A great job by the defense last week... My favorite 2 blitzes drawn up

jonramz

In honor of a great defensive performance... Here are play breakdowns of my 2 favorite blitzes by the Bills this week.

Besides, everyone and their brother have talked about the game winning TD

http://yardsperpass.com/ <--- view the whole blog

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=310 <---- A really funky blitz that isn't a blitz on 3rd and 9

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=300 <---- Double ILB cross zone blitz

Comments and questions always appreciated

-Jon

I vividly remember that first one...it's the first play I can recall in a long time that made me sit up and say "What the hell was that?" but wasn't utterly stupid.

Good stuff. Funny how posting links to ones website doesn't seem like spam when the content is good and the poster is genuine.

Sour grapes?

Also, in this case it is not easy to link the photos here and do the same breakdown. He doesn't step on other people or plug his stuff ad nausea. Nor does he take credit for faux-news or the recycled stuff.

He provides content, level headed, fair, and with quality that generates discussion. He then follows up with discussion here. Yeah, it would be cool if he could use TBD as his main source without pulling traffic but that's not how this site is set up and I am happy for that...

Sour grapes?

Also, in this case it is not easy to link the photos here and do the same breakdown. He doesn't step on other people or plug his stuff ad nausea. Nor does he take credit for faux-news or the recycled stuff.

He provides content, level headed, fair, and with quality that generates discussion. He then follows up with discussion here. Yeah, it would be cool if he could use TBD as his main source without pulling traffic but that's not how this site is set up and I am happy for that...

I was being serious. It's good content and much appreciated unlike some of the self promotional garbage that people try to pass off as a post. Certainly no sour grapes here as I have nothing worth promoting. My point was that good content won't be viewed as self promotional bs. The OP has separated himself from the damon talbots and pat morans of the world by providing worthwhile information. I hate that I even know who those two are.

I like when you identify when a blitz is not a breally a blitz. If you only rush four, but one or two of them are DBs, it's not really a blitz even though most announcers will call it a blitz.

Another often mis-named play is an end-around (completely unrelated to this defensive discussion, but while I am on the subject of mis-named plays I thought I would bring it up). For some reason, people (even announcers who should know better) like to call it a reverse, even though nobody reversed, the end just came around.

Thanks to those who answered my stupid question, and for not agreeing with me that it was stupid.

wait ! can i have another turn ?

Now you know what cover one and cover two etc mean. I love to learn football stuff and i can always learn more for sure :thumbsup:

Jon great stuff. I actually told my son to come check this out. He played pop warner for a couple years and folllows NFL and college .

But he was really diggin' this " how to " as was i

Thanks

again

good Sir

Thanks for the positive feedback guys... I really do appreciate it. Like I say it is a labor of love. I just really enjoy talking football. Also if there is ever a specific play that you would like me to take a closer look at, I'd be happy to... just shoot me an e-mail

Just some more positive feedback for you so you keep doing this. I loved it, and I learned a lot.

I never played football at any level (other than 7th grade flag football, where, to give myself credit, I was a scoring machine at running back). So despite the fact that I have been watching football ardently for 35 years, I know very little about the technical scheme design side of the game beyond the basics. This is especially true for defensive backfield schemes, because you don't see the full picture as often, and because the announcers usually do a pretty superficial job of explaining things - maybe with good reason - perhaps the average fan doesn't want to know too much.

Anyway, I love learning more about something I've been watching for decades. I read your stuff with great pleasure, and very slowly so I can take it in. Looking forward to more. Thanks!

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I never played football at any level (other than 7th grade flag football, where, to give myself credit I was a scoring machine at running back).

Dude, the Browns are on the phone.

I agree with everything you said. I know next to nothing about football beyond the basics (the Dolphins are overrated, being a Jets fan is something you're supposed to outgrow, and the P*ts are cheaters). So these types if discussions are very educational for me.

kj