Pats defense

Indy Dave

Obviously Ty Law and Richard Seymour would be starters if they were in Buffalo. But of the 11 players who started today for New England, how many would be hands-down starters over the 11 we start? I don't think there are too many of them. Another example of what a great team and coaching staff they have.

Obviously Ty Law and Richard Seymour would be starters if they were in Buffalo. But of the 11 players who started today for New England, how many would be hands-down starters over the 11 we start? I don't think there are too many of them.  Another example of what a great team and coaching staff they have.

208071[/snapback]

It really helps that Indy had a totally inept approach on offense. NE's defense is vulnerable to outside and deep passes, Tennessee showed that last year in the playoffs. In fact, Tennessee would have won last year except McNair was very inaccurate in his throws.

NE's problem has been greatly increased with all their secondary injuries. So what did Indy do? They threw nothing deep and very little outside. They threw short passes over the middle, playing into NE's greatest strength, it's LBs. What a brain freeze by Indy, they did not even give it a decent shot with that game plan.

Hate him or hate him more, but Harrison starts on any team in the league.

Bruschi is a walking bigplay so I probably plug him in the middle and kick Fletch outside to replace Posey.

Maybe Wilfork gets a look at LDE.

Aside from that, I wouldn't switch anybody out.

Cya

It really helps that Indy had a totally inept approach on offense.  NE's defense is vulnerable to outside and deep passes, Tennessee showed that last year in the playoffs.  In fact, Tennessee would have won last year except McNair was very inaccurate in his throws.

NE's problem has been greatly increased with all their secondary injuries.  So what did Indy do?  They threw nothing deep and very little outside.  They threw short passes over the middle, playing into NE's greatest strength, it's LBs.  What a brain freeze by Indy, they did not even give it a decent shot with that game plan.

208081[/snapback]

Hard to argue with what you said re: Indy's game plan. But I think there were several factors involved....poor field position, poor field conditions, poor weather conditions, the time of possession dominance by New England, and most importantly, New England's scheme. They took away the area outside the numbers and funneled everything inside. That allowed the Pats' linebackers to be a major factor.

NE's problem has been greatly increased with all their secondary injuries.  So what did Indy do?  They threw nothing deep and very little outside.  They threw short passes over the middle, playing into NE's greatest strength, it's LBs.  What a brain freeze by Indy, they did not even give it a decent shot with that game plan.

208081[/snapback]

This amazed me. It got to the point where it seemed like the only passes Peyton was throwing were either a quick slant with the receiver falling as he caught it, or a screen that spent the better part of the day getting blown up. He threw one long ball, but it was third and 20-something, so he had to. I thought..."See? You can go long. Do it again. Go to the hurry up. DO SOMETHING!!!"

People point to quarterbacks all day long, but you could argue that both the Jets and Colts are at home now because of bad decisions made by coaches. It's one of the reasons the Pats are so successful. Their coaches don't make many bad decisions more consistently.

Shame on you, Dungy. You blew it. Go get a defense.

He threw one long ball

To me that is the amazing stat. How the hell do they go the whole game and never take a shot down the field? The Jets did, several times. I don't remember them completing any of them, but it opened up the Steeler D.

Horrible play calling for the Colts, especially in the first half. Second half they simply never had the ball.

Hate him or hate him more, but Harrison starts on any team in the league.

208082[/snapback]

I disagree, Harrison is a system guy. His last year in SD he looked finished. They came to Buffalo and Moulds and Price ran Harrison all over the field and had him terrorized. He comes to NE, in a system where everyone has an assignment and actually executes it and he is a star.

I disagree, Harrison is a system guy. His last year in SD he looked finished.

I don't know if he looked finished, but you're right that he didn't look like he'd be making any more trips to Hawaii. I think you should also take into account though that he was playing hurt for most of the year and that he had no help around him whatsoever.

He may be playing in a great system but that's no reason to not give him the credit he's due. He's been arguably the best player on a defense that is stoning just about everybody and even if Belichik/Crennel have a hand in putting him postion to make plays, it's Harrison himself who has to take advantage of those opportunities, which he does at a phenomenal rate.

Then again I freely admit to personal bias as he's one of my favorite all-time players.

Cya

Milloy is every bit as good as Harrison IMO. I agree with Badol that the Pats have system guys and they execute their roles to perfection. Regarding our defense one must always factor in our highly inconsistent offense and the offenses of other teams we are comparing defensive players to... The talent we have amassed on defense is nothing short of historically impressive for a Bills team.

Obviously Ty Law and Richard Seymour would be starters if they were in Buffalo. But of the 11 players who started today for New England, how many would be hands-down starters over the 11 we start? I don't think there are too many of them.  Another example of what a great team and coaching staff they have.

208071[/snapback]

You got that right. This is a complete football team. Will be a good game in Pittsburgh next week. But I still like the Patriots.