$22,846,458.00 available cap space is GONE

papazoid

Well if you're thick, I am too. It's not uncommon to find conflicting opinions online about salary cap issues, maybe because the CBA is so hard to fully understand that there are only a few people who really understand all the details (I don't). If I see anything from a league or other reliable source that seems to definitively answer the question (either way), particularly if it cites to a CBA provision, I'll try to remember to come back and post it here.

No worries, so will I.

My "thick" comment was in frustration at being unable to have a definitive answer(at least in my head)......it really bugs me when that happens lol.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So pretty much like the free agent period we just experienced

CBF

It depends if teams can re-roll their rollover or not.

Being extremely rough with numbers....

As it stands, we are committed to 109m under the 2014 cap already. Add in Byrd(4m.....if he gets a long term contract), rookies(4m....pushes others off the top 51), Carrington, Chandler, Moats etc(9m?). That brings us to the estimated cap level of 126m.

If rollover money can't be re-rolled we will still have another 9.5m to play with.......or another 19.3m to play with if rollover money can be re-rolled.

It should be enough to grab a good FA or 2 IMO.

So pretty much like the free agent period we just experienced

CBF

yea, i would expect similar dealings. We wont need to slash and burn the roster but we can pick up a few vets, extend our guys as needed, etc...

It depends if teams can re-roll their rollover or not.

Being extremely rough with numbers....

As it stands, we are committed to 109m under the 2014 cap already. Add in Byrd(4m.....if he gets a long term contract), rookies(4m....pushes others off the top 51), Carrington, Chandler, Moats etc(9m?). That brings us to the estimated cap level of 126m.

If rollover money can't be re-rolled we will still have another 9.5m to play with.......or another 19.3m to play with if rollover money can be re-rolled.

It should be enough to grab a good FA or 2 IMO.

and will likely see a guy or two retire or cut or restructure his numbers down.... really, we are in very comfortable shape even if you cant re-rollover.

Yes, we are in a good to very good cap situation in relation to the rest of the NFL no matter how you slice it.

Only 10 teams have more cap room than the Bills next year, and most of those have 6-7 fewer players under contract, and one only has 28! Players under contract.

Edited by matter2003

yea, i would expect similar dealings. We wont need to slash and burn the roster but we can pick up a few vets, extend our guys as needed, etc...

and will likely see a guy or two retire or cut or restructure his numbers down.... really, we are in very comfortable shape even if you cant re-rollover.

I agree. It will also be the perfect year to sign players onto big contracts as the first year in long term contracts can usually be made to be a relatively low cap hit. And with the concept that matter2003 just raised, that many teams will be struggling with their cap.....we might just be able to pick up a Good FA or 2 and not just the role fillers types that we picked up last off-season.

Yes, we are in a good to very good cap situation in relation to the rest of the NFL no matter how you slice it.

Only 10 teams have more cap room than the Bills next year, and most of those have 6-7 fewer players under contract, and one only has 28! Players under contract.

I think many around here would be shocked by what other teams deal with annually managing the cap. If we sign anyone it's doomsday for our future in free agency on the board - truth is you can be very aggressive and still not have much in the way of issues.

28! = 3.0488834461171384e+29

That is, seriously, a lot of players. :thumbsup:

actually I think we will be in good shape salary cap wise.

i'm going to predict around plus $25 million in available cap space to start free agency based on the following:

plus $19 mil carry over

plus $10 mil under the league cap (current $19 - 9 carry over from last year= $10)

plus $10 mil saved by not signing any of our own UFA's (Chandler, Carrington, Branch, Moats, Legursky)

plus $5 mil by cutting some big names (kolb, brad smith)

plus $5 mil by cutting low level players

minus $17 mil in automatic increases to core players

minus $5 mil in rookie allotment

minus $2 mil in Byrd's long term deal (over the current $7 mil tag value) if Byrd is traded, this turns into a plus $7 mil