Jairus Byrd our Peyton Hillis Headache

I'm frustrated because I want Byrd out there. But this view is completely one sided. If he gets injured playing on a one year deal, he loses millions. Parker has a slimy job but he is getting his players paid. If that was your family member, you'd want the same thing.

And I'd hate to get religion involved, but Byrd doesn't strike me as a guy to fake something.

Me either. He's pissed he didn't get his money, no doubt. But I don't think for a second there's malicious intent behind him not playing.

this livelihood non sense is crapola

Byrd turned down any-where's from $17 - $20 mil in guaranteed money.. that is plenty of livelihood... That is if he wanted to be a Buffalo Bill... Stevie, K. Williams, Dareus, And M. Williams all got between $17 mil - $24 mil in guaranteed money. Pretty safe to say Byrd was offered something like that

Him not playing will cost him money next year, and I doubt we tag a player with 2 gimpy feet who can't play, and I doubt another team would even consider making him a top 5 contract without a boat load of incentives if he can't make it on the field this year.

The players voted on the CBA and that included the franchise tag, therefore if injury faking is happening then that IMO is a violation of the CBA agreement... Maybe Byrd should of taken the bird in the hand instead of holding out for 2 in the bush..

We'll see how this progresses but if by the end of Sept he still can't find his way on the field then he will forever just be another me 1st prima donna douche

Was Byrd not offered a long term deal that paid him between 7-8million a year? If that's the case, where do you draw the line between sufficiently supporting your family and greed?

Fair point, but who you take less than you thought you were worth? Football is not like other sports. Your career can end on a single play and your contract is not guaranteed.

And agent is a very slimy career but Parker can jsut point to Jason Peters as evidence he gets what he wants.

Was Byrd not offered a long term deal that paid him between 7-8million a year? If that's the case, where do you draw the line between sufficiently supporting your family and greed?

Would you leave 8 mil on the table? It's easy for the layman to assume they would, but unless one is in the position to do so we have no idea how we might act in that situation.

I'm very thankful to have witnessed his rookie 3 interception debut. But yesterdays loss is Byrd's fault. Would have loved to see him hawk the ball and blast Amedola over and over. In 2011 the now washed up Peyton Hillis sat out games having a severe case of "Show me the money" bug aka strep throat. Byrd is doing the same thing w his contract issue w the mysterious plantar fasciitis affliction. He is awful for doing it and his team mates need to front him. He was not made a team captain but its still not enough. Look at his videos and the writers walking on egg shells over it. He is not sincere w his "it is what it is" and his waiting for the day that the pain goes away hopefully bf game day. This is not football toughness, this is a young mans poor timing to stop the posturing. Doug the GM is young and being challenged by a brat w the season having started. The team and GM must do something now. Byrd will play and cherry pick a victory and posture that he was the difference maker. It is a business but the season has kicked off. Byrd needs to suit up or become a ruined journeyman like Hillis.

How do you know how his foot feels? Reading between the lines you're basically suggesting he's faking injury to posture for a new contract which is absurd.

Edited by DDD

Lol I'm not suggesting it. I'm def accusing him of it. See my tag #fakeinjury Sherlock? "100%" is what Byrd said. So happy Woods got paid. Two devastating leg injuries and I'm sure he started at 100%! Look at Byrds body language and statements. Hes cheating the team bc he is bitter. The Fran tag was a tool agreed to by both sides. He is breaking the code of war.

If Byrd expects another team to make him the top paid safety, he has to show he's worth it. And the way he does it is to play at a high level. If he spends a lot of time on the bench, no way does he get the big bucks. The worst thing for him would be to get a rep as either a faker or as chronically hurt. He & his agent aren't idiots: they know he has to get on the field & play out of his mind. So all this talk of him dogging it or pampering himself is foolish.

As to him avoiding playing so he doesn't get hurt & "leaving millions on the field," all he has to do is take out insurance that covers that possibility.

exactly. he is NOT the best safety in the league. the Bills offered him a fair deal. he is a greedy, whiny little bit*h. If other teams thought he was the best safety in the league they would offer a 1st round pick for him. Say a team like Texas, who will have a low 1st and NEEDS a safety. Clearly, no one in the NFL thinks he's the best safety.

Edited by RyanC883

exactly. he is NOT the best safety in the league. the Bills offered him a fair deal. he is a greedy, whiny little bit*h. If other teams thought he was the best safety in the league they would offer a 1st round pick for him. Say a team like Texas, who will have a low 1st and NEEDS a safety. Clearly, no one in the NFL thinks he's the best safety.

Why do fans have to get petty and name call? It's a bad look and a lot of people are just assuming crap. When has Byrd whined? The guy has done nothing but produce since he's been drafting and he looking to cash in. I wonder how fans would feel if your contract negiotations were public knowledge.

But with fans like this, I can't imagine why Byrd would want to leave.

Why do fans have to get petty and name call? It's a bad look and a lot of people are just assuming crap. When has Byrd whined? The guy has done nothing but produce since he's been drafting and he looking to cash in. I wonder how fans would feel if your contract negiotations were public knowledge.

But with fans like this, I can't imagine why Byrd would want to leave.

Agree completely.

If the kid has any heart and a love for the game, and he could play if he chose to do so, then yesterday must have been hell for him to watch. Life is short, NFL careers end in the blink of an eye.....opening day at home starting Safety on a brand new D inside a ROCKING stadium against your hated division rivals and nemesis QB.......seeing your teammates on D come out and pop people.....

How many times can you be a part of a moment like that? Sad....when the supremely talented ones seem to think it lasts forever.

That is why he wants a contract and the signing bonus that goes with it. He earned it. The signing bonus is all that matters when the team can cut you if you get hurt.

You are simply wrong on so many levels but in a weird way correct. Was Levitre the best LG in the league? No but Tenn paid him as if he was. Someone would make Byrd the highest paid safety in the league. Giving up a first round pick is a completely different arguement. Teams simply value them too much to spend on a safety. But since you can piss away picks on the likes of Aaron Maybin or get a proven player I would make the trade you suggested if I were the Texans. That being said Randy Moss netted a fourth round pick. Nobody knows what teams will offer/take for players.

There was a play or two where a healthy Byrd might have made. Leonhard did a very good job for only practicing a week. i suspect Leonhard will play better for the next couple weeks. Then age and the rigors of the NFL will begin to catch up with him, At thi spoint hopefully Byrd is ready to return.

I do not wish Byrd ill will. I want the Bills to win and dont care who they do it with.

Personally i think this D is showing that they might not need an 'elite safety' eating up a lot of cash. Instead get Gilmore healthy and then go after another CB early in the draft.

Danny Amendola was out there with his groin in tatters

Amendola signed a five-year, $28.5 million contract with $10 million guaranteed. Had the Bills extended Byrd, then he'd risk his career. Why do so otherwise?

Trade him for whatever. 3rd rounder, do it. I don't see how the Bills are able to re-sign him unless he plays terribly and his value drops. Say whatever about the injury that can't be detected, he's made it clear he's not happy here. Which is understandable, imagine if you were in a similar situation. Garbage team, garbage front office, tiny endorsement potential, horrible weather, doesn't want to commit to you risking you millions. I'd be out of Buffalo lickety-split.