Trading next years mid/late draft picks for a proven player/backup

simpleman

Still think you are better off using your 5-7 round picks than trading them for proven NFL talent? Let’s go back another three years:

Round Five (147)- Nic Harris LB

•Round Six (183)- Cary Harris DB

•Round Seven (220)- Ellis Lankster DB

5 - TE Derek Fine

6 - OLB Alvin Bowen

7 - RB Xavier Omon

6 John Wendling S

7) Derek Schouman TE

7 C.J. Ah You DE

no one is going to give us proven talent for late round picks either.

Though some obviously have problems with the concept of trading mid/late draft picks for proven players, most I think would be happy with the concept. The problem of course is that the discussion is futile if nobody actually knows of any proven talent that is not only on the trade blocks but is also acquirable for a mid/late pick.

I see your point, and I agree that a player like Anquan Boldin is available for a 4th or 5th round pick go for it. Point is, aren't alot of those players. Despite our draft history, there are a few gems that can be found in the late rounds. Looking back the last couple of years, it's tough to gauge a late round pick on one or two seasons. Sometimes it takes longer for those guys to grow into NFL players.

Also keep in mind that late round picks can also be used to move up in the early rounds. Bills may want to have a couple of those in their pocket next draft so they don't have to wait to ge the guy they want and lose him.

I think that IF any moves are made they should be in the best long term interest of the franchise. I.e. don't trade anything for a stopgap QB just sign someone available. If you are going to make a trade it should be someone that solves a need and would fit you long term plan (that's why I threw Joseph out there). I could see a G, TE, possibly a corner or OLB but other than that I would not deal draft picks.

It is interesting that so many are so hung up on our mid/late draft picks. After I listed them for 6 years. It is even worse if you add in the 4th round. Very few hits there either for this team. We really draft bad after the first day. Yet I just read an article on the best CBs in the league on ESPN and almost half were 4th rounders or later, one was even a 6th.

It is interesting that so many are so hung up on our mid/late draft picks. After I listed them for 6 years. It is even worse if you add in the 4th round. Very few hits there either for this team. We really draft bad after the first day. Yet I just read an article on the best CBs in the league on ESPN and almost half were 4th rounders or later, one was even a 6th.

I totally agree with you in that mid/late draft picks have a very low success rate and that if one can trade one for an established proven player (at a position of great weakness) then one should do it(every time IMO).

You are however wrong in your assertion that the above occurs with the Bills and not the rest of the league.

You mentioned an ESPN article that has me extremely curious. Of the 64 starting CBs in the league, 20 are 1st round picks, 11 are 2nd, and 8 are 3rd. (39 of 64 being 61%).

This leaves 39% who are 4th round - undrafted......which is around half(at a stretch). I cannot see however that around half of the 'best' CBs in the league are from that 39% who were drafted 4th round or later.

Below is a list of those 39% CBs(25 players). Apart from perhaps Samuel and Sherman, I can't see any who are considered to be in the 'best' category.

Having read the article, perhaps you can highlight which ones are considered to be the best in the league?

4th Round:

PIT: Taylor

IND: Toler

TEN: McCourty

TEN: Verner

JAX: Blackmon

PHIL: Boykin

ATL: Samuel

SEA; Sherman

5th Round:

CLE: Skrine

BAL: Graham