Now This is Sailing!

Chef Jim

USA wins again!

Almost like the Bills comeback in super slow motion.

So what is the scoop? Is it winner take all or is the US still behind? I find the America's Cup website really a PITA to find anything out easily. I know it is best of 17 (first to 9) with the Kiwi's having 8 wins... With today's win, what does the US have? How did the whole cheating penalty work into this? Can somebody explain?

Anyway... I haven't followed in a few years but, is this what sailing has become...?? It seems more like space flight. I am not a total purist but, the technology does seem outta this world and outta hand. A far cry even from the 12 metre racing of 30 years ago!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the scoop? Is it winner take all or is the US still behind? I find the America's Cup website really a PITA to find anything out easily. I know it is best of 17 (first to 9) with the Kiwi's having 8 wins... With today's win, what does the US have? How did the whole cheating penalty work into this? Can somebody explain?

Anyway... I haven't followed in a few years but, is this what sailing has become...?? It seems more like space flight. I am not a total purist but, the technology does seem outta this world and outta hand. A far cry even from the 12 metre racing of 30 years ago!

It's the best of 17 as you mentioned and the Kiwis have been stuck at 8 for quite some time now. The US has actually won 7 races but are actually at 5 due to the "cheating" which I'm not sure what they did.

As far at the boats I thought they really sucked until i saw them live last weekend and on TV today. The tactics are still basically the same. The thing is to try and get them on the foils and then they can literally fly. It's great to watch how fast they can go. Today up to 32 knots in light winds. Holy helll

It's the best of 17 as you mentioned and the Kiwis have been stuck at 8 for quite some time now. The US has actually won 7 races but are actually at 5 due to the "cheating" which I'm not sure what they did.

As far at the boats I thought they really sucked until i saw them live last weekend and on TV today. The tactics are still basically the same. The thing is to try and get them on the foils and then they can literally fly. It's great to watch how fast they can go. Today up to 32 knots in light winds. Holy helll

Thanks. I am not sure what we (US) did either with being docked races. So does that mean we have to win 4 more? Yikes! Here's hoping... What's the weather look like?

Interesting about the foil thing and getting as little water (drag) contact as possible? Literally flying! My son in Cub Scouts (about 7 years ago) raced Pinewood Derby and I convinced him that getting the wheels as narrow as possible is the way to go! LoL... He even raced with only 3 wheels (one front wheel was purposely raised to not touch the track) touching the track... They changed the rules for his local Pack the following year! LoL The old days, race kit came with wheels more like checkers... Now, they give you wide tread slicks. Too much contact on the track!! LoL... The fathers had an unlimited rules race. My car raced w/ 1/16 in disks for wheels and all the wood on the body was taken off w/only enough (about 1/8 inch) left to support the axles... The body was then cut like a spring given it an "independent suspension." Weight (W: Tungsten, Hg is illegal for obvious reason) was packed as compact as possible @ the optimal position by the rear axle. Not to give too many of my secrets away... Let's just say, it wasn't even close for the other fathers even though we all weighed in @ exactly 5 oz.! LoL.. Devil... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks. I am not sure what we (US) did either with being docked races. So does that mean we have to win 4 more? Yikes! Here's hoping... What's the weather look like?

Yes the US need to sweep four to win it. Very difficult but the last two races I saw yesterday the US completely blew the Kiwis away tactically. The Kiwis have to shitting themselves and it's interesting how the Kiwis on the AC Facebook page have all of a sudden become very gracious as opposed to the arrogant bastards they were just a week ago. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

Yes the US need to sweep four to win it. Very difficult but the last two races I saw yesterday the US completely blew the Kiwis away tactically. The Kiwis have to shitting themselves and it's interesting how the Kiwis on the AC Facebook page have all of a sudden become very gracious as opposed to the arrogant bastards they were just a week ago. :lol:

When will the races be held? Last 4. I suppose I could look it up... BUT that site is very cumbersome!

Now w/that said... IF US loses... Do they take the race back to Auckland?

When will the races be held? Last 4. I suppose I could look it up... BUT that site is very cumbersome!

Now w/that said... IF US loses... Do they take the race back to Auckland?

They race every day. They were supposed to have two races today but the first race started early due to light winds so they are done for today, at least I think. So they will try to get two in tomorrow. If the Kiwis win they take it back to Auckland but they get to choose the venue. I know that Team USA got to choose the site this year and SF was in the running with a few other sites and I believe Italy was one of them. So it doesn't have to be in Auckland but I imagine they would.

They race every day. They were supposed to have two races today but the first race started early due to light winds so they are done for today, at least I think. So they will try to get two in tomorrow. If the Kiwis win they take it back to Auckland but they get to choose the venue. I know that Team USA got to choose the site this year and SF was in the running with a few other sites and I believe Italy was one of them. So it doesn't have to be in Auckland but I imagine they would.

Yep. The whole home country has been the norm... We took it from England and had it @ Newport, RI for what? 150+ years... Aussies took it to Freemantle... Kiwis to Aukland... They can take it anywhere. Didn't the Swiss syndicate win a while back... Probably why the whole "we can take it anywhere" thing got rehashed... Can't have it on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland... Or can they... Probably why Italy comes up when mentioned.

After today do we need 3 or 4? Did any races count today?

Yep. The whole home country has been the norm... We took it from England and had it @ Newport, RI for what? 150+ years... Aussies took it to Freemantle... Kiwis to Aukland... They can take it anywhere. Didn't the Swiss syndicate win a while back... Probably why the whole "we can take it anywhere" thing got rehashed... Can't have it on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland... Or can they... Probably why Italy comes up when mentioned.

After today do we need 3 or 4? Did any races count today?

Yes one race today counted so the US needs three to win and the Kiwis need one............still. :D

My wife and I were in SF last weekend (14th and 15th) and went to watch the race from the finish line on Pier 29. The America's Cup park was awesome and the boats were incredible to watch.I got a lot of great pics. I can't post them here directly, but I made an album of a few public on my FB page.

https://www.facebook...84472135&type=3

It was completely a world cup type atmosphere with folks wrapped in their country's flags, whopping it up, blowing horns. Something I'm really glad we got a chance to experience.

Edited by theesir

My wife and I were in SF last weekend (14th and 15th) and went to watch the race from the finish line on Pier 29. The America's Cup park was awesome and the boats were incredible to watch.I got a lot of great pics. I can't post them here directly, but I made an album of a few public on my FB page.

https://www.facebook...84472135&type=3

It was completely a world cup type atmosphere with folks wrapped in their country's flags, whopping it up, blowing horns. Something I'm really glad we got a chance to experience.

Kinda like a Tour de France on water? Now you are making it sound gay... Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I keed... I keed!

That damn mylar mafia!

:-)

Hope USA can pull it out! It would be nice to have it back in SF!

The America's Cup made ESPN.

I remember the races in the late 70s when Connor was cleaning up.

ESPN had all the races on, and wifey and I watched totally enthralled with the action.

They had very little original programming on then, and it was a huge hit.

I hated when they introduced cats. It's a different form of sailing - kind of like bringing a jet to a bi-plane race.

8-8. The comback is complete. It all comes down to one race tomorrow. I almost want to call in sick and head to the city. Regardless of who wins it's going to be one hell of a party after.

That's just how we were when we got hooked on the Cup. It's high drama - with a lot of strategery too!

The America's Cup made ESPN.

I remember the races in the late 70s when Connor was cleaning up.

ESPN had all the races on, and wifey and I watched totally enthralled with the action.

They had very little original programming on then, and it was a huge hit.

I hated when they introduced cats. It's a different form of sailing - kind of like bringing a jet to a bi-plane race.

That's just how we were when we got hooked on the Cup. It's high drama - with a lot of strategery too!

I wasn't crazy when they brought in the large cats. We're purists with many things including sailing. But then I saw it live and then on TV it's basically the same tactically speaking. Jockeying for position at the start is the best drama.

Conner introduced them IIRC because the Aussies beat him with a winged keel hull. Then the Kiwis had a plastic that he thought was flexible (illegal under 12 meter rules). He had differences with them on a lot of thing, but thought that went across the line. Bad blood between Connor and the Kiwis continued when they challenged him to a mega yacht race. Connor didn't have his syndicate ramped up for the defense, so he said he'd use a cat because they didn't have the money and time to build a behemoth. The cat was approved for defending the Cup, and it wiped them with it.

The Cup is a fantastic sporting event. It's the game of Kings.

Really! Wow... How does anybody come back from down 8-2 to win a best of 17! LoL. Is there any kind of advantage given (system)... Or is it just pure out sailing the other team?

This is totally unreal and cool! I was hoping all day...

No advantage. Straight up sailing. This is highly improbable, and the first time since America3 in 1992 that the US has had a successful defense!