Just a few things about these Bills

DR109

Let's play a game that can exemplify the point.

If I had told an average Bills fan that we would pick Joe Flacco off FIVE times in a game, a couple in his own red zone, how much would he have said we would win by? 14? 10? Probably not 3, right?

What about this game today? If I had told someone we would get a pick six, a pick in our own end zone to stop a TD drive, and a forced fumble on the Dolphins 30, what would he have said our margin would be? I doubt 2 points.

Now, ~26 other teams in the league would probably have had a bigger winning margin that the Bills have had in these games. And that's troubling.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An awful throw into a clearly covered receiver? A gift pick that is a lucky deflection? We barely won against the Pats when we got 4 lucky picks back in 2011. We won against the Ravens this year, but we needed FIVE picks, two inside their own 30, and we still only won by a score. Today, we got mandhandled in literally every category of the game, but luck bailed us out again. Just wait for the luck to run out. We were saying, "this team is so different," in 2011 at 5-2 remember? Until we can beat a good team without needing a horrific collapse on the other side, we won't have a winning season. Sometimes you need to actually outplay a good team to be "good". Until then, you aren't.

We have beaten the Super Bowl champions and almost pulled off with the Patriots and the Bengals...Sometimes luck is all the difference between two NFL teams. If the ball bounces your way then you win games.

I'm always amazed at how we can be one of the most consistent scoring teams in the league, and even after a win, it's just a whine-feat about Hackett.

He is putting the team in a place to score, and we are scoring (a lot) of points. We won , were on the rise, and Hackett is showing he is putting an offense run by a UDFA in a place to win.

I get he's young, and not the best OC in the league, but the guy is getting the job done.

I will give you the fact that he's working with a rookie qb in EJ and an undrafted free agent in Thad. That can't be easy, they're both learning on the job and have less than 10 NFL starts between them. Still I feel like Hackett is a step down from how we ran the O with Chan calling the plays. I think if Marrone had a time machine he'd go back to the day he was hired and NOT hire Hackett as his OC, rather someone who has proven experience and success at the NFL lever. The same criteria he used in sourcing Pettine.

I will give you the fact that he's working with a rookie qb in EJ and an undrafted free agent in Thad. That can't be easy, they're both learning on the job and have less than 10 NFL starts between them. Still I feel like Hackett is a step down from how we ran the O with Chan calling the plays. I think if Marrone had a time machine he'd go back to the day he was hired and NOT hire Hackett as his OC, rather someone who has proven experience and success at the NFL lever. The same criteria he used in sourcing Pettine.

You mean another Retread who would have brought the same failed system.

Finally, Mario living up to the contract.

What do you mean finally? had a good year last year and has played well this year.

If I had told an average Bills fan that we would pick Joe Flacco off FIVE times in a game, a couple in his own red zone, how much would he have said we would win by? 14? 10? Probably not 3, right?

What about this game today? If I had told someone we would get a pick six, a pick in our own end zone to stop a TD drive, and a forced fumble on the Dolphins 30, what would he have said our margin would be? I doubt 2 points.

Now, ~26 other teams in the league would probably have had a bigger winning margin that the Bills have had in these games. And that's troubling.

So winning is not enough? It has to be perfect?

How about if I told you we lost EJ and were playing our practice squad QB, that we lost our top 3 cbs and top safety for much of the first 7 games, that CJ was hobbled and getting held to under 10 yards in multiple games? And then, what if I asked you to look at our relatively tough schedule? What would you think our record would be? 1-6? 0-7? How many games would you have guessed we were within a TD of winning in the 4th quarter? 2?

3-4 is not great and this team has had some dreadful moments, but they have also given reason to give hope, and done many things right...they clearly don't give up, and have managed to be in every game so far this year.

Bull. This is why "stats" are overrated.

People keep pulling out this "we are 1 of 2 teams to score 20 every week" nonsense. They neglect to point out that in 7 games, we also have YET to score 25. And if you take away the defensive touchdowns, our offense scored only 14 against the Patriots and only 16 today. That is not "a lot" of points.

If you were to break it down, you would also find that most of our offensive points have come from big plays (such as the deep touchdown throw to Goodwin in Cincinnati or CJ's run against the Browns). Although these plays are awesome, it only amplifies the FACT that we are NOT sustaining drives. You want to pull out some stats about consistency? How do we rank against other teams in 3-outs? How many scoring drives have we had of 7 or more plays?

So, you are disappointed with how an entirely new staff from the tiptop of the FO on down to a totally reworked roster are doing? What exactly do you expect? They are on their 4th QB. Patchwork offensive line (that the FO gets the blame for). Patchwork defense. Patchwork ST. What is it that you expect?

My expectations going into the season were low and that was before the QB 'situation.' What I see is a team that doesn't give up. What I see is a coaching staff working their butts off. What I see is some smoke & mirrors. Games that would have been lost have been won. I'm not putting anyone in the HOF, but common man, look for something positive here.

How about if I told you we lost EJ and were playing our practice squad QB, that we lost our top 3 cbs and top safety for much of the first 7 games, that CJ was hobbled and getting held to under 10 yards in multiple games? And then, what if I asked you to look at our relatively tough schedule? What would you think our record would be? 1-6? 0-7? How many games would you have guessed we were within a TD of winning in the 4th quarter? 2?

3-4 is not great and this team has had some dreadful moments, but they have also given reason to give hope, and done many things right...they clearly don't give up, and have managed to be in every game so far this year.

Record does not always indicate talent. Just look at the 2011 5-2 start.