Don Beebe Theory - Current Players Who Fit

jwhit34

Back in the 1990s I came up with what I called The Don Beebe Theory, which I defined as the propensity for fans of a team to vastly overrate role of marginal players on their favorite team.

The reasons I chose to name it the Don Beebe Theory was the over-infatuation with him. Fans talked about Beebe as if he was a real difference maker and a premier 2nd/3rd receiver. The facts are that his career highs with the Bills were 40 receptions (1994), 554 yards ('92) and 6 TDs ('91, and I think 4 came in the Pittsburgh game). Jamie Mueller had more receptions than he did in one season (1990, 16- vs. 11). In the years he played, 6 guys (Reed, Lofton, Thurman, McKellar, Metzellars, Bill Brooks) had at least 1 season with more than his career-high season of 40 catches.

So, who fits the Don Beebe theory now?

1. Marcus Easley - He's been here 4 years, and though he's had stints on the IR, people still talk about him like he's going to emerge as the the next elite big receiver. The fact is that he probably gets cut if Brad Smith is healthy, and Chris Hogan is ahead of him on the depth chart.

2. Alex Carrington - Though he's played much better in '12 and '13, he's merely a rotational player who happened to block some kicks last year (part of the Don Beebe folklore is stripping Leon Lett in the Super Bowl so the blocked kicks kind of fall into the same category).

There are a few that have the potential too (Ron Brooks, Arthur Moats, even Jeff Tuel - backup QBs are always great for this as are 4th-6th receivers). Other recent examples were Naaman Roosevelt and David Nelson.

Edited by jwhit34

I get what you're saying, agree wit hthe concept though not sure I'd put Easley in there. He's looked very good at LIMITED times, but has missed two years due to injury. Whereas don't recall Beebe ever having a wow moment, so I do agree with you there about I too never saw the greatness in Beebe. Actually the guy on the current Bill's I'd compare to Beeebe is TJ, alot of speed, but not sure of the football instincts.

Actually, on Sunday, Easley's ST play reminded me more of Steve Tasker than of Don Beebe.

This is a bit of a stretch as it was one game but Easley's size and speed are proving valuable in ST's.

To the original poster's point(s) I think the current situation is borne more out of a desire to have anyone on the roster step up. We've suffered through over a decade of mediocrity at best football. The truth is that a few superstar players on a roster lift the talent of those around them. While I hate to use the example put the same receivers on the Patsies* with the Amish squirt gun and you do not get the same results.

Back in the 1990s I came up with what I called The Don Beebe Theory, which I defined as the propensity for fans of a team to vastly overrate role of marginal players on their favorite team.

People always have, always will root for the underdog. The faces and names change but that is constant.

The Don Beebe Theory - that's pretty good. We used to call it "falling in love with your players."

The thing with Beebe was that he added real value. He stretched defenses vertically with his speed. And I think one of the reasons he was so popular back then has less to do with chasing down Leon Lett than it does that one play where he got up-ended and landed on his helmet and still held on to the ball. I want to say it was a big play - like a long 3rd down in a tight game...

But I'm not arguing with you; we fall in love with players based on a couple of good-to-great plays they've made when their overall productivity simply doesn't merit such praise. And yep, I'd put Moats, Carrington, and Roosevelt in that category, too.

Whereas don't recall Beebe ever having a wow moment,

Except when he turned his neck into a spring. That was definitely a wow moment.

I made a related though somewhat different point in the preseason: for too long, we have depended on good stories and not good players. Talent management was such that we really needed a lot of Cinderellas to come true for us to compete: the Donald Jones, the Fitzes, and so on. Some of those did develop (Stevie, Fred) but for the most part, we had too many marginal players in central roles.

I think we are seeing a different level of talent this season, with players and not stories playing the central role.

The Don Beebe Theory - that's pretty good. We used to call it "falling in love with your players."

The thing with Beebe was that he added real value. He stretched defenses vertically with his speed. And I think one of the reasons he was so popular back then has less to do with chasing down Leon Lett than it does that one play where he got up-ended and landed on his helmet and still held on to the ball. I want to say it was a big play - like a long 3rd down in a tight game...

But I'm not arguing with you; we fall in love with players based on a couple of good-to-great plays they've made when their overall productivity simply doesn't merit such praise. And yep, I'd put Moats, Carrington, and Roosevelt in that category, too.

I believe that head bounce play was in the Cleveland playoff game...