at the end.

And seeing as nothing in the NFL has correlated as strongly to wins than turnover differential, it's really not that bold. I didn't mean we wouldn't win another game, I just meant beating teams who are more talented and proven than us is very unlikely, because we need the TO's and luck to even be close.

There's not much. Play hard and hope. Get better. But I think this is more of a "manage your expectations we aren't going to get lucky forever" thread for the fans. At least that's how I took it.

Edited by FireChan

No it can't. Every team in the NFL deals with injuries, we just assume the Bills are hard done by because we love them. Rookies and brand new coaches never have success in the NFL... :wallbash:

The argument is other teams are getting right around the same amount of takeaways, the most important stat in deciding games, and we are not turning this monumental positive into wins.

I hope we can continue to turn the corner and play a full season without a stretch of CFL caliber football. I suggest the Bills start turning these takeaways into touchdowns and stop getting bailed out by our defense. Easier said than done. The takeaways are not always going to be there. Based on our first 7 games we have no chance without continued giveaways and takeaways.