A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Good post (as always) Bill. After getting stuck in Boston trying to get home to NC, I'm finally rested up after attending this game and here are my additions to your thoughts:

1 -- Agree on being impressed with EJ. He was not spectacular, but incredibly solid and as others have noted, "poised" in the pocket. He has a calmness about him and I really believe he could be a great one as he develops and starts looking for the bigger plays downfield. The two TD throws were beautiful passes -- particularly the one he dropped into a basket to Stevie.

2 -- EXTREMELY disappointed with the 4th quarter playcalling from Hackett. Really? Running on 1st down up the middle w/ CJ when that hasn't been successful all day and the Pats* have 8 in the box?

3 -- I thought McCorner had a very solid game. On one 2nd half drive I counted three outstanding plays in a 5-play stretch. He actually showed some ball awareness!

4 -- Don't worry about taking heat for Searcy. The guy is a football player (cliche, I know) and although he has coverage limitations he has very good instincts. Happy for him that he played well Sunday.

5 -- Where's the love for Powell? Best game of this young P's career. Moorman (thanks again, Brian) is a memory.

6 -- There is a desperate Carolina team coming to Buffalo this week; only scored 7 pts. at home and facing the prospect of an 0-2 start for a team that believes they are playoff-bound.

Overall, I was obviously disappointed at the end result -- and hearing about two more broken bones (Goodwin, Brooks) is a downer -- but I believe the offense will grow and the defense proved they can keep the team in football games. Things are looking up.

Go Bills!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, or perhaps you're like every fan (including myself) and you find it much easier to notice a guy when he's accumulating sacks and knockdowns regularly. It's only natural.

I'm not harranguing on Mario, especially if he has an injured foot. I read a column by Chuck Pollack from the Olean Times Hearld. He made the same observation that I did. His quote from the column: "BY THE way, if you thought defensive end Mario Williams was inactive Sunday, you clearly missed his one tackle and single assist."

MW is an important player for the defense. If he is impaired and not playing at a high level it is going to have a major negative impact on the defense. Just something to keep an eye on.

EXACTLY !!! That falls on the oc!!

Any of you hot-heads pause to think that perhaps we ran a simplified offense today as part of the development of a rookie, a talented rookie but still a rookie, who missed half of preseason and only played 3 quarters before that? I'm not saying our offense was a potent juggernaut 'cuz it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that we had a rookie who looked poised calm and confident at the helm - which we likely wouldn't have seen if the complexity of the offense were greater.

Any of you hot-heads pause to think that perhaps we ran a simplified offense today as part of the development of a rookie, a talented rookie but still a rookie, who missed half of preseason and only played 3 quarters before that? I'm not saying our offense was a potent juggernaut 'cuz it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that we had a rookie who looked poised calm and confident at the helm - which we likely wouldn't have seen if the complexity of the offense were greater.

Read my other comment!! Its called a wrinkle hopeful. It doesn't have to be complex but adjustments needed to be made. Bottom line, YOU DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN!!

And if I heard correctly, SJ's td was an audible called by EJ. And the td to RW was a play he called because of bad communication. Don't know how true it is so correct me if I'm wrong. Developement of a talented rookie you say?? Well you take a chance on that talent. They didn't and that's just one of many things that cost us a division game.

More was needed to win. They took him 16th for a reason. Let it ride and do what you have to do to win!!! Jmho

Edited by qdawg in philly

What you've just described is, word for word, the exact description of both the K-gun offense that Jim Kelly ran here and the offense that Peyton Manning has been running in Indy and Denver for the last 12 years.

Uhhh... except for the fact that we ran a ton of different plays to Thurman Thomas out of the 'Gun; e.g. draws, off-tackle runs, direct snaps, screens, catches out of the backfield, etc. etc. I think this is what the previous poster was getting at. Just because the formation is the same doesn't mean the play-calling has to be totally predictable.

Uhhh... except for the fact that we ran a ton of different plays to Thurman Thomas out of the 'Gun; e.g. draws, off-tackle runs, direct snaps, screens, catches out of the backfield, etc. etc. I think this is what the previous poster was getting at. Just because the formation is the same doesn't mean the play-calling has to be totally predictable.

Never said it did...the poster stated that the offense kept showing the same looks, and so I pointed out that such a thing is quite common for an up tempo, no huddle offense