Maybe Norwood wasn't to blame back in SB XXV...

MaineMoxie

Apparently I missed that discussion. Or maybe I had it back in 1990 and just blocked it out of my memory like everything else about that day.

I can't remember where, but I recall Reich being interviewed about this and him saying the position of the laces was a factor in the kick going........ I will not post the term. :cry:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Otis Anderson. 3rd, and 17. Whiffed tackles. First down.

I cannot remember, is that the run where the d lineman tripped him in the backfield his need hit and he spun and continued on or was that a Megget play?

Edited by Chimp

I actually have always held it against Frank Reich a bit that he didn't take more of a position of responsibility for the fact that the laces faced to the right on his hold.

You'd think with Reich supposedly being such a paragon of virtue that he'd have been a bit more accountable, if only to take some of the burden off Norwood.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember Reich ever commenting on the infamous kick.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/126649-super-bowl-xxv-wide-right-it-aint-hooking/

Hmmmm.

That link is now dead but from the excerpted part it doesn't sound like Reich was accepting any responsibility.

http://www.lostlette...here-is-he-now/

“Was it the perfect hold? No, it wasn’t because the laces weren’t in the perfect spot,” Norwood’s holder, Bills backup QB Frank Reich, told The Buffalo News

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

To actually see/read the report the guy did on this, YOU HAVE TO SHELL OUT $40 and buy it!!! GTF outta here!!! LOL

Unfortunately, that's the problem with these big academic journals. I can't afford to read my own papers.

New study uses aerospace and mechanical engineering modeling to demonstrate the effect of the holder on field goal accuracy.

When I was at UB I majored in aerospace and mechanical engineering and took a class with Bill Rae where we analyzed the motion of how football's moved through the air (we focused on thrown balls). This is the first time I've seen anyone look at field goals.

Frank Reich said as much himself. He said that the laces of the ball were supposed to be pointing straight toward the goal posts, but when he got the ball and spun it into to position, the laces were facing slightly to the right, so the kick went slightly wide right.

Norwood blamed himself, but all of his teammates took the blame also, because they felt that they shouldn't have put him in the position to have to kick a 47 yard field goal to win.

I watched the game in Saudi Arabia in a MWR tent with 20-30 soldiers waiting to bring the pain to Saddam. Wide right sucked but never blamed Norwood. The hold was shaky but the run defense was brutal. I was happy that the Bills got to the Super Bowl. Bitter sweet memories. At least the war went as planned and we all made it home alive.