Would you like to know why we're getting gashed in run defense

Here's your answer.

http://www.buffaloru...ts-bilal-powell

TLDR Version: Kiko Alonso is the Justin Rogers of run defenders!

That seems like an odd takeaway from that article.

Sure looked like the entire Bills defence looked like **** on the few plays that were highlighted there. Or did I not see MD, Lawson, Branch, Leonard, Searcy, Moats, and Hughes mentioned as making mistakes as well? But hey, you're right, the rookie LB is what caused the Bills run to be gashed so badly.

Edited by Joe Miner

Blasphemy. I've read on this board that the bills run D is just fine and not a problem.

Stole my thunder...But it's not just Alonzo. It seemed like the article hit on everyone but Kyle Wms (whom I think is DONE).

Just like we have playmakers on offense, the Bills need playmakers in the front 7. Consistent playmakers. Until then...it'll be tough to win.

Stole my thunder...But it's not just Alonzo. It seemed like the article hit on everyone but Kyle Wms (whom I think is DONE).

Just like we have playmakers on offense, the Bills need playmakers in the front 7. Consistent playmakers. Until then...it'll be tough to win.

First game in a while that Kyle was actually moved backwards on occasion. I credit Mangold and the rest of that OLine for that more than I do a decline in KW's play. He still plays with the best leverage of any D lineman we have. Now, that may not say much to you, but he compares nicely with the better DTs in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

First game in a while that Kyle was actually moved backwards on occasion. I credit Mangold and the rest of that OLine for that more than I do a decline in KW's play. He still plays with the best leverage of any D lineman we have. Now, that may not say much to you, but he compares nicely with the better DTs in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll watch him again this week, but I haven't seen that from KW in a while.

KW has been pushed around some. I don't think it is strength, leverage or skill. I think it is purely out played a few times. That happens. I am fine with that. Where Williams has struggled is when he is being beat he cannot hold his own. I do not think it is in his hand battle - which is the case with Dareus, though he is almost always double teamed. I think KWilliams is just being beat on and being misutilized. I had a few minutes to look in to Tampa's old defense with Sapp. Everyone wants a DT like Sapp which is sad. You can only have Sapp if you have a top notch set of safeties, two good LB's (Mike and Will) and someone like a nickel, Jack, or dime guy who can cover on passing downs. Sapp had no responsibility for the run, though he did make tackles for a loss. His responsibility was to blow **** up. Instead of Sapp we need Dareus to be like Wilfork and Williams needs to play like Sapp. The problem is that Williams just doesn't seem as quick.

Alonso is having great difficulty fighting thru traffic getting his angles. He is wanting to touch everything that comes across from him. He is still playing well but he needs to be at the LOS when the ball carrier gets to the line. Luckily we have MWilliams playing great containment at DE. Very underappreciated this year against the run. ... very untested, too because we are so weak in the middle.

Manny Lawson is our best LB right now. He is playing his position better then anyone else at LB. Maybe all defense. He is taking angles. He is in place. He is playing smart and can defend the pass.

We are having a hard time I think because Pettine I believe came ti Buffalo thinking many of these players were something they are not. A flag was thrown in my eyes when BScott was cut. I think we could use him right now at hybrid S. But i am happy with Robey...surprised, more

It is funny to me in the sense that everyone thought all those pieces of the last two years would come together with Pettine. I think he may be more green the. People think and it was exposes when he lost his secondary. He was unable to adapt.

Pettine needs to go to a 3-3 front and hope Byrd comes back. I would be interested in seeing Leonard play monster with AWilliams both playing cover 2 and improvising Byrd as playing between the hashes on the deep man.

KW has been pushed around some. I don't think it is strength, leverage or skill. I think it is purely out played a few times. That happens. I am fine with that. Where Williams has struggled is when he is being beat he cannot hold his own. I do not think it is in his hand battle - which is the case with Dareus, though he is almost always double teamed. I think KWilliams is just being beat on and being misutilized. I had a few minutes to look in to Tampa's old defense with Sapp. Everyone wants a DT like Sapp which is sad. You can only have Sapp if you have a top notch set of safeties, two good LB's (Mike and Will) and someone like a nickel, Jack, or dime guy who can cover on passing downs. Sapp had no responsibility for the run, though he did make tackles for a loss. His responsibility was to blow **** up. Instead of Sapp we need Dareus to be like Wilfork and Williams needs to play like Sapp. The problem is that Williams just doesn't seem as quick.

Alonso is having great difficulty fighting thru traffic getting his angles. He is wanting to touch everything that comes across from him. He is still playing well but he needs to be at the LOS when the ball carrier gets to the line. Luckily we have MWilliams playing great containment at DE. Very underappreciated this year against the run. ... very untested, too because we are so weak in the middle.

Manny Lawson is our best LB right now. He is playing his position better then anyone else at LB. Maybe all defense. He is taking angles. He is in place. He is playing smart and can defend the pass.

We are having a hard time I think because Pettine I believe came ti Buffalo thinking many of these players were something they are not. A flag was thrown in my eyes when BScott was cut. I think we could use him right now at hybrid S. But i am happy with Robey...surprised, more

It is funny to me in the sense that everyone thought all those pieces of the last two years would come together with Pettine. I think he may be more green the. People think and it was exposes when he lost his secondary. He was unable to adapt.

Pettine needs to go to a 3-3 front and hope Byrd comes back. I would be interested in seeing Leonard play monster with AWilliams both playing cover 2 and improvising Byrd as playing between the hashes on the deep man.

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been touting MW's play against the run since last year. He's simply one of the best DE's in the game at holding his corner.

Agree about Lawson. He's been fantastic.

Agree about Kiko. He's still getting his feet wet. When he figures out his angles, he's gonna be a force.

Disagree about KW. 'Nuff said.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been touting MW's play against the run since last year. He's simply one of the best DE's in the game at holding his corner.

Agree about Lawson. He's been fantastic.

Agree about Kiko. He's still getting his feet wet. When he figures out his angles, he's gonna be a force.

Disagree about KW. 'Nuff said.

GO BILLS!!!

nothing to disagree with about Kyle. They need to just turn him loose between the 5's and let him play football. Gt to the back field. Prwfwrabbly on the weak side. Don't have him try ti hold his own. He is not big and strong enough to be a factor like he could bybsimplying blasting gaps

Joe B. on Alonso:

Inside Linebacker

Since it's his first year in the league, you have to include the word 'rookie' when it comes to Kiko Alonso (78, 4, 3.3). If you see the way he plays, he's been anything but a rookie. In fact, he's been the best player on the Bills through three weeks. Alonso's ability in coverage was on display once again, reading Geno Smith's eyes for his second interception in as many weeks. He put the Bills in a great position for a touchdown, but the offense couldn't convert. Alonso was once again solid against the run, and plugged up the running lane numerous times. His biggest weakness is overrunning the hole sometimes, which is something that comes with the territory for the aggressive and instinctive linebacker.

See now I thought this was probably Kiko's best game against the run... and I have been a big talker about him overrunning plays. I thought the Jets broke most of their big runs by the force player losing contain to the outside.

For his run struggles though... he has been good/very good against the pass