Run defense is still a problem

Jerry Jabber

Three of the Patriots' six longest plays were on rushes. Marrone noted after the game that the Bills held the Patriots to 4.5 yards per carry (compared to 4 yards per carry by the Bills), but if you subtract the 15 yards on seven carries from LeGarrette Blount -- he was in the game because of Stevan Ridley's unforced fumble -- then the statistics aren't as rosy. Ridley and Shane Vereen combined for 147 yards on 23 carries, a 6.4-yard average that was worse than the 5 yards per carry the Bills allowed last season. The Bills run D contributed to the loss in a big way IMO. Not much has changed from last season by the run D that I could see.

I blame the LB's more so than the Tackles. I saw a few plays where instead of filling the hole, Kiko was picking a side or getting shoved out of the play completely. I think we are going to continue to have problems stopping the run until we can plug those running lanes more consistently

Both last year and this if the O can't stay on the field (and a hurry up O will make this worse), the D as a whole is going to look worse than it even is. We will see against Cam and his boys next week and it will be true or not. The run D did better as year progressed last year, I am sure some of this and other problems have to do with new players and schemes, these things take time. I just want to see improvement as the season progresses.

Both last year and this if the O can't stay on the field (and a hurry up O will make this worse), the D as a whole is going to look worse than it even is. We will see against Cam and his boys next week and it will be true or not. The run D did better as year progressed last year, I am sure some of this and other problems have to do with new players and schemes, these things take time. I just want to see improvement as the season progresses.

I'm thinking this was a major reason why as well. It seemed they were better in the first half, but 2nd half there were some big holes for their backs to run through.

DAREUS IS THE PROBLEM !!!

on run plays he is getting man handled by one blocker.

I'm starting to agree as I saw him get thrown on his azz yesterday.

The Bills got gashed (again) for big runs up the middle of the field.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

The weird thing is that I keep reading in the media how the Bills run defense looked considerably better from last year. Watching that game, I didn't get that impression at all.

I asked this before the start of the season, and I'll ask it again, if the DT's can't get it done up front this year, then should the Bills look at replacing them? Based on yesterday's performance, Kyle Williams had a sack and made a few tackles, Dareus knocked down a pass (which could have been an INT) as well as a few tackles (but was tossed on his butt by the Pats O-line). http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161144-should-the-bills-get-new-dts-in-the-offseason/

Considering the Pats had their most success running the ball up the middle of the field, that falls on the DT's.

The weird thing is that I keep reading in the media how the Bills run defense looked considerably better from last year. Watching that game, I didn't get that impression at all.

Where I think the Bills run game improved from last year was on the edges, but where it is still horrible is up the middle.