Gildon or McKenzie?

I haven't seen much of either of these guys. Anyone know how many D-Lineman we usually keep -- is it 9? If that's the case, is it 5 DTs and 4 Ends?

If we keep Gildon, and keep him as an End on the roster, that's 5 ends including McKenzie. I think one has to go. Gildon is the more recent FA signing but I do recall McKenzie playing OK when he had the shot last year -- which wasn't too often. I think McKenzie goes, but I am not sure if it's the better move. Discuss...

Neither, unless Gildon is doing great in the practices and Mularkey purposesly hasn't shown his passrush in PS. He has been a complete non-factor in any of the games I've reviewed. McKenzie looks barely passable as a backup, but I think we'd go with youth over him.

I think Gildon will be hard to assess at this point, since he will most likely be a situational player and there are no gameplans. I assume when the regular season gets here and the coaches start to look at film they will try and find ways to utilize Gildon based on trends by the opposing teams offense.

Neither, unless Gildon is doing great in the practices and Mularkey purposesly hasn't shown his passrush in PS.  He has been a complete non-factor in any of the games I've reviewed.  McKenzie looks barely passable as a backup, but I think we'd go with youth over him.

15821[/snapback]

But who?

Ritzmann?

From the bb.com depth chart:

LE:

Chris Kelsay

Ryan Denney

Jason Gildon

Constantin Ritzmann

RE:

Aaron Schobel

Keith McKenzie

We're keeping Schobel, Kelsay, Denney. We cut McKenzie and Gildon, because they haven't shown anything. But all that leaves is Ritzmann. I can't see us keeping one 'star,' two second- and third-year prospects who haven't really shown any gametime stuff yet, and Ritzmann. It doesn't speak much for our ends, but it looks to me like we keep McKenzie or Gildon as an end unless something juicy falls off another team's tree in Sunday's cuts. The lack of experience is frightening.

Yikes. Bring back Bruce, please.

It's a tough choice, for certain. It looks like we'll be keeping 5 tackles and 4 ends. Ritzmann is just not ready for prime time, it seems, so that leaves the competition between Gildon and McKenzie.

I haven't seen much of preseason play so far, so it's hard for me to comment. But I do think, unless McKenzie has really risen above Gildon, that Gildon has the edge since he can play two positions.

But who?

Ritzmann?

From the bb.com depth chart:

LE:

Chris Kelsay

Ryan Denney

Jason Gildon

Constantin Ritzmann

RE:

Aaron Schobel

Keith McKenzie

We're keeping Schobel, Kelsay, Denney.  We cut McKenzie and Gildon, because they haven't shown anything.  But all that leaves is Ritzmann.  I can't see us keeping one 'star,' two second- and third-year prospects who haven't really shown any gametime stuff yet, and Ritzmann.  It doesn't speak much for our ends, but it looks to me like we keep McKenzie or Gildon as an end unless something juicy falls off another team's tree in Sunday's cuts.  The lack of experience is frightening.

Yikes.  Bring back Bruce, please.

15942[/snapback]

Hmm... Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Ritzmann, Gildon and McKenzie have all looked about the same. Gildon has hardly been used, and looked dejected on the sidelines of the Indi game (like, "why isn't anyone talking to me? have I already been cut?"). From the LE / RE perspective, it looks like McKenzie has the edge, if these are our only choices (no decent cuts from other teams). Ritzman is eligible for the PS and may be able to compete for a spot next year.

For the past two games I played and replayed my DVR and recorded which players were clear positves or negatives on each play (typical play=maybe one player noted in Titans game; 1-2 players noted each play in Indi game). In the Titans game, I saw one good play by Gildon, and two or three negative plays [Late EDIT: one negative for Mckenzie and nothing noted for Ritzman]. For Indi game, I saw one positive pass rush from Ritzman, one good tackle from Gildon, and nothing else for any of them. I remember seeing Ritzman and McKenzie a step out of the play a couple times each, and thought of this as a positive for young Ritzman and a negative for McKenzie. I barely saw Gildon at all.

Unless we're planning to use Gildon for creative pass rushes we haven't shown (except a bit in Broncos game), it doesn't look like a viable backup is on the team yet....

Hmm... Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Ritzmann, Gildon and McKenzie have all looked about the same.  Gildon has hardly been used, and looked dejected on the sidelines of the Indi game (like, "why isn't anyone talking to me? have I already been cut?").  From the LE / RE perspective, it looks like McKenzie has the edge, if these are our only choices (no decent cuts from other teams).  Ritzman is eligible for the PS and may be able to compete for a spot next year. 

For the past two games I played and replayed my DVR and recorded which players were clear positves or negatives on each play (typical play=maybe one player noted in Titans game; 1-2 players noted each play in Indi game).  In the Titans game, I saw one good play by Gildon, and two or three negative plays  (Nothing noted for either Ritzman or McKenzie).  For Indi game, I saw one positive pass rush from Ritzman, one good tackle from Gildon, and nothing else for any of them.  I remember seeing Ritzman and McKenzie a step out of the play a couple times each, and thought of this as a positive for young Ritzman and a negative for McKenzie. I barely saw Gildon at all.

Unless we're planning to use Gildon for creative pass rushes we haven't shown (except a bit in Broncos game), it doesn't look like a viable backup is on the team yet....

16086[/snapback]

I agree, I think Gildon would have been cut already if they didn't have some sort of special way to use him.

I think they keep both and Ritzman is PS if he clears waivers, which he should. I really doubt that they would sign Gildon and then not let him rush the passer in pre-season to see if he can still do it, which he hasnt been asked to do more than 2-3 times total, and none as a down pass rusher. 90% of the time he has been in, he has dropped back in coverage while other players blitzed. I just think they are playing possum.